Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Cork (Marquee) & Dublin (Iveagh Gardens) Dates - July 2014

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I am definitely in the hardcore fan category.
    I generally am very near the front, and know 99% of the words of their songs.

However, I have been to gigs by the National that are extraordinary, and some that have been just OK and some that were a bit rubbish.

I think most fans of any bands know there are gigs that great and rubbish and all in between.

I think a lot of people get so effusive about the National as they are a very different band live than on their records. They've some relatively complex songs from keys to time signatures and to translate that live is not easy, and the vast majority of the time they succeed.

I thought Saturday was much better than Friday in terms of the band being a bit more relaxed. And Saturday's set with a few older songs was ideal for me; and made it stick out of the National concerts I've been to in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

fiddlechic wrote: »

I think a lot of people get so effusive about the National as they are a very different band live than on their records.

Like I said though; not just referring to The National. Seems like every gig posters here attend is FLAWLESS. Can't be the case and I don't understand why people aren't more honest or demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Squelchy wrote: »
    Like I said though; not just referring to The National. Seems like every gig posters here attend is FLAWLESS. Can't be the case and I don't understand why people aren't more honest or demanding.

Fair enough!

I can't remember when I read it, but Jim Carroll (I think!) once said that Irish people tend to see a band live first based on a few songs or word-of-mouth from friends, before buying, listening or even knowing a band's album.

If this is true for some people, I guess they view gigs as more of "an event", an evening out, an excuse for a few beers with friends or what have you; rather than for a specific purpose, which is to hear live music.
    If you're hearing an artist for the first time or if the trappings of live music are more important to you than the live music, it becomes very easy to find all gigs brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It also can't be the case that everyone has the same opinion about a particular gig. Some people will really enjoy it, some will lament the fact the lead singer didnt say 'hi' to them or whatever etc etc.

I assumed that people having different opinions of concerts was down to the fact that they were subjective. But it seems that some people are of the opinion that theirs is superior to others and if they dislike something then everyone should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Cannot wait for the Saturday Iveagh gardens gig:D
    Cork setlist looks good, but really hoping they throw in Abel & All the Wine.

They played it:)

Well I really enjoyed the Saturday Iveagh Gardens gig. Was like an over-excited child when Matt came into the crowd during Terrible Love:o

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

it seems that some people are of the opinion that theirs is superior to others and if they dislike something then everyone should.

You could at least have the spine to say you're referring to me. :rolleyes:

And, well, I never said everyone should agree with me, I said I'm pretty shocked that NO ONE does.

You could at least have the spine to say you're referring to me. :rolleyes:

And, well, I never said everyone should agree with me, I said I'm pretty shocked that NO ONE does.

I didn't directly reply to you as it was more of a generalization. Just because no one seems to agree with you does not mean that you are right and they are wrong. There are plenty of people who don't enjoy a gig and are quite vocal about it. The National this tour have been fantastic and most people agree, not just in Ireland but around the world so it's not that unexpected that others don't share your sentiments.

Advertisement