Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Saving Food Types & Tips

• 19-12-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

With money being tighter and tighter these days, I am looking for ideas or brands of food that I can save money on without skimping on the health of my dogs.

Since birth I have had my dogs on Red Mills with no issues but at 48 euro a bag, lets face it and be honest, good quality food is not cheap. If you are feeding big dogs then a 15kg does not last long.

I don't feed my dog wet food, never have. They are fed Kibbles and some scraps, fruit and veg.

Is it worth mixing food, like a cheap one with an expensive one in order to bulk it up?

I know this has most likely been covered before but has anyone tried or is anyone using:

http://www.petconnection.ie/acatalog...Food_15kg.html

This stuff looks ok and if I was to buy 4 bags of it, it would be free delivery to ROI.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

logik wrote: »
    With money being tighter and tighter these days, I am looking for ideas or brands of food that I can save money on without skimping on the health of my dogs.

Since birth I have had my dogs on Red Mills with no issues but at 48 euro a bag, lets face it and be honest, good quality food is not cheap. If you are feeding big dogs then a 15kg does not last long.

I don't feed my dog wet food, never have. They are fed Kibbles and some scraps, fruit and veg.

Is it worth mixing food, like a cheap one with an expensive one in order to bulk it up?

I know this has most likely been covered before but has anyone tried or is anyone using:

http://www.petconnection.ie/acatalog...Food_15kg.html

This stuff looks ok and if I was to buy 4 bags of it, it would be free delivery to ROI.

Personally I wouldnt mix cheap and good quality dried dog food together, you kinda defeating the purpose of feeding them higher quality food...

have you thought about bulking their dinner up with extra veg or brown rice? you can get these really cheaply etc..

or mix a tin of Sardines in one day per week, reduce the dried food... same applies to a raw egg...

or have you thought about getting some kidneys / liver etc (offal i think) its very very cheap from your local butchers...along with boiled brown rice will really help.

Personally i buy Tast of the wild, buy two 15kg bags, i use the raw eggs and sardines once per week etc...

Best of luck

Edited to say if you did switch to a higher quality again they would require a lessor portion again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

logik wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

What pet connection food is it? Is it the £20 for 12kg? I didn't think they offered free delivery? Have you looked into skinners on amazon with subscribe and save? It actually has gone up a lot in price recently :( I buy the field and trial duck and rice one although the salmon and rice is cheaper at the mo! I feed 3 labs on it and feed the same amount as burns, a bag lasts me around 20 days I think. The dogs look great, not overweight and their coats are fab :) I don't supplement their food intentionally however I will add leftovers if otherwise they were going to be thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Skinners Field and Trial (duck and rice variety) working out about €33 per 15kg bag these days - still a really good price for a product that could easily sell for €50-€60 a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

another fan of Skinners via Amazon. Paid 37 euro the other day for it - somehow I never get it as cheap as the others on here. But its a good €10 less than leader and its a decent food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Inexile wrote: »
    another fan of Skinners via Amazon. Paid 37 euro the other day for it - somehow I never get it as cheap as the others on here. But its a good €10 less than leader and its a decent food.

Did you subscribe and save? I subscribe and save for 5 things in total 2 bags of skinners 2 boxes of Nicorette (which is way way cheaper than in chemist) and 1 other item which I change this month it is nappies so I get 15% off total price. My dec delivery for skinners is £22.44 (it's not coming till 27th dec) which was price locked in on 25th nov. I only realised recently price keeps changing so I try and log in most days and check prices if I see it cheaper one day I will add it to my subscriptions at lower price and cancel more expensive bag! It might sound like a lot of hassle but it's actually grand and I would save a good £10 this month on 3 items :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

boomerang wrote: »
    Skinners Field and Trial (duck and rice variety) working out about €33 per 15kg bag these days - still a really good price for a product that could easily sell for €50-€60 a bag.

Will take a look into this food, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Millem wrote: »
    Did you subscribe and save? I subscribe and save for 5 things in total 2 bags of skinners 2 boxes of Nicorette (which is way way cheaper than in chemist) and 1 other item which I change this month it is nappies so I get 15% off total price. My dec delivery for skinners is £22.44 (it's not coming till 27th dec) which was price locked in on 25th nov. I only realised recently price keeps changing so I try and log in most days and check prices if I see it cheaper one day I will add it to my subscriptions at lower price and cancel more expensive bag! It might sound like a lot of hassle but it's actually grand and I would save a good £10 this month on 3 items :)
    No Im not on the subscribe and save . The OH orders it so will get him to do so and he can always add on a book to the order if needs be as he gets a bit from them anyway. I had heard about the S&S but hadn't really looked into it. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Get to know your local butcher. I get a big box of meat off mine twice a week. It includes everything from sausages and pigs feet to chicken carcasses and bones. I get that free and I don't even buy that much off him.

I then freeze some of that in a chest freezer I bought on Adverts for €85.

I also highly recommend Skinners.

Advertisement