Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

husky dog

• 19-12-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi a friend of mine has a 12 month Husky. The problem with him is that he is chewing everything from his toys to his dog run. When his let inside he chews furniture and every thing else. He is taken on regular walks. He rarely does what he is told and recently he has started to growl at his owner. Could anyone advise me on what I should tell her to do.

Thanking You. smile.png

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There's an awful lot going on there OP. Chewing is one thing, but growling at the owner is far more serious (though it's possible the two aren't unconnected), and it would be much more appropriate for the owner to contact a qualified behaviourist, rather than seek advice on such a serious issue on an internet forum.
    I would advise to tread very carefully when booking a behaviourist, because the industry is unregulated, and there are many cowboys operating out there who don't really know what they're at, and will probably do more harm than good. If you let us know where the owner lives, hopefully someone here can give you the contact details for a properly qualified behaviourist in her area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I had huskies for years, its normal behaviour, they do not bite but are pretty much untrainable.

Basically they will do anything for food so you have to use food as a bribe not as a treat and be very strict with the growling, as soon as they growl throw them out of the door.

They are very clever dogs but pack animals, you need to be the top dog with them........full stop. With the size and weight of them you just have to be boss, anything else could end in tears.

They eat skirting boards, carpets, shoes, anything really and then look and laugh at you lol

They are not easy dogs to look after but if you get control of them (males HAVE to be neutered) they are lovely, affectionate and loyal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I had huskies for years, its normal behaviour, they do not bite but are pretty much untrainable.

Basically they will do anything for food so you have to use food as a bribe not as a treat and be very strict with the growling, as soon as they growl throw them out of the door.

They are very clever dogs but pack animals, you need to be the top dog with them........full stop. With the size and weight of them you just have to be boss, anything else could end in tears.

They eat skirting boards, carpets, shoes, anything really and then look and laugh at you lol

They are not easy dogs to look after but if you get control of them (males HAVE to be neutered) they are lovely, affectionate and loyal

Oh dear. Some terrible advice there about the boss, top dog,pack leader etc. That's all been proven wrong and outdated, any decent trainer will tell you that.
    Males don't have to be neutered. Where are you getting this info from??
    Please op, do not take most of the advice here.
    Dbb gave great advice so I'd go with that.

From experience of that particular breed, my last one lived for 17 years

From experience of that particular breed, my last one lived for 17 years

But what's the reason for saying they have to be neutered? Why is it a must?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭jackboy

'when he's let inside'. This implies that he doesn't spend much time in the house. Huskies need to live in the house with thefamily to be happy. It sounds like he is lonely and frustrated.

I have had old english, dobermans, st bernards and huskies.

All of the other big dogs behave the way you treat them and bring them up. I had huskies years ago when they first came to Ireland, the males get very very agressive and all 8 stone of them will mount and ride anything, neutering them will stop the snarling, when 8 stone of pure muscles launches at you with bare teeth and snarling its very scary.

I now think after having 3 huskies that they became so popular because of their looks that in Ireland they are very inbred, I had them around babies and toddlers but because I was boss they behaved. If I was not there they were worse than teenagers for my ex husband.

I am not saying all dogs need such severe training but huskies do, really they are not pets and no matter how much we try to domesticate them they never will be but they are amazing dogs to have once you accept they are not the "normal" domestic dog

I think a lot of people will disagree with you including husky experts on here.
    Just because a dog isn't neutered doesn't mean he's going to a snarling aggressive dog and huskies are not 8 stone.
    I have an entire male rottweiler who is not a snarling vicious dog. you are really giving out terrible advice.

Oh by the way, all dogs are domesticated.
    I really would love to know where you are getting this incorrect info from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

8 Stone really? The Husky is a medium sized breed. They should never weight 8 stone. Would love to see these 8 stone dogs.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but I did say I have had dobermans who were well behaved, and yes Samoyeds are 8 stone. I think you need to own one to comment, they are very different to most big dogs, I had 2 males and 1 female who lived to 15 (2 of them) and 17 and broke my heart when they died, they are seriously hard work but so loving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I think you need to get a new weighing scales. The Samoyed Males weight up to 30kg. Nowhere near 8 stone.

I don't need to own one. My hobby means I see & get to handle lots of quality examples of both breeds.

Fair enough but I did say I have had dobermans who were well behaved, and yes Samoyeds are 8 stone. I think you need to own one to comment, they are very different to most big dogs, I had 2 males and 1 female who lived to 15 (2 of them) and 17 and broke my heart when they died, they are seriously hard work but so loving

Are you for real?? Males are only around 30kg, no where near 8 stone. Even Rottweilers aren't 8 stone.
    Even look up the breed standard. Honestly your advice and info is completely wrong and incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A healthy, adult male samoyed does not weigh 8 stone.

Anyway, to the OP. Yes, he may be walked enough, but to me he does not sound mentally stimulated at all, walking is not enough with some dogs, they need actual interaction and play with their owner. Has the dog gotten any form of training at all? I'd highly advise the dog be involved in some classes or a behaviourist/trainer be contacted for a proper look at what is going on.

