Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastiff-type being walked off lead

• 19-12-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a guy walking a very large, beautiful russet-coloured dog in the area over the last number of months. It doesn't quite look like a Dogue de Bordeaux but it appears as if it may be a cross.

The guy doesn't even seem to carry a lead. I love dogs but I'm concerned about our and neighbours' cats. This dog trots along a at significant distance from its owner and the owner is pretty slight. I doubt he'd be able to control it in a pinch.

Are mastiff types required to be muzzled and on-leash in public areas? If so, since I don't know where this individual lives, what options do I have - he's seen me stand and watch him with one of the cats in my arms so he probably knows that I've some concerns.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Unless it's a restricted breed then it doesn't need to be on the lead and as the dog hasn't done anything wrong then I don't see what the problem is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

andreac wrote: »
    Unless it's a restricted breed then it doesn't need to be on the lead and as the dog hasn't done anything wrong then I don't see what the problem is...

It's a mastiff of some description. Aren't they on the breed list to be at least kept on some sort of leash? Dog control

I haven't observed it do anything wrong as yet but I'd take a loaded revolver off a toddler, even if the law allowed him to play russian roulette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

If it's on the restricted breed list, report it to the gardai.

If not leave him alone until you have evidence that the dog is dangerous.

Dog probably won't touch your cats.

I have a friend with a beautiful girl german sheperd called Shiba, best behaved dog I have ever seen, has never once shown aggression towards other animals and she has to be on the lead at all times.

It's very sad.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It's a mastiff of some description. Aren't they on the breed list to be at least kept on some sort of leash? Dog control

I haven't observed it do anything wrong as yet but I'd take a loaded revolver off a toddler, even if the law allowed him to play russian roulette.

All depends on the breed. You say mastiff type. Exactly what breed is it? Mastiff of some description doesn't state what breed it is so it might not even be on the list. Only mastiff on the list is a bullmastiff.
    Please leave the poor dog alone. He's minding his own business so maybe you should do the same.

andreac wrote: »
    All depends on the breed. You say mastiff type. Exactly what breed is it? Mastiff of some description doesn't state what breed it is so it might not even be on the list. Only mastiff on the list is a bullmastiff.
    Please leave the poor dog alone. He's minding his own business so maybe you should do the same.

I can't tell what specific breed it is, I suspect it may be a cross. It's not quite as heavy as a Dogue dB but a very similar colour to others I've seen. I thought it might be a boxer cross but perhaps it's an older pup. Like I said, it's a lovely dog.

You're probably right that I should just let it go - the dog has showed little interest in anything so far other than sniffing or marking to date. Part of my concern was that the walker has consistently avoided eye-contact but again, that might be because so many people criticise his choice of dog etc and he just wants left in peace. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

All dogs in public should be under effective control and on a lead. Dogs on the restricted list (does not = dangerous, just a stupidly compiled list prepared by stupid politicians) also need to be muzzled. However, in areas where vehicles are not an issue like fields, woods or beaches I don't have a problem with dogs of leash as long as their owners respect other dog walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    All dogs in public should be under effective control and on a lead. Dogs on the restricted list (does not = dangerous, just a stupidly compiled list prepared by stupid politicians) also need to be muzzled. However, in areas where vehicles are not an issue like fields, woods or beaches I don't have a problem with dogs of leash as long as their owners respect other dog walkers.

Sorry Bullseye1, but I believe whilst the law states they must be under control that does not necessarily mean they must be on a leash. (Unless there are additional by laws as may be the case in certain public parks).

Thankfully the law doesn't yet discriminate fully on the grounds of certain people not liking/fearing certain breeds.

You think it would be safe to have a dog off leash adjacent to a road? While the law may not specifically mention it, I would think any responsible owner would put their dog on leash while on a public footpath or adjacent to a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

Dogue de bordeauxs are not on the RB list so unless it's half bull mastiff it should not be wearing a muzzle, impossible to find out unless you ask

Bullseye it's not law to have dogs on a lead unless they are a restricted breed.

