Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4: PSN download speeds ridiculously slow

Options
  • 20-12-2013 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone else experiencing this problem? I've tried re-configuring my router, the DNS settings and placing it into the DMZ, but nothing seems to work. It's very strange. I'm using wi-fi (dual band N), but every other device in the room gets at least 20Mbps.

The connection test states that the download speed is 200Kbps-700Kbps, while upload is usually 2Mbps.

I'm not sure if this is an ISP issue (UPC) or a hardware issue (router or PS4). But something's gotta change.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm the same, with UPC too.
    However, I have a PC and my PS3 in the same room with no issue.

Going to have to invest in some power plugs and hope they work.

Getting quite a few network disconnects too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

the speed report that the ps4 gives is hideously inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I've mine wired to the router and the speeds are somewhat faster than wireless. Today I bought AC4 and it downloaded the whole file in about an hour and a half. Compared to a few weeks ago when I downloaded Lego Marvel wirelessly which took about 2 and a bit hours.

COYVB wrote: »
    the speed report that the ps4 gives is hideously inaccurate

I doubt it, I'm downloading the update to DC universe online with .5MB left and it's saying (4 hours left).

Speed test had it at 600 kbps earlier, seems fairly accurate to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

same story here driving me crazy....
    got my ps4 last night and the first system update of about 323mb took me 5 hours to download. My PS3 and xbox 360 are beside it and they download 2gig files in just over an hour. My internet connection is 9megs with eircom broadband using a Belkin router.

Ive tried to download the Trine2 demo from PSN and it's been going since 1pm today and it's still not even half way complete.... totally frustrated...
    ive done the speed test as well and it's saying im getting just over 200 kbs which seems very accurate for me too.

ive tried just about everything from changing different NAT types, port forwarding, even disabled the firewall at one point, different DNS and it's the same every time. sometimes the connection timesout/fails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Maybe its just PSN is just slow at the moment, record sales for a console so theres bound to be issues in that regard with so many people logging in for the first time?

First thing I did when I logged in was download Warframe, War Thunder, Resogun and Blacklight so if everybody is doing the same it has to be putting strain on the PS network servers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have a good few games downloaded and then patches and now a map pack, what I do see downloading is always fast (most done while in standby mode before I even know about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

im on like 7meg and im using powerline adapters took me like 6/7 hours to dl bf4 which i was happy with, not tried ps4 wifi but found ps3 was much better with the plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I got one last night and used the 14 day trial but couldn't go online with fifa or cod.... What's the story with that. Download the update grand though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think I fixed this problem:

my router was broadcasting wirless in a mixed mode of 802.11b&802.11g&802.11n.

I changed my router to only select 802.11g and wireless channel 11 and got my full speeds back on the ps4! fingers crossed this has solved the problem for good.

• Advertisement

Bought a pair of powerline network adaptors today and set it up.
    Did a speed test and get 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up, however I am now NAT type 3...:(

It even comes with a warning
    If NAT type is type 3, the network features might be restricted. For details, refer to the user's guide.

Does anyone know how to port forward on a Thomson router(UPC one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

F1ngers wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to port forward on a Thomson router(UPC one)?

Should have the info here http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/default.htm

ok spoke too soon problem still not fixed, what I am finding is that my upload speed is fine but my download speed is totally crippled and any game ive tried online is unplayable, I get booted from all the lobbys due to an unstable connection.

cadete wrote: »

Thanks.
    It shows what to do, however my ten spots for port forwarding are taken up already(what for, I don't know).

EDIT:
    Turns out those ten spots were enabled for an IP ending with 13, so not needed.
    Put in my numbers, reset the router and now NAT type 2.

EDIT 2:
    Thanks again, cadete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

F1ngers wrote: »
    I doubt it, I'm downloading the update to DC universe online with .5MB left and it's saying (4 hours left).

Speed test had it at 600 kbps earlier, seems fairly accurate to me.

I've a 50mb line and it tells me i've a download speed of about 1.2mbps - yet im downloading 3-4mb per second

COYVB wrote: »
    I've a 50mb line and it tells me i've a download speed of about 1.2mbps - yet im downloading 3-4mb per second

I've a 150Mb line.

Whatever was happening is sorted now(hopefully), it was low, in the kbps and I was getting a few disconnects.

I'm now getting 26Mbps down and 4Mbps up - time will tell about disconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 miss_k1

I am having difficulty with the PlayStation plus subscription it keeps saying the voucher is invalid. The subscription came from the uk would this make any difference - should I have set up the ps4 with uk as country of residence instead if Ireland
    any help appreciated

miss_k1 wrote: »
    I am having difficulty with the PlayStation plus subscription it keeps saying the voucher is invalid. The subscription came from the uk would this make any difference - should I have set up the ps4 with uk as country of residence instead if Ireland
    any help appreciated

Yes.

do you know how I change the country of residence then

do you know how I change the country of residence then

I don't know if you can.
    You may have to get onto Sony.

If this is your first account, re-do it and select UK as your country of residence.

• Advertisement

yes I have never had PlayStation before. I will try that thanks very much

hi f1ngers,

do I delete all users and create a new one or how do I do it

hi f1ngers,

do I delete all users and create a new one or how do I do it

You can do it either way.

However, your new account need an unused email address, as you can't link two profiles to one email address.

Thanks very much F1ngers that worked perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

The PSN is being hammer since the 24th....everyone is downloading stuff at the same time, so timeouts; errors and slow speeds are expected. Wait a few days and try again....or, put your PS4 into standby overnight or just keep it in standby all the time.

The stuff will eventually get pulled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fleeboing

i phoned upc and ps.. after all my laptop provided max speeds even on speedtest.net

I will say tho after being baffled by both i reset ps to default settings my internet test was brand new and that was on the wifi connection. I was used to ethernet connecting.. I would nearly swear its not just isp but the psn throttling us so try what i did and see how you get on..i'd be interested to kno how you get on cheers

Estimated about 80KBps yesterday when I was downloading a game, which is about 200 times slower than normal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Varik wrote: »
    Estimated about 80KBps yesterday when I was downloading a game, which is about 200 times slower than normal for me.

The online website is just as bad........ :mad:

The web store and console store work as normal but just the download speeds seem to be bad yesterday ( not downloaded anything today).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Well I seem to have found the cause of my slowdown. Other wireless devices turned on in close proximity seemed to be hogging all of the available bandwidth. Turning off my PC (which sits directly underneath) and putting my phone over to the other side of the room saw my download speeds go from ~60KB/s to over 2.5MB/s, much closer to my actual broadband speed.

Oddly enough, the other devices aren't downloading/uploading anything at the time, merely maintaining a connection seems to be enough to sap bandwidth from the PS4's wireless adapter.

Hope this helps someone else.

Advertisement