Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new biker

• 20-12-2013 2:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Hi all, im looking at getting onto the road for the first time, just need to know a few things
    1: i am 19 i have my learner permit over a year now, i had plans when i had hit 18 to get on the road but lack of cash forced me to wait until now
    2: my budget is 1600 without insurance
    3: i have all gear required bar a new helmet and boots
    4: im based in cavan

Q1: where can i get an ibt cheap? Ive looked everywhere and im getting around 550, is that cheap or overpriced?
    Q2: i have my eye on a 05 honda cbr125 its going for 800, insurance quote i got was for 1250 for a year, is this a decent price for the bike and would the quote be about right?
    Q3: should i get lessons before an ibt to ensure i pass or do i get lessons in the ibt centre?
    Q4: if i have left out any info please add i whatever you have to say:)

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Q1: where can i get an ibt cheap? Ive looked everywhere and im getting around 550, is that cheap or overpriced?
    Cheap isnt always best, get some local input on instruters in your area.
    i have my eye on a 05 honda cbr125 its going for 800, insurance quote i got was for 1250 for a year, is this a decent price for the bike and would the quote be about right?
    As long as its not trashed, stay away from street fighters.
    should i get lessons before an ibt to ensure i pass or do i get lessons in the ibt centre?
    Your ibt instructer will provide you with up to date professional advice on that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭matty1994

WikiHow wrote: »
    Cheap isnt always best, get some local input on instruters in your area.

As long as its not trashed, stay away from street fighters.

Your ibt unstructer will provide you with up to date professional advice on that matter.

Well when i say cheap, i mean a bit cheaper lol,

Its not trashed a little bodywork needed but i mean little, and tbh im not a fan of streetfighters, draws too much attention

Should i just get a bit of road experience, bear in mind i will be riding the bike from cavn to dublin which is the closest ibt centre,

Also when is the best time of year to do an ibt, weather wise?

matty1994 wrote: »
    Well when i say cheap, i mean a bit cheaper lol,

Its not trashed a little bodywork needed but i mean little, and tbh im not a fan of streetfighters, draws too much attention

Should i just get a bit of road experience, bear in mind i will be riding the bike from cavn to dublin which is the closest ibt centre,

Also when is the best time of year to do an ibt, weather wise?
    A little bodywork? walk away from it.
    Are you insured as in is your permit valid before you do your ibt?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

Q1 thats for 1 on 1 training, you could ask to do the course with another person and you could get it down to about 400-450,
    Q2 always depends on mileage, condition ect
    quotewise there are 4 places that do insurance so make sure to try em all for a quote
    aon, carole nash, liberty, adelaide,
    also some ibt courses will include a competency cert for aon or liberty for free, just make sure at time of booking, usually level 4 would get you 10 % discount, level 3 20-25 % discount, level 2 35%, level 1 45 %
    Q3 lessons are given during ibt anyways, so extra lessons seems like a waste of money,
    you can ride a bike on privately owned land without breaking law, eg. farm ect. try and get used to clutch, changing gears ect
    Q4 i added a few points above, if i was you id look at getting an A2 licence, otherwise if you are thinking of getting a bigger bike the following year you need to do ibt again just to get a different category, the progression course

A little bodywork? walk away from it.
    Are you insured as in is your permit valid before you do your ibt?

Im buying it from a dealer so, ive checked for crash damage, all it is is cosmetic as in scratches to the vinyls and decals, im not insured atm not until i get the bike, but my permit is valid until august 2014 and i hope to do the ibt early to mid feburary

• Advertisement

Im buying it from a dealer so, ive checked for crash damage, all it is is cosmetic as in scratches to the vinyls and decals, im not insured atm not until i get the bike, but my permit is valid until august 2014 and i hope to do the ibt early to mid feburary
    Have you examined the forks to see if they are straight? frame straight? rear subframe? have you done measurements on these? by eye is not good enough, sounds like a lemon to me.

Have you examined the forks to see if they are straight? frame straight? rear subframe? have you done measurements on these? by eye is not good enough, sounds like a lemon to me.

Ive given it a proper once over, ive had 2 nsr 80's which ive took as projects and completly rebuilt myself so im knowledgable there and the cbr is perfect mechanically and is a good and straight bike, i wouldnt go near it if it wasnt, im one of them overly cautious people when it comes to biking, check my brakes fluid etc once if not twice weekly

Ive given it a proper once over, ive had 2 nsr 80's which ive took as projects and completly rebuilt myself so im knowledgable there and the cbr is perfect mechanically and is a good and straight bike, i wouldnt go near it if it wasnt, im one of them overly cautious people when it comes to biking, check my brakes fluid etc once if not twice weekly
    Proceed with caution there, remember to check your tyres the condition of them and check pressure once a week too equally as important, along with the lighting system i.e tail lights, brake lights, indicators, main and dip beam.;)

Proceed with caution there, remember to check your tyres the condition of them and check pressure once a week too equally as important, along with the lighting system i.e tail lights, brake lights, indicators, main and dip beam.;)

Already done, tyres have plenty of thread and pressure is good, new bulbs all round, all gauges work, forks are leak free, only thing im waiting on is my loan to buy it haha, but at the same time i am on watch for other bikes to pop up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

William donohue does ibt training in cavan i,m surprised ya havent seen him about town.

