Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

patents?

Options
  • 20-12-2013 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,
    I have come up with a simple invention, and I would like to get it patented. I have looked at the Patent's website, but I found it somewhat unclear and daunting. Would anyone know roughly how much in total it would cost to Patent an invention?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

It depends on the invention, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

WikiHow wrote: »
    It depends on the invention, what is it?

Why would he/she say? It's unpatented:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Why would he/she say? It's unpatented:P
    We wont tell anyone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You must first establish if it is capable of being patented! You can do a bit of research online by using these links http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/patents_searching.aspx and by googling other online patent search tools.
    Once you are pretty sure that it has not been the subject of a patent, contact a few of the Irish Patent Agents listed on the Patent Office site and see who will offer you a free initial consultation. They will also be able to advise you on the costs involved, you can get short-term cover quite cheaply. After cost will depend on the technical complexity of the documentation etc that is needed, the number of territories you wish to get it protected in etc. they will explain all this to you with typical costings.

It is worth knowing that most patents are never commercially successful, even though they are innovative, novel and useful at some level, they may not offer a commercial market opportunity. The value of most patents comes from the profits generated by it's use or it's ability to prevent a competitor from bing able to compete in a particular market. The patent wars between Apple and Samsung are a good example of the latter.

You can also search of this forum for a good number of past threads on the topic. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Hello,
    I have come up with a simple invention, and I would like to get it patented. I have looked at the Patent's website, but I found it somewhat unclear and daunting. Would anyone know roughly how much in total it would cost to Patent an invention?

Everything Peter said is spot on. Just to add a little extra. It is possible to take out an initial patent for around 1000 euro. That will give you protection for 1 year to develop your invention or prototype it to a stage where you know if its worth spending more money (a lot more) on proper patents.

One more thing. A patent is only as good as the money you are prepared to spend defending it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah achill

Thank you, that was really helpful. I'm going to get onto the Patent office and I'll ask them about the process and cost of doing. Thank you very much, I really do appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Sarah, if you find out anything interesting or go ahead with your patent if might be very helpful to others to post back your experience on this tread sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 damke_1

Hello,

hello sarah, well i read the comments from the other members and i agree with them, first you would need to see if you can patent your invention and see if and how lucrative it would be to patent your invention (then again i don't know if you just want to have your own patent or to be able to make money out of it) however what caught my attention is the simple invention part, the more simple your invention is the easier it is to copy or at least to modify it and avoid patent infringement. you would have to make sure you get a very good patent attorney who would file for your patent, but lets not forget that you want to make money with your patent and you would need to find a market for your invention, who would manufacture your invention at what cost, or set a percentage for either how much you and the manufacturer will get and so on. just patenting it is not enough but it is a start. please do not get me wrong i am NOT trying to change your mind about it i simply want to try to offer some good advice. if i were you i would get it patented and either sell it or get a licence agreement with any potential manufacturer i was just reading something so you can also take a look http://www.munich-innovation.com/license-agreement/
    i hope i helped a bit :pac:

Advertisement