Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unexpected in-lamb ewes - what to feed?

• 19-12-2013 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello,

A bit of an embarrassing problem here - which does nothing to show my animals husbandry skills (or lack of I suppose it shows) :(

I have some in lamb ewes, who I would prefer not to be in lamb... They are in lamb to some lamb rams, who at 4 months old, I thought wouldn't have been up to the job... Turns out I was very wrong :(

Anyways... I now have some ewes getting heavy, I don't know when exactly they will lamb, and as they aren't scanned, I don't know what numbers they are carrying.
    So - I am in a dilemma as to how much do I feed them?

I have them inside, on straw and some (ok-ish but not super) hay. I have started feeding them oats, and some soya meal, and they have access to a mineral bucket.
    I think this is safer, than feeding them ewe nuts when I am not sure of the lambing date or what they are carrying...

So - any thoughts on what and how much to feed?

Oh - I should add, i would expect they would lamb in the next 2 - 3 weeks, based on weaning date. (I put off weaning this year, as I had loads of grass, and said the small bit of milk the lambs were getting and keeping the ewes on good grass wouldn't do any harm... How wrong I was... :( )

As I said - bit embarrassed to admit making such a mistake... :mad: :o

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I think you have it covered. If it were me i'd feed them ewe nut as if the have twins coming in 3 weeks
    They'll be fine. Id rather risk a problem large single than twin lambs disease and weak lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

don't for get clostridial booster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    don't for get clostridial booster

Good point Lano thanks.

As the majority won't be lambing til mid March - would I be ok to give them all their annual booster now, or would it be too far in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Good point Lano thanks.

As the majority won't be lambing til mid March - would I be ok to give them all their annual booster now, or would it be too far in advance?

If it's Hep P + then give it to them 4-6 weeks before lambing. Too early now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If it's Hep P + then give it to them 4-6 weeks before lambing. Too early now.
    I would think that would go for any of the clostridial vaccines such as covexin 8 or 10

• Advertisement

I would think that would go for any of the clostridial vaccines such as covexin 8 or 10

Only familiar with Hep P +, we dropped Covexin 8 a very long time ago after an indoors flock health issue.

The label of the particular poison of choice should be available online in .pdf form using Google advanced search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

r they springin???

feed them oats it shud keep them goin witout getting single lambs too big
    maybe feed thiner ewes a small bit of 18% meal;

they shud b ok....it could happen to anyone sure:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

what were they one before now?

razor8 wrote: »
    what were they one before now?

Hi Razor,

They were out on grass up to now. No other feed.

Would getting them scanned now be of any benefit, I am not too familiar with it's limitations so it may be a silly suggestion.

• Advertisement

r they springin???

There is one showing a springing, the other few are only big looking yet. No signs of springing.

Would getting them scanned now be of any benefit, I am not too familiar with it's limitations so it may be a silly suggestion.

I am not sure, but I couldn't justify the cost to scan a few only. I mean, I think the scanner has a call out charge of minimum 50 euro maybe, so to scan a few sheeps would be too expensive.

r they springin???

thin ewes better getting more energy than protien,
    protien will make lambs bigger causing further drain on the ewe.
    I find whole maize & beet pulp usefull with thin ladies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

also no harm to have bottle of calcium ready....just incase

Hi Razor,

They were out on grass up to now. No other feed.

If the grass was good quality I would imagine they will be fine with nuts now, is it possible to leave them out on grass in separate batch and feed them on their own?

razor8 wrote: »
    If the grass was good quality I would imagine they will be fine with nuts now, is it possible to leave them out on grass in separate batch and feed them on their own?

Hi Razor,

The grass was ok, but not super - old grass. But I kept em moved as well, so they should have had a fresh enough pick every few days like.

I don't have the grass now for em, not enough to run two batches. Plus, if I will have some small lambs soon, will try to save the small bit of grass I have now, to put em out on.

So they're in the shed for now, they have straw, some hay and oats twice a day. So we'll see how we go... :confused::(

Hi Razor,

The grass was ok, but not super - old grass. But I kept em moved as well, so they should have had a fresh enough pick every few days like.

I don't have the grass now for em, not enough to run two batches. Plus, if I will have some small lambs soon, will try to save the small bit of grass I have now, to put em out on.

So they're in the shed for now, they have straw, some hay and oats twice a day. So we'll see how we go... :confused::(

They,ll be grand UJ, let's us know when they arrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    thin ewes better getting more energy than protien,
    protien will make lambs bigger causing further drain on the ewe.
    I find whole maize & beet pulp usefull with thin ladies .

agree with to a point, but ewes getting near lambing will need P, otherwise will have poor quality and very little colostrum, and sleepy lambs.

we currently feeding a 14% mix to ewes due 6th jan onwards will be upping this to 18% over the next few days

not saying it's right but it works in our situation

jomoloney wrote: »
    agree with to a point, but ewes getting near lambing will need P, otherwise will have poor quality and very little colostrum, and sleepy lambs.

we currently feeding a 14% mix to ewes due 6th jan onwards will be upping this to 18% over the next few days

not saying it's right but it works in our situation

my appologies, I agree they need protien,I mix the maize with a 18% ration thus increasing the energy and reducing protien%...quality protien vital....fishmeal was great for colostrum.....

Found this little one running about yesterday morning when I went out :D

286031.JPG

All well. Nice little Christmas present I must say... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

will have to name him jesus

will have to name him jesus

ha ha - I suggested that, suggestion was turned down by the missus, and was told she should be called Nollaig instead :)

Well - just to finish up this thread, all unexpected ewes have lambed here now. :)

15 ewes, 16 lambs. Most of the ewes had sinlges. Not a huge crop... :rolleyes:

I lost 2 lambs, Singles of course... One was dead when I went into the shed, think the ewe was too long lambing, even tho I checked em a few hours beforehand. And another lamb was coming back ways, and I didn't handle the sheep soon enough, so that one was kinda my own fault. :(

Anyways, all done now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Well - just to finish up this thread, all unexpected ewes have lambed here now. :)

15 ewes, 16 lambs. Most of the ewes had sinlges. Not a huge crop... :rolleyes:

I lost 2 lambs, Singles of course... One was dead when I went into the shed, think the ewe was too long lambing, even tho I checked em a few hours beforehand. And another lamb was coming back ways, and I didn't handle the sheep soon enough, so that one was kinda my own fault. :(

Anyways, all done now...

Well if those ewe's were for culling you are no worse off. Maybe just as well they are mostly singles as if you can get them to a bit of grass you will need to feed little enough with it. Or else you can let the twins off and feed a bit to keep going.

If you get them finished around June they will be a nice bonus.

Advertisement