Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florentine centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Wow

Almost 20 years of holding the town to ransom is over.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

I heard (not sure how true it is but there are already agreements in place for 2 anchor tenants) Penneys and tkmaxx. As I said I don't know how true this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Great news for the town.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Personally I think BTC are largely responsible for the decline in the town. Refusing Tesco and Dell and the debacle over this proposed shopping centre, the lack of public parking at the Council Offices etc. I cannot see anything but a public parking area continuing in this location. Who is going to finance a multi-million development.

Tippex wrote: »
    I heard (not sure how true it is but there are already agreements in place for 2 anchor tenants) Penneys and tkmaxx. As I said I don't know how true this is.
    The rumours about Penneys have been flying around for years. They were supposed to be going into into industrial yarns

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Personally I think BTC are largely responsible for the decline in the town. Refusing Tesco and Dell and the debacle over this proposed shopping centre, the lack of public parking at the Council Offices etc. I cannot see anything but a public parking area continuing in this location. Who is going to finance a multi-million development.
    This shopping centre development cannot be blamed on BTC. It was the private developers that sat on it so long.

Tesco is in a bad location to be developed. It's in a main town thoroughfare surrounding about 6 or 8 housing estates and 6 or 8 schools. The extra traffic would have been horrendous and Bray couldn't have coped.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Bray Town Councils solution to traffic management is traffic lights. They don't have a strategy. The locating of the town councils offices without adequate parking was made by them.

BTC has some blame to take, blaming the developer wholly is incorrect. It's location is not suitable anyway. Traffic is already at peak in the town center. Just look at the traffic entering Bray from the N11 and from Windgates. It's probably the worst town in Wicklow to drive in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This shopping centre development cannot be blamed on BTC. It was the private developers that sat on it so long.

Tesco is in a bad location to be developed. It's in a main town thoroughfare surrounding about 6 or 8 housing estates and 6 or 8 schools. The extra traffic would have been horrendous and Bray couldn't have coped.

This old chestnut.

They said the same thing when Lidl was opening and the traffic has not been impacted there at all.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This old chestnut.

They said the same thing when Lidl was opening and the traffic has not been impacted there at all.

There are a lot less schools around Lidl so it isn't comparable

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its Come Full Cirlce was always a Carpark there, Besides Demolition of some Buildings, The Facades that are being Held up by Scaffolding will probably be knocked in time, I Understand Shop Local and the Shop Owners Commitee or whatever there called but there is nothing in Bray when you can Drive to Dundrum 10mins away & Park for €2 They have dug there own Hole when it Comes to Retail and Facilites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Its Come Full Cirlce was always a Carpark there, Besides Demolition of some Buildings, The Facades that are being Held up by Scaffolding will probably be knocked in time, I Understand Shop Local and the Shop Owners Commitee or whatever there called but there is nothing in Bray when you can Drive to Dundrum 10mins away & Park for €2 They have dug there own Hole when it Comes to Retail and Facilites.

To be quite honest I don't see the appeal of Dundrum. I would say I buy 99% local in Bray and never had a problem finding the things I need.

There are a lot less schools around Lidl so it isn't comparable

Seriously do,you think people are going to supermarkets and schools at the same time?

Really a pro reason to stop development.
    Ikea was supposed to bring chaos as well and it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ikea was supposed to bring chaos as well and it didn't happen.

IKEA required serious traffic mitigation to handle the initial rush of half the country going to take a look at it. Opening late and charging for parking in peak times to force people to go there off-peak.

MYOB wrote: »
    IKEA required serious traffic mitigation to handle the initial rush of half the country going to take a look at it. Opening late and charging for parking in peak times to force people to go there off-peak.

They were measures imposed that to tackle a problem that wasn't really there.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Preusse wrote: »
    To be quite honest I don't see the appeal of Dundrum. I would say I buy 99% local in Bray and never had a problem finding the things I need.

I agree. Since I don't drive I had to get a Dart into town then the Luas to Dundrum (This was before the Cherrywood station opened) and all that effort just to go somewhere over priced is a waste of time considering most of my needs are in Bray and a lot cheaper. I don't think I'd ever go back to Dundrum again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Are you actually joking... do you all buy your clothes in Dunnes, City 2, Lifestyle, In The Groove, Allen, Monica Peters, Milan and co. and that tiny dress shop where the petshop used to be? If so, I commend your determination.

Are you actually joking... do you all buy your clothes in Dunnes, City 2, Lifestyle, In The Groove, Allen, Monica Peters, Milan and co. and that tiny dress shop where the petshop used to be? If so, I commend your determination.

