Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liebherr thread

• 19-12-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭

Here ye go lads, a dedicated thread. Go nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Keep it civil please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

They make nice fridges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

Dya think they get through a lot of yellow paint? Be some craic painting the crane :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Be some loss to alot of people if it closes, in paper today they said they are not bluffing either.

After reading what some of the strikers workers said on here it sounds like they want it to close. Afraid of a days work. They must think the dole is great craic. More money heading back to Germany

• Advertisement

They have so much money invested into the premises plus what they own in killarney is another story, will they plug the plug on all this investment?

dobman88 wrote: »
    After reading what some of the strikers workers said on here it sounds like they want it to close. Afraid of a days work. They must think the dole is great craic. More money heading back to Germany
    Alot of staff there earn a weeks dole in one day so why they afraid of work?

WikiHow wrote: »
    Alot of staff there earn a weeks dole in one day so why they afraid of work?

Who knows! Just from reading some post, they are complaining about working!! Doesn't make sense. Obviously had it too good in the boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Who knows! Just from reading some post, they are complaining about working!! Doesn't make sense. Obviously had it too good in the boom
    I dont think their wages would have been hugely different to now, they be crying when its gone, wont Joe be doing some counseling then? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

They have so much money invested into the premises plus what they own in killarney is another story, will they plug the plug on all this investment?

They make Billions worldwide every year. The money they would lose by closing Killarney would be barely noticed.

There are going to be a lot of shocked people coming into the real world if it does close.

Good luck finding another job that pays you a 35% bonus just for doing your days work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Aodhagan wrote: »
    They make nice fridges.

Yes indeed they do.

Liebherr initially wanted to be in kenmare to be at a sea port, i always questioned the logistics of killarney and the practicality of it, is it up to Tarbert they go with finished products?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Liebherr initially wanted to be in kenmare to be at a sea port, i always questioned the logistics of killarney and the practicality of it, is it up to Tarbert they go with finished products?
    fenit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Can anyone enlighten me to what the company want in return for the backdated payrise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

It is without a doubt a bluff by them, most factory's spin these webs when **** hits the fan. The cost of closing, shipping machinery, hiring new staff, training and building or buying and retro fitting a new plant in a new country would be ridiculous. Let alone all the down time while the transition takes place.

It is more viable for them to pay out. While liebherr makes billions it does not take a Math genius to know that closing the plant and setting up a new plant is quite costly.

This is the bloody joys of working in a factory.

It is without a doubt a bluff by them, most factory's spin these webs when **** hits the fan. The cost of closing, shipping machinery, hiring new staff, training and building or buying and retro fitting a new plant in a new country would be ridiculous. Let alone all the down time while the transition takes place.

It is more viable for them to pay out. While liebherr makes billions it does not take a Math genius to know that closing the plant and setting up a new plant is quite costly.

This is the bloody joys of working in a factory.

They have factorys in Germany the size of killarney town. Over 30000 employees working there. Moving would not be a big problem as they have the structures already in place there.

Keeping killarney open is more to do with sentimintality because of the family ties.

The people on strike just have to look at the aeronautical place that closed during the week with the loss of over 400 jobs. When the multinational decides to pull out, its fast and painless for them . Not so much for the employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

If your on about Lufthansa Technic they closed on account of a gradual decline in Revenue not to mention competing with a number of firms that overhaul the engines of airliners.

Liebherr seems to be booming by all accounts, I doubt they would pull the plug over a industrial despute if business was poor I'd be saying something different. I could be wrong but let's hope I am not, while I don't work there, I know that feeling of inpending doom lurking around a plant between gossip and heresay only where I was closed and moved production to asia. It is not a nice feeling and it is sad for people working there whether it is a bluff or not.

They went on strike because of not getting a 2.5% pay rise since 2009, why did they wait till 2013 to resolve this matter?

They went on strike because of not getting a 2.5% pay rise since 2009, why did they wait till 2013 to resolve this matter?

Because a few union heads seen a new production shed being built and thought they could get a few quid off liebherr aswell!

Because a few union heads seen a new production shed being built and thought they could get a few quid off liebherr aswell!
    I heard they had recently expanded alright, how did they think they could get extra money though?

• Advertisement

I heard they had recently expanded alright, how did they think they could get extra money though?

Any other workers would see the new facilities being built, and breathe a sigh of relief that in the current recession the company they work for is doing well and there employment is safe.

But the unions see this , and think what's in it for us? How can we screw more money out of them for ourselves!

Any other workers would see the new facilities being built, and breathe a sigh of relief that in the current recession the company they work for is doing well and there employment is safe.

But the unions see this , and think what's in it for us? How can we screw more money out of them for ourselves!
    Should liebherr not have given the payrise as agreed in 2009 or did the union not push liebherr to give the rise knowing of the expansion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

From Examiner today

SIPTU vote due next Tuesday

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    From Examiner today

SIPTU vote due next Tuesday
    I imagine the vote will be majority one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

I imagine the vote will be majority one way.

Is that in favour of keeping the factory open?

Is that in favour of keeping the factory open?
    I don't know what the vote is for but i feel it will be for the unions best interests anyway.

Everyone can pack up there tools and go home.

I hope they have extra staff taken on in the social welfare office in Killarney.

Everyone can pack up there tools and go home.

I hope they have extra staff taken on in the social welfare office in Killarney.
    Is it looking grim now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

When the workers are looking out their windows at home with no hope of a job they will wonder what it was all about #dolequeue

Advertisement