If the husky is not receiving positive reinforcement for when he is doing good things (the owner may be doing a lot of scolding of this dog because of all the unwanted behaviour he is displaying) the relationship between the owner and dog may be strained, causing the husky to become even worse with its behaviour, i.e. growling.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

VonVix wrote: »
    A healthy, adult male samoyed does not weigh 8 stone.

Anyway, to the OP. Yes, he may be walked enough, but to me he does not sound mentally stimulated at all, walking is not enough with some dogs, they need actual interaction and play with their owner. Has the dog gotten any form of training at all? I'd highly advise the dog be involved in some classes or a behaviourist/trainer be contacted for a proper look at what is going on.

If the husky is not receiving positive reinforcement for when he is doing good things (the owner may be doing a lot of scolding of this dog because of all the unwanted behaviour he is displaying) the relationship between the owner and dog may be strained, causing the husky to become even worse with its behaviour, i.e. growling.

I would say this is quite possible alright. If the dog is misbehaving and the owner is hitting him etc then he made be growling in self defense a such. I would have to agree with DBB though on everything said.

Oh and males are 30Kg MAX which is about 4.5 Stone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Let's all take a chill pill...

Firstly, my lad is one of the strongest, well built huskies I've ever seen. And a tad overweight at 28kg, he's just over 4 stone. Breed standard for a male tops out at 27kg. 8 stone is nonsense!!!

Secondly OP... Define 'regular walks'? Siberians need two walks, daily, minimum. And routine. Lots of regular, routine!

Untrainable? Eat anything (skirting boards, shoes, etc)? HAVE to be neutered? Don't make me laugh.

My lad was only neutered at 2 years - as he had one undescended testicle. His behaviour was, and is, nothing short of exemplary. His dad and all his siblings are intact - and the most chilled out dogs ever. Because they are well exercised and cared for!

Untrainable? My lad does tricks that would give a magician a run for his money. A very smart, if stubborn, breed. Independent and intelligent. Stimulating a dogs brain, IMO, is as important as physical exercise. I make a point to play with Hugo twice daily. They need the interaction.

Eat anything? Hugo has never chewed anything other than the brisket bones I give him to keep his teeth clean!

Why? Because he's been trained that way. Like any other dog, you get out what you put in. Hard work, routine and persistence in the EARLY days is key.

If the has these issues at 12 months OP, as DBB says... There's a lot going on. And the foundations are well laid by now.

A well exercised,stimulated, indoors dog, that's part of the pack and has daily routine - won't exhibit all of these nonsense on thread 'behaviours'.

Have a behaviourist break down these symptoms and tackle each individually. Good luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Heh...
    Talk about having your point proved in the space of minutes!
    Throw him out the door? Sheesh.
    OP, it is because of the above sort of advice that I recommended your friend go to a lot of trouble to make sure they get themselves a qualified behaviourist: they'll know the behaviourist is qualified because qualified behaviourists do not advocate disproven, potentially harmful approaches to training (e.g. pack leadership, being the boss, all that tripe), and do not use sweeping generalisations based on their own limited, anecdotal experience.

Luckily, OP's friend lives within the catchment of a super, qualified behaviourist who will certainly be able to help, I've passed on contact details. Wish your friend all the best OP, I hope she gets it all sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

DBB wrote: »
    Heh...
    Talk about having your point proved in the space of minutes!
    Throw him out the door? Sheesh.
    OP, it is because of the above sort of advice that I recommended your friend go to a lot of trouble to make sure they get themselves a qualified behaviourist: they'll know the behaviourist is qualified because qualified behaviourists do not advocate disproven, potentially harmful approaches to training (e.g. pack leadership, being the boss, all that tripe), and do not use sweeping generalisations based on their own limited, anecdotal experience.

Luckily, OP's friend lives within the catchment of a super, qualified behaviourist who will certainly be able to help, I've passed on contact details. Wish your friend all the best OP, I hope she gets it all sorted :)

Thanks for all your comments and I glad it started a good chat on it. From what you saying , I think my friend isn't spending nearly enough time with the dog and he gets walked only once a day. This walk would only be about a mile. I did say when she was getting this dog that it would require a lot or care and that its appearance comes at a price

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your comments and I glad it started a good chat on it. From what you saying , I think my friend isn't spending nearly enough time with the dog and he gets walked only once a day. This walk would only be about a mile. I did say when she was getting this dog that it would require a lot or care and that its appearance comes at a price

Take your friends dog and his 'issues' and at the other end of the scales place a one mile a day walk. I'm guessing its a mostly 'outside' dog, with little contact with it's owner... We know which way the scales are tipping!!!

Now, take my husky. Or any other 'well behaved' Sibe. I'm just after letting him out to 'go pee' before bed (crated from midnight to 7am). Alarm set for 7, 3-5k walk, home for a shower and we have breakfast together. Him in his crate, me at the table. He doesn't touch his meal till I start eating. Not a 'dominance' alpha blah blah setup. Just routine. We eat together.