• Advertisement

madchild wrote: »
    William donohue does ibt training in cavan i,m surprised ya havent seen him about town.

You wouldnt have a contact number for him, ive searched the net and been in the town many times and havent heard of him before

thats brilliant mate thanks, also how do i go about doing a rider assesment, liberty insurance offer different discounts for having this done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

thats brilliant mate thanks, also how do i go about doing a rider assesment, liberty insurance offer different discounts for having this done?

When ya do the ibt with him he will do a libert assesment for ya he also does aon but liberty is your best bet since you,re so young i went with them myself cheapest quote i could get.

well my quote for the cbr 125 without rider assesment is around 1250 and with the highest rider assement it drops to around 700 so a big saving, thanks for that info i will give him a call:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I know this is said alot but having 2 NSR 80's in the past will you not be bored outta your tree on a 125cc in 3 mths. I would be looking at a slightly bigger bike you can invest in and at least do your test on.

Would a 300cc scare the life out of you or are you talking mainly insurance purposes you are getting a 125cc. I would prefer a Varadero 125cc myself at least it looks like a bigger bike and handles like a bigger bike (compared to a CBR125) so it will get you ready for.....yep you guested it a bigger bike.

i have considered a bigger bike and getting it restricted, but i think the cbr 125 will do for the time being and if needs be ill sell it on and get a bigger one in the future but until i do the ibt and do my full test ill stick to the cbr as there easy to manouvre and cheap to run, and yes insurance is cheaper on a 125 rather than a restricted 250 or 400, but thanks for the input:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You would not have to restrict a 300cc bike would you under the new legislation?

i have the old permit so ive been told, im restricted to a 25kw bike, some 250's id get away with but anything over that then yes

cheaper in the long run to get a 250

• Advertisement

probably, but dont see any 250's in my budget

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/honda-cbr-250-mc22/4429590
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/cb-250/3229448
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/honda-cbr-250-mc-19/3467788
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/yamaha-fzr250-1996-clean/4323362
    i found loads and i wasnt even looking very hard, a few cbr, cb, yam fzr
    the yam actually looks the pick of the bunch, but the colour is horrible
    i reckon if u offer him 9, he would take it judging by the comments

Faz6r wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/honda-cbr-250-mc22/4429590
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/cb-250/3229448
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/honda-cbr-250-mc-19/3467788
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/yamaha-fzr250-1996-clean/4323362
    i found loads and i wasnt even looking very hard, a few cbr, cb, yam fzr
    the yam actually looks the pick of the bunch, but the colour is horrible
    i reckon if u offer him 9, he would take it judging by the comments

There too old mate, im looking for something newer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There too old mate, im looking for something newer

Not trying to be smart, but why? You've some experience with maintenance, and given bikes run forever when well maintained, age doesn't really come into it.

A 250 is a LOT more bike than a 125. But not a scary lot by any manner of means. You will bore quickly of the 125,

And if you have to do IBT now, and are on the old paper licence then you may as well trade in your current licence for the newer A2 and be able to ride up to 35kw.

Not trying to be smart, but why? You've some experience with maintenance, and given bikes run forever when well maintained, age doesn't really come into it.

A 250 is a LOT more bike than a 125. But not a scary lot by any manner of means. You will bore quickly of the 125,

And if you have to do IBT now, and are on the old paper licence then you may as well trade in your current licence for the newer A2 and be able to ride up to 35kw.

Tbh i dont know, just fancied a newer bike, ill look into swapping in my permit for the new one, are the cbr250 a good bike then? Seen as everyone is telling me to go bigger i may as well take the advice

Tbh i dont know, just fancied a newer bike, ill look into swapping in my permit for the new one, are the cbr250 a good bike then? Seen as everyone is telling me to go bigger i may as well take the advice

Honda engines do tend to be pretty bullet proof, but of the 4 linked, I'd go for the FZR. But that's based on the write up just being better than the other guys.

If you get the new licence, your possibilities expand 10 fold. I'd advise not limiting or thinking too hard about which bike until you've done IBT and can confidently handle a decent sized bike.

Honda engines do tend to be pretty bullet proof, but of the 4 linked, I'd go for the FZR. But that's based on the write up just being better than the other guys.

If you get the new licence, your possibilities expand 10 fold. I'd advise not limiting or thinking too hard about which bike until you've done IBT and can confidently handle a decent sized bike.

Ive got a quote with liberty on the fzr for 700 so im going to go for that, cheers for the tip off mate, wouldnt have known if i wasnt persuaded to try a different bike:)

Ive got a quote with liberty on the fzr for 700 so im going to go for that, cheers for the tip off mate, wouldnt have known if i wasnt persuaded to try a different bike:)

The best piece of advice I can give is don't actually settle on anything yet. There are a literal fcuk ton of options. It'd be a decent and quite fast 250, but don't set your heart on one particular bike or you'll get blinders. Which means you could end up like me and having bought a project bike thinking it was perfect.

The best piece of advice I can give is don't actually settle on anything yet. There are a literal fcuk ton of options. It'd be a decent and quite fast 250, but don't set your heart on one particular bike or you'll get blinders. Which means you could end up like me and having bought a project bike thinking it was perfect.

Well im not setting my heart on anything atm, but im going to go with a 250 wether its a cbr or fzr i will know once i have cash in my hand and a bike infront of me

• Advertisement
Advertisement