Not joking at all. I also find some good clothes in Enable Ireland as well. Sometimes we go out "further", i.e. Dun Laoghaire or Cornelscourt but I can honestly say we never went to Dundrum for our shopping needs.

Whatever about the merits of Bray or Dundrum shopping, buying online is an alternative that many people, myself included do as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Preusse wrote: »
    Not joking at all. I also find some good clothes in Enable Ireland as well. Sometimes we go out "further", i.e. Dun Laoghaire or Cornelscourt but I can honestly say we never went to Dundrum for our shopping needs.

I'm no Dundrum worshipper believe me, but I meant that I don't believe people are content with the clothes shopping opportunities in Bray to not venture to Dublin, Dun Laoghaire and online for their clothes!

I'm no Dundrum worshipper believe me, but I meant that I don't believe people are content with the clothes shopping opportunities in Bray to not venture to Dublin, Dun Laoghaire and online for their clothes!

As a guy the only shop I would consider in Bray is Allen's but hardly ever buy anything in it.

Apart from on-line, I would definitely go to Dundrum or City centre over Bray.

The whole experience in both regarding choice of shops and somewhere for lunch etc is much better than what Bray has to offer.

Sorry to say that but it's the way it is.

Bray has too many €2 shops, hairdressers, poor cafes and charity shops.
    Many in a poor and run down condition as well which would not entice you in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

One thing definitely missing from Bray is variety of clothes shops for women. I hope that by doing my bit to shop in Bray as much as possible it will increase the chances of more shops coming to the town.

I'm not that pushed on branded clothes to be honest. I like Tansey's though and for some other stuff I use Dunne's. It would be nice to have Penneys here as well I think but then again I only need to get new shirts, jumpers, etc once in a while. I actually did buy some jackets and trousers over in Germany recently, in C&A, the quality was good and the prices so much cheaper than here.

My understanding is that the site will be developed as a shopping centre

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Hope so Mango, the town centre needs something to draw people back in.

Hope so Mango, the town centre needs something to draw people back in.

It's looking very likely and also that BTC might put this through as a part 8 planning planning application which would make it quicker

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I hope it focuses on retail and lots of reasonably priced parking. Nobody wants to build or buy apartments these days. If they build the retail and don't put in adequate parking, they might as well not bother.

What's the hold up with developing the old golf club site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

I believe the idea of including apartments has been scrapped completely heard that on east coast before xmas.
    The hold up with the golf club is I believe pizarro are nama'd but not 100% oon that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

I would love to see a european style plaza square with small shops, coffee shops & restaraunts all around the four sides. SOme of the businesses could run all the way through from back to front on either main st/Quinnsboro/florence, whilst others could be back to back units. I wouldn't mind to see either residential or office above some of the shop units, perhaps even one two or three story department store on one side.. as long as the heights dont stretch out above the existing ones they'd be backing on to.

Maintain basically the same entrances as they are now but build over them as little arcade style tunnel entrances. Parking would remain an issue of course but as long as it's not a Dundrum scale mega development you could probably get away with one floor of underground.

Save the Major development for the golf course lands & plan for eventually linking them up with pedestrian flow across a footbridge landing where the semi derelict brady centre is at present, up via the crossroads at molloys.

I would love to see a european style plaza square with small shops, coffee shops & restaraunts all around the four sides. SOme of the businesses could run all the way through from back to front on either main st/Quinnsboro/florence, whilst others could be back to back units. I wouldn't mind to see either residential or office above some of the shop units, perhaps even one two or three story department store on one side.. as long as the heights dont stretch out above the existing ones they'd be backing on to.

Maintain basically the same entrances as they are now but build over them as little arcade style tunnel entrances. Parking would remain an issue of course but as long as it's not a Dundrum scale mega development you could probably get away with one floor of underground.

Save the Major development for the golf course lands & plan for eventually linking them up with pedestrian flow across a footbridge landing where the semi derelict brady centre is at present, up via the crossroads at molloys.

Good idea - now is the time to contact Council members with ideas - it would only take a few minutes to email them all

http://braytowncouncil.ie/pages/town-councillors.php

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 thebrick

In the last month the Old bray inn shut, ledwidges shut, the town is dying a slow death. Everyone hops in the car and shops in carrickmines or dundrum.

It needs someone in the council to take a gamble and turn the car park into a continental style town square, bars, restaurants and boutique shops.

People use amazon and the like for a lot of shopping , bray needs to offer something different to attract shoppers.

Advertisement