Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Cork (Marquee) & Dublin (Iveagh Gardens) Dates - July 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Strumms wrote: »
    They were so so ****ing good last night, nice setlist. Love the venue it's like seeing your favourite band in somones big back garden. I'm away to London today but would dearly love to have gone again tonight grrrrr.

What beers are available in the venue? I'm heading to see them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

bennyob wrote: »
    What beers are available in the venue? I'm heading to see them tonight.

Carlsberg & Guinness & Smithwicks Pale Ale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

and Stella Cidre, Smirnoff Mojito, Cpt & Coke.

All drinks are a fiver, which is amazing value, and the bar is well run and the queue moves very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Great concert. Pity about the selfie portion of crowd who seemed to have no interest in the band but thats all part of gigs these days.

Brilliant live band

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Nice, smithwicks pale ale it is.

• Advertisement

The gig in iveagh gardens was brilliant last night.
    This was my first time seeing them and it was such a great place!
    Small and lovely.

Just one hint, if you are on the short side, you may find it hard to see, its very flat and the stage doesn't seem that high.

Would love to go again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Owen Pallett is supporting tonight.

Originally I thought this made Saturday the better night to go but he supported Arcade Fire in June and I wasn't impressed. Not a fan of his newer stuff at all.

But hopefully people enjoy him tonight, I still like him, just underwhelmed last time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

What time did they finish up last night? Need to know roughly for the bus times.

What time did they finish up last night? Need to know roughly for the bus times.

10.30pm

bubblypop wrote: »
    10.30pm

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Just wondering after last night, should wellies be brought for today?

No. Reasonably well covered ground with plastic sheets.
    Unless it lashes for afternoon now...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Phosphorescent, I think. Cannot wait for tonight; have been hearing great things about all the gigs to-date.

Phosphorescent were great as always, but the crowd seemed to have little interest. strange considering they supported the national at the olympia a few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Awwhhh what a night :D Amazing! The National were unbelievable as always! Would go again tonight if I could! Great setlist, personally would have liked Sorrow and Brainy, but feck it, still great :) Matt running through the crowd at the end was f*cking awesome :D I gave him a slight hug, delighted with myself :P!

The venue was class too. Nice, small and intimate. Selection of drink was a nice suprise too - Carlsberg, wine, Smithwicks, gin and tonic cans, Kronenbourg (which was lovely :D!).

Just home from the gig. Thought it was amazing. Loved it. Also the Iveagh Gardens is a great location for a gig that size. Really easy to get right up the front.

Saw the sign that some people brought in saying this was the 3rd time seeing the National this week. If they were playing again tomorrow, I'd go in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I could have stayed there all night. Loved every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Great gig. The Iveagh Gardens is such a lovely venue for gigs like this. You'd forget you're in the city centre and then when you leave you're like "ah nice one, I'm in the city centre" :)

Bought one of the black tshirts on sale. It's really nice but ever so slightly too small (medium). Don't suppose anyone got a large and it's too big for them for a swap??

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

Great night. Superb band as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Just saw that second night setlist so jealous of everyone who went!

Saw them the Friday and they were incredible which I could have gone to both nights though

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Saturday night's setlist surpassed all my expectations - and they were quite high when I realised that Owen Pallett was the support and was hoping for some old stuff that requires a violin. I saw him support them a few years ago at the Crosslinx festival and he played a few songs with them also. And did we get them: 90 Mile Water Wall and About Today. Starting with Start a War was also a nice surprise.
    Definitely one of the best National gigs I've been to. And last night was the rather scary 21st time to see them.
    Friday night and last week in Hyde Park were much more "standard" in comparison to last night.
    The combo of the 2 nights with Santa Clara, Geese of Beverly Road and Lit Up on Friday was fabulous.

Heading off to Owen Pallett now in Whelans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Absolutely loved it, brilliant live performance and a great set list. Absolutely loved how they finished the set, you'd have to be dead inside not to have goosebumps during the rendition of Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks, hugely enjoyable night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Saturday was amazing, the set list was almost perfect. Going booking tickets to see them in London in November on the back of it. There isn't enough superlatives to explain how good they are live, Matt leaves his soul out there on the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Another underwhelming performance from The National. It's Berninger, really - his voice just doesn't lend itself to singing most of his songs live.

I enjoyed the encore. Telling that the audience sang as much as he did for that part.

EDIT: I went the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Squelchy wrote: »
    Another underwhelming performance from The National. It's Berninger, really - his voice just doesn't lend itself to singing most of his songs live.

I enjoyed the encore. Telling that the audience sang as much as he did for that part.

Telling in what way? In Cork, I don't think he sang a word as the crowd did all the singing, well he didn't sing into the mic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've never been at a bad National gig myself

siblers wrote: »
    Telling in what way? In Cork, I don't think he sang a word as the crowd did all the singing, well he didn't sing into the mic anyway.

It's telling that the highlight of the night was the part which required him to sing the least. He can't sing live worth a sh*t.

deisedude wrote: »
    I've never been at a bad National gig myself

I never really see anyone here be anything other than effusive in praise of each gig they attend, I don't get it. Few gigs are perfect but if you were to believe everything you read here they *all* are as long as you're a true fan. I don't know whether that's bias, low standards, being drunk at the gigs or just that sad human desire to one-up each other but whatever it is, I'm not convinced people love every concert as much as they say they do. And I don't just mean The National.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I never really see anyone here be anything other than effusive in praise of each gig they attend, I don't get it. Few gigs are perfect but if you were to believe everything you read here they *all* are as long as you're a true fan. I don't know whether that's bias, low standards, being drunk at the gigs or just that sad human desire to one-up each other but whatever it is, I'm not convinced people love every concert as much as they say they do. And I don't just mean The National.

i was a little underwhelmed too i have to say, maybe standing at the back wasnt the best place to be but i saw them in the 02 and felt it was a much better gig.
    I still enjoyed the concert though...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I was at the gig in Cork and I thought it was exceptional. Was his voice perfect at all times? No. Was that a bad thing? No, not for me anyway as it showed the level of emotion and effort he was putting into things. It's a gig if I wanted pitch perfect performance I'd have stayed at home.

I only ended up going because a friend wanted to and I'd never really listened to their stuff before but I was well and truly converted by the gig. I'd listened to "Trouble Will Find Me" a few times before the gig and I quite liked it. In the last week I've been working my way back through "High Violet" and Boxer". I have no bias towards the National only the evidence I got when I went to the gig which I absolutely loved. I only wish I knew the lyrics to Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks before the gig with no mic and just the audience. I was at the Arctic Monkeys in Marlay on the Saturday and enjoyed it but wasn't a patch on the National.

Maybe it was a different gig in Cork but that's my take on things :)

Was his voice perfect at all times? No. Was that a bad thing? No, not for me anyway as it showed the level of emotion and effort he was putting into things. It's a gig if I wanted pitch perfect performance I'd have stayed at home.

I don't understand that, really. What "effort" is there to appreciate if he can't sing the song properly?
    A decent vocal performance should be a given. A few misfires is acceptable, but with him it's whole songs he can't sing on-stage.

Maybe I just expect more. And I think I should, given the cost of these things.

Glad you enjoyed it, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I don't understand that, really. What "effort" is there to appreciate if he can't sing the song properly?
    A decent vocal performance should be a given. A few misfires is acceptable, but with him it's whole songs he can't sing on-stage.

Maybe I just expect more. And I think I should, given the cost of these things.

Glad you enjoyed it, anyway.

Why do you keep going to their gigs if its was as you stated yet another underwhelming National gig?

I thought his voice was very good.

Advertisement