Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping a recurring payment?

Options
  • 19-12-2013 10:32pm

I signed up to something that required a monthly sub. Within an hour I knew that it was rubbish. I went to cancel and all there was was a contact form on the website. I submitted a request to cancel. I submitted another one the following night. I have heard nothing.

Is it possible for the bank to block the payment if I continue to be ignored? I'm with Ulster Bank. Next payment is due January 16th. Would love to get this sorted before Christmas break! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I presume you either signed a standing order or a direct debit. In order to cancel you should firstly write to your bank quoting your reference no. payee and amount and ask them to cancel all future payments with immediate effect. You should also write to the Company advising them that you changed your mind and wish to cancel This should not be a problem unless you signed a contract for a specific term.

Hope the above helps.

Thanks for the reply. Actually it was an online signup thing (to a dodgy streaming site whose name I can't mention else I'll get into trouble).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you have online banking you might be able to cancel it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

All else fails, tell the bank to stop the money transfer. It's your money, and you can stop it going anywhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

As Trish said.

As long as you tell the company and the bank it will be ok. It does happen that the payment will leave anyhow but your letters will be proof you cancelled it and you will get your money back.

If you can get to a branch they can cancel it there and then and get you to sign a form and they will give you a receipt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement