Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Cork (Marquee) & Dublin (Iveagh Gardens) Dates - July 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

bring on cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

The National's July 19th show at The Iveagh Gardens is now SOLD OUT

Tickets are still available for their July 18th show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Only a couple of months away now, Phosphorescent are supporting in Cork, Galway and Dublin(July 18th only)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Phosphorescent is brilliant, superb support to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

The National's July 19th show at The Iveagh Gardens is now SOLD OUT

Tickets are still available for their July 18th show.

Just bought a ticket for the 19th there on Ticketmaster. Maybe they have released a few more or maybe there was only one ticket left and I got it. (Billy no mates :()

Anyway, looking forward to them and Owen Pallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What did you guys think of tonight? Really enjoyed it, was hoping for About Today to be played but not really surprised and I had expected them to play to Conversation 16, but apart from that I thought it was a great gig. When Matt came out onto the crowd during the encore was brilliant, he must be an absolute nightmare to play with at times though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

siblers wrote: »
    What did you guys think of tonight?

I loved it ,fantastic gig .
    Wouldnt be familiar with alot of their newer stuff but I liked Boxer and Alligator .
    Crowd were well up for it and the band were great.Real showmen.
    2 hours flew by ,must say Matt does like a drink .

Really liked Phosphorescent too ,great tunes ,crowd really liked them.

Oh yeah forgot to add ,whoever the 7 foot tall guy in the front row was ,I hope you realise that you didnt need to be in the front row,if you are 7 feet you will have a good view anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rock Strongo

Hi guys, can anyone give me any info about the iveagh gardens gigs? Is it fully outdoor or in a tent? Is it a festival vibe or like a normal gig? I've been to the comedy festival there

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

If it's anything like Beach House last year then it'll be outdoors.

Bar to the back of the site, merch/grub to the left, toilets on the right, stage front. As it's a sell out, I'd imagine it'll be a more difficult to get to the bar and toilets than last year (was incredibly easy then).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

siblers wrote: »
    What did you guys think of tonight? Really enjoyed it, was hoping for About Today to be played but not really surprised and I had expected them to play to Conversation 16, but apart from that I thought it was a great gig. When Matt came out onto the crowd during the encore was brilliant, he must be an absolute nightmare to play with at times though!

Im not really a fan of them, dont dislike them in the slightest either. It was grand, no bad songs but got a bit same-y after a while, then picked up again. Still really enjoyable though. Singer is hilarious. I would return to see em alright.

Only caught end of phosphorescent, they were damn good. Id see them again in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Posted this in the Cork forum...

Awesome gig! Matt is a legend going through the crowds like that :D They really got the crowd going for the big ones. Best bits for me though were the slower songs (Ada, Slow Show, Exile, Hard to Find, Vanderlyle, Demons). The Geese of Beverly Road was the stand out song on the night for me. Matt voice is incredible and they are mesmerising to see live. The light show was impressive too.

The only blip on the night was Pink Rabbits, don't know what happened but Matt's voice was all over the place for it, it actually sounded bad. That song was the highlight last year, this year... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Zardoz wrote: »
    Wouldnt be familiar with alot of their newer stuff but I liked Boxer and Alligator .

I highly recommend you check it out. I love Boxer and Alligator but I just get lost listening to High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me. Such beautiful albums. Trying to pick a favourite from those 4 is what I imagine trying to pick a favourite child is like for a parent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Did Matt injure himself at the gig last night?
    Saw a photo on FB page of a big bloodied cut on his leg.
    Really enjoyed them, was so happy they sang Geese of Beverly Road, all that was missing was 'Secret Meeting'.
    Anyone think that Matts voice can be a little muffled at times, maybe its the way he uses the mic?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

They were amazing in Cork last night. Exile Vilify was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Posted this in the Cork forum...
    brevity wrote: »
    Ya was a great show, they seemed to have a bit more energy last year though.

I was sitting in the C stand and Matt wandered over. Got to help him up the steps and carry the microphone cable for him He just stood at the top of the steps, dropped the mic and headed back to the stage! Seemed well out of it.

"....Seemed well out of it."
    Thought so too..
    Hope he's a bit more coherent for the Iveagh Gardens on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Framed10 wrote: »
    "....Seemed well out of it."
    Thought so too..
    Hope he's a bit more coherent for the Iveagh Gardens on Saturday

Not in the sense that he was completely out of it...more a case of him being in the zone.

In the Mistaken for Strangers documentary, there is a small piece about how he goes to a different place when he's performing.

brevity wrote: »
    Not in the sense that he was completely out of it...more a case of him being in the zone.
    Thanks, thats a better way to put it.

There will be designer socks. Cork, Ireland

10478132_10152141179601010_2316210368870532248_n.jpg

Blood Buzz Matt!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Excited...much! Galway tomorrow night 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Framed10 wrote: »
    There will be designer socks. Cork, Ireland

10478132_10152141179601010_2316210368870532248_n.jpg

Blood Buzz Matt!

Serves him right ,what's he thinking wearing Tipperary socks in Cork.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Going to see them 2mrw in Galway. Looking forward to it. Anyone got a link for last night's set list?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2014/live-at-the-marquee-cork-ireland-1bc13d8c.html

Looks close to spot on.

Fantastic show - really wanted to get Conversation 16, Brainy and Mistaken for Strangers but alas. Graceless and Terrible Love the highlights for me!

Zardoz wrote: »
    Serves him right ,what's he thinking wearing Tipperary socks in Cork.:P
    I very much appreciated his Tipperary socks effort, the mans got style ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Cannot wait for the Saturday Iveagh gardens gig:D
    Cork setlist looks good, but really hoping they throw in Abel & All the Wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Cannot wait for the Saturday Iveagh gardens gig:D
    Cork setlist looks good, but really hoping they throw in Abel & All the Wine.

They played All the Wine in Cork last year but not 02 so hoping they do it in Iveagh.

Saw they put up a picture of Guinness factory saying 'And all the Guinness is all for me' so maybe a sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I'm actually considering going both nights in the Iveigh Gardens. Never done that for any band before.

I saw them at Primavera in May and they were brilliant, highlight of the festival for me. looking forward to a more intimate venue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just in case anyone is wondering-What does "Vanderlyle" refer to in "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" by The National? (taken from here

That’s something that’s really struck me about the record – I know in the past, there have been a lot of literary references on your records, and it seemed as though titles like ‘Lemonworld’, ‘Bloodbuzz Ohio’ and ‘Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks’ could be references to something else, when in fact they’re just representative of a style that’s become very idiosyncratic to your band.

MB: Inventing, yeah. Like ‘Squalor Victoria’ – there’s something in that word that sounds like something because every time you actually try to use real words to describe it, it doesn’t sound like the thing you’re talking about anyway. This character, Vanderlyle Crybaby – I can’t tell you how long it took me to come up with the word “Vanderlyle”. There’s the Nirvana song, ‘Pennyroyal Tea’ – just the word “pennyroyal” I loved, it sounded so great and it’s just the name of a tea. I couldn’t use that – maybe I should have, that would have saved some time – and so I started looking at the rhythm of the word, and the cadence. I probably have a book of a hundred different three syllable things.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

is the reference to 'guns and noses' in the song 'humiliation' the same sort of thing then? just arbitrary lyrics to fit the sound?

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to seeing them tonight. It'll be my first time as life conspired against me in the past when they played so I'm really hoping that a tent on the outskirts of Galway will suit them.

Advertisement