Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog problem

• 20-12-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

hi i have a 3yr old jack Russell when he needs to go out to do his business he walks to the door to let us know & of he goes i let him out before we go to bed,i don't give him food or water late,but when we get up we are greeted with his business on the kitchen floor!what can i do to stop him from doing this, need help !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

kline64 wrote: »
    hi i have a 3yr old jack Russell when he needs to go out to do his business he walks to the door to let us know & of he goes i let him out before we go to bed,i don't give him food or water late,but when we get up we are greeted with his business on the kitchen floor!what can i do to stop him from doing this, need help !

fisrtly you should NEVER remove a dogs water... ever and it should always be fresh etc.

the fact that he is house trainied suggests something is wrong with him lately...

it could be many things:

1. Medical issue - I would bring him to the vet to rule out - could be kidney infection etc

2 - what time are you feeding him at night? do you feed him once per day or twice?

3 - where does he sleep, as in is he cold etc? the last few days has been a bit chilly this can effect a dog too - does he have enough blankets?

4 - what time do you let him out before bed? ie 10PM? what time do you get up? say 7am....

Does he just wee or it is both each morning?

if its persistent ie more than a few days IMO a trip to the vet to rule out a medical issue wouldnt go a stray.

sorry just read your post again... I cant work out is this a new development or has this always been the case?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Hi i feed him twice a day in the morning & around 5ish,his bed is beside the radiator in the kitchen & has blankets aswell,hes let out around 12 or 1 at night & my husband is up about 6.30 - 7 in the morning,he does both on the floor he did stop doing it only once or twice but didn't last long i have tried with rewards & stuff for being good but don't know what to do now ,other half sick of cleaning it up before he heads to work !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

As the other poster pointed out it maybe a medical condition. I would suggest a visit to the vets just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

kline64 wrote: »
    Hi i feed him twice a day in the morning & around 5ish,his bed is beside the radiator in the kitchen & has blankets aswell,hes let out around 12 or 1 at night & my husband is up about 6.30 - 7 in the morning,he does both on the floor he did stop doing it only once or twice but didn't last long i have tried with rewards & stuff for being good but don't know what to do now ,other half sick of cleaning it up before he heads to work !

So i get the impression he has always been doing this with the exception of one or two nights?

God i dont blame you at all... I wouldnt be