Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expenses issue

Options
  • 19-12-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was hired to a job which had "full clean driving licence" as a specification. I stated I was a provisional driver and was hired anyway.

My test is in the next few weeks but in the meantime I have to travel for work. Can I claim expenses despite the initial job spec?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

It depends on the company's policy re expenses.

In regards to the driving licence, a full clean licence was a requirment for the job that probably is imposed by their insurance company. If you knowingly drive a work vehicle you are not insured on you might be making an offence. It might have been overlooked by who ever hired you, but I think you have a responsibility to bring it to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, how exactly are you travelling?

AFAIK, it is illegal for a provisional driver to drive unless they are under the watchful eye of a full licensed driver who is in control of the vehicle.

You need check with the company re policies for paying for that fully licensed driver who is accompanying you, or for paying for the alternative transport arrangeements that you need to use (buses, taxis) until you can legally drive on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

For claiming mileage expenses, companies ask for a copy of your licence. This will automatically flag you as soon as they see the provisional licence.

Advertisement