Out back at 8.50am when I hit the office. Nearly forgot... Remove lunch time feed from freezer. His, not mine. Back home around 1.30 where he's let in, I cook my dinner - and whilst it cooks, it's 10 mins of play and/or training & tricks. Right, dinner is done! As soon as I plate up - he hits his crate. Or, if it's nice out, a flick of my head towards the back door - and he knows its al fresco dining today. Either way - his raw meal is placed in front of him and he doesn't touch it until I release him with 'go on so'. More routine.

Back to the office till 5.30. Hugo out back till I return. Home, big husky welcome... Play. Dog in. Long 7-10k walk in the evening (we take turns). Home and depending on wherever I light the fire, Hugo will join me (us) or retire to his crate.

Copy and paste. Verbatim. Mon - Fri. Every week. Without exception.

Saturdays are spent in UL, at the beach, running or bikejoring. Where we go, he goes. Sundays are lazy. Hugo has full run of downstairs. Not allowed on furniture. Only allowed upstairs to 'wake mammy' - on command.

Kennels at holiday time? As if... Hugo goes camping, to hotels and house rentals with us. We got away 5 times this year.

At this point I'm sounding like the greatest stuck-up shît on boards. Look at me and my fantastic dog... Right?

No!

Look at the time and effort that myself and my partner put in. And look at what we get back!!!

We put in the hard yards day one - and will have to do it all again soon with number 2. But... What you invest is returned ten-fold.

The more your friend puts in OP, the more that will be returned.

Night night. Up in 7 hours. Rain, hail or shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

And it's the only way it works for them.

• Advertisement

Rise and shine...
    It's dog walking time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

johnnyb6 wrote: »

OP firstly please DONT listen to some of the posts regarding "alpha male" etc its long been proved utter rubbish..

Secondly with regard to the chewing, the dog is bored and needs alot more stimulation... try this it will help but really the dogs needs waaaaaay more exercise and stimualtion:

try using Crib halt... its excellent at keeping dogs from chewing, I used it when I was at my wits end with my cocker chewing the entire houes, it sorted the issue straight out, plus its safe for animals etc.

google it, you can order it online etc!

with Regard to exercise.. you mentioned 1 mile? my cocker get 5/6 km EVERYDAY of walking and alot of this is running etc and he's very chillaxed! one mile isnt enough for a small dog let alone a husky....

Bored and lack of proper exercise and stimualtion is what is driving this dogs behaviour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Hooked wrote: »
    Let's all take a chill pill...

Firstly, my lad is one of the strongest, well built huskies I've ever seen. And a tad overweight at 28kg, he's just over 4 stone. Breed standard for a male tops out at 27kg. 8 stone is nonsense!!!

Any pics of your boy?

Is 28kg overweight if he is 23/24" at the shoulders.

I have a 3 year old male who is also 27 - 28kg.

I actually think he is a bit skinny.Would prefer him to be 30kg or there abouts, heaviest he has been is 28.6kg, lightest 26kg when he had an upset stomach and was on scrambled egg and boiled chicken for 2 days.

He was thin as a rake at 26kg, could feel bone of his spine.

Dog in the background is a female golden retriever who is a few inches shorter and is just over 30kg for example.

bherro.jpg

On the 8 stone huskies, when I was in Slovakia they had huge Malamutes mix's that were all 7 -8 stone+, massive dogs, as tall as small great dane's.

Made my Siberian look like a puppy.

edbc5746f68d440cb3b9cfc2b8cab296_zpsf6b41716.jpg

Now nearly 7 yrs old, walks anywhere from 10k upwards daily, travels everywhere with us, a dog that requires some serious commitment (just back from 5 miles in black dark through a storm) but really is as smart and as loyal as can be.

Really only seemed to fully fill out between 4 and 5 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Now nearly 7 yrs old, walks anywhere from 10k upwards daily, travels everywhere with us, a dog that requires some serious commitment (just back from 5 miles in black dark through a storm) but really is as smart and as loyal as can be.

Really only seemed to fully fill out between 4 and 5 yrs.

He is lovely, gorgeous facial markings, looks a big boy too :)

Yeah they are hard work, very hard in fact.This week I have been drowned every day.

I used to walk my boy Fado before, but now it's almost always running, really tires him out and me.

Got the belt for my waist and the lead, haven't looked back since.

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/browse-by-sport-activity/running-canicross/hands-free-waist-lead.html

Had himself and his labrador friend Benji out on the bike during the summer as well, bike takes a bit getting used to and the lab Benji isn't mad for road like Huskies are :)

Always wanted to stop for a sniff.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Any pics of your boy?

Is 28kg overweight if he is 23/24" at the shoulders.

They say that males can range from 20-27kg or 21-25 inches. Hugo was weighed yesterday and is 28.5kg.

But he doesn't 'look' overweight... I've yet to meet one as strong looking as him.

Your lad deffo does not look overweight at 28kg. Thanks for the link to the belt. Was considering one of those as we've a second one on the way. I do quite a bit of running and bikejoring. It'll be fun doing it with two - albeit a bit down the line!

Here's a few pics of 'the boy'...

null_zps15d78485.jpg

null_zps3cdd20a4.jpg

EC0F1373-387F-44F7-ACEE-44CA31552B45-5132-0000025B8887BB93.jpg

Advertisement