• Advertisement

That is crazy that people can have their dogs off lead on public footpaths and adjacent to roads. As I've only ever owned RBs it was always a matter of course. So it's not okay for a dog to potentially bite but it is okay for a dog to run out in front of a car and cause an accident. The people who write these laws are mentally challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I love dogs but I'm concerned about our and neighbours' cats.

A large dog like that probably wouldnt have the speed or agility to get anywhere near a cat. My neighbours cat who has chosen us to live with!, is faster than all but the nippiest of dogs and she just goes straight under a car where most dogs cant get to her. Those dogs who are fast enough or who come upon her unexpectedly generally get more of a fright than her.

Why dont you approach the dog owner and have a general chat about the dog? You can mention that you worry about your cat with dogs off leash and see what they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I can't tell what specific breed it is, I suspect it may be a cross. It's not quite as heavy as a Dogue dB but a very similar colour to others I've seen. I thought it might be a boxer cross but perhaps it's an older pup. Like I said, it's a lovely dog.

You're probably right that I should just let it go - the dog has showed little interest in anything so far other than sniffing or marking to date. Part of my concern was that the walker has consistently avoided eye-contact but again, that might be because so many people criticise his choice of dog etc and he just wants left in peace. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice.

I would safely say the walker has avoided eye contact because
    he's seen me stand and watch him with one of the cats in my arms so he probably knows that I've some concerns.

I reckon he thinks that your cat is afraid of dogs, or he knows that if he does try and speak to you that there'll be cross words. Nobody likes to be watched in that manner. He's done nothing wrong yet you stand there watching him walk his dog while protectively holding your cat from - nothing. Because nothing has happened. If the dog was cat aggressive wouldn't it have reacted by now?
    That is crazy that people can have their dogs off lead on public footpaths and adjacent to roads. As I've only ever owned RBs it was always a matter of course. So it's not okay for a dog to potentially bite but it is okay for a dog to run out in front of a car and cause an accident. The people who write these laws are mentally challenged.

The link on the bottom of your page is asking for BSL to be repealed and every dog to be treated as an individual. Yet you think every dog should be leashed?

The link on the bottom of your page is asking for BSL to be repealed and every dog to be treated as an individual. Yet you think every dog should be leashed?

If you read the appeal its to give every dog an even footing. There should be no RB list.

Disregarding the need for RBs to be muzzled you still do not see an issue with walking dogs off lead adjacent to a public road? That is the point I am making which seems to have been lost. I am not talking about public parks etc I am talking about road safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you read the appeal its to give every dog an even footing. There should be no RB list.

Disregarding the need for RBs to be muzzled you still do not see an issue with walking dogs off lead adjacent to a public road? That is the point I am making which seems to have been lost. I am not talking about public parks etc I am talking about road safety.

Do you believe that a dog can only be under the effective control of it's owner if it is on a leash?

And the OP says nothing about being adjacent to a road. It says in the 'area'. Could be a green, gated estate etc. You initially thought that effectual control=lead and since you were told this was not the case you tried to change your argument to public footpaths and roads.

Do you believe that a dog can only be under the effective control of it's owner if it is on a leash?

Most dogs no as most owners are not responsible enough. Of course there are dog owners who have full control of their dogs off leash.

And you? Do you believe all dogs are well controlled off leash and should be allowed walk freely adjacent to a road. The dancing around a straight forward question is hilarious. :pac:

And the OP says nothing about being adjacent to a road. It says in the 'area'. Could be a green, gated estate etc. You initially thought that effectual control=lead and since you were told this was not the case you tried to change your argument to public footpaths and roads.

Public includes everywhere outside your place of residence. I am changing no subject.:confused:

Title clearly reads "Mastiff-type being walked off lead".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

he's seen me stand and watch him with one of the cats in my arms so he probably knows that I've some concerns.

