Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screensaver hung

Options
  • 19-12-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Last night my screensaver hung. i could go on the net but could not open any explorer window as they would just open minimised.

i just had a blank screen and i suppose the explporer windws were open underneath.

Has anyone experienced this or know how to end it from task manager.

i could not reboot as i was running a long job and also the right click personalise to end it would only open as a minimised window too
    Not much in event viewer onlyit stopped interacting with windows and was closed but it was not really or properly closed

What should I look for, is it video card? I do not see that in device manager. It is a sony vaio

OK i see it has an integrated (onboard) graphic chip on a Mobile Intel 965GM chipset. that is what works the screen saver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Why use a screen saver, just set your power management to turn off the display after a specified period of inactivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

FSL wrote: »
    Why use a screen saver, just set your power management to turn off the display after a specified period of inactivity.
    is that hibernate? Anyway i would like to know if anyone can tell me:-How to end it from task manager.What should I look for, is it video card that controls it. ?

I checked the graphic chip on a Mobile Intel 965GM chipset. says working ok no new drivers etc

Why use a screen saver,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Spiritiser wrote: »
    is that hibernate? Anyway i would like to know if anyone can tell me:-How to end it from task manager.What should I look for, is it video card that controls it. ?

I checked the graphic chip on a Mobile Intel 965GM chipset. says working ok no new drivers etc

Why use a screen saver,

If your display turns off after a few minutes this will prevent LCD burn-in. It will also save on electricity as well! :)
    You need to get new drivers via Intels website. Checking for an update in Device Manager will not always locate the most recent drivers. More often than not it won't.
    To set the screen to turn off you will do this in power options. In Windows Vista onwards you can go into control panel>power options>check balanced power theme. If you click customize beside this you can choose when you want the display to turn off. For XP it's power options in control panel again, I cannot remember the exact steps to do it. It's nothing to do with hibernation which is something entirely different

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    If your display turns off after a few minutes this will prevent LCD burn-in. It will also save on electricity as well! :)
    You need to get new drivers via Intels website. Checking for an update in Device Manager will not always locate the most recent drivers. More often than not it won't.
    To set the screen to turn off you will do this in power options. In Windows Vista onwards you can go into control panel>power options>check balanced power theme. If you click customize beside this you can choose when you want the display to turn off. For XP it's power options in control panel again, I cannot remember the exact steps to do it. It's nothing to do with hibernation which is something entirely different

Nick
    Did not know that thanks

Checked did not see a Mobile Intel 965GM chipset.Only 945 GM express chip set

I would search
    Graphics for product family
    Then laptop and then the number?

Did not know that thanks

Checked did not see a Mobile Intel 965GM chipset.Only 945 GM express chip set

I would search
    Graphics for product family
    Then laptop and then the number?

Your driver would be this :) . Pick the one to match your windows version

Nick

• Advertisement

i got it to scan under ie no mention of that update. wlan update is all

i got it to scan under ie no mention of that update. wlan update is all

Not sure what version of Windows you are on but assuming Windows Vista 32Bit your driver would be this download

Nick

Advertisement