Or, he may just think you're an evil genius plotting to take over the world! :D

Public includes everywhere outside your place of residence. I am changing no subject.:confused:

Title clearly reads "Mastiff-type being walked off lead".

Public includes nothing of the sort. I walk my dogs on private land that I have permission to use. I also walk them on the beach which is not adjacent to any road or public footpath. You said:
    You think it would be safe to have a dog off leash adjacent to a road? While the law may not specifically mention it, I would think any responsible owner would put their dog on leash while on a public footpath or adjacent to a road.

I'm not question dodging. For what it's worth I leash my dogs on the road. Because there's no footpath where I live and it's a very busy road. Yet if I lived in an estate with quiet roads that my dogs would walk down on the footpath I wouldn't leash them.

• Advertisement

Public includes nothing of the sort. I walk my dogs on private land that I have permission to use. I also walk them on the beach which is not adjacent to any road or public footpath. You said:

I'm not question dodging. For what it's worth I leash my dogs on the road. Because there's no footpath where I live and it's a very busy road. Yet if I lived in an estate with quiet roads that my dogs would walk down on the footpath I wouldn't leash them.

I also said.

Ive no problems with any breed being off leash in areas where they won't come into contact with vehicles. But I do believe that all dogs should be on leash adjacent to roads. It is better to be safe than sorry. When off leash they may get suddenly spooked and panic and do something stupid and then the owner is full of regret.

I also said.

Ive no problems with any breed being off leash in areas where they won't come into contact with vehicles. But I do believe that all dogs should be on leash adjacent to roads. It is better to be safe than sorry. When off leash they may get suddenly spooked and panic and do something stupid and then the owner is full of regret.

But...it's your initial statement in the quoted post above that comes across as law/fact and not opinion - All dogs in public should be under effective control and on a lead.. It's incorrect, and this is the issue that myself and other posters have pointed out.

Maybe I should have included the IMO. I was not saying it was law. ALL Dogs should be on lead adjacent to public roads. No exceptions. Unlike yourself I would not even take the chance walking them through an estate. There are too many poor dog handlers/owners. We seem to be in general agreement on most of the points so I see no reason to continue the circle we appear to be on.

Maybe I should have included the IMO. I was not saying it was law. ALL Dogs should be on lead adjacent to public roads. No exceptions. Unlike yourself I would not even take the chance walking them through an estate. There are too many poor dog handlers/owners. We seem to be in general agreement on most of the points so I see no reason to continue the circle we appear to be on.

And in fairness to you if you did let them off, you have the RB legislation to deal with and if anything happened and no matter who was to blame, chances are it would be your RBs:rolleyes:

Yeah maybe i come across paranoid but with reason LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

why don't you talk to him? people in general are very receptive to interest in their pets - he might be avoiding eye contact as he is a bit shy, or used to some prejudices about his large dog. He will most likely fill you in on the temperament of his dog - the dog may be 100% around cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, as far as I can see the dog and its owner are acting within the bounds of the law. IME mastiffs are less likely to chase cats that other breeds, but if you're worried you can keep your cats in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

A cross wth a restricted breed will be subject to the same rules governing full breeds.

Firstly, I wasn't giving this guy the evil eye or anything.

Secondly, I've seen the dog walking off-lead with its owner on pavements beside a dual carriageway, a main road and in an estate on green areas and pavements. It's probably harmless and I'm probably reacting to meedja stereotyping by being a bit wary. I'll give you BSL-folks that. I simply hadn't seen a dog of that type being walked without a lead before. (I wouldn't walk a dog in my care off-lead in an area with traffic for its own protection but that wasn't my original concern or the point of my OP.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

From your description it sounds like it is a brindle bullmastiff, i have one myself. In general they are a mild tempered breed with little to no interest in chasing cats. They are quite obedient also which explains why its not on a lead.

In my opinion your cats will b absolutely fine.

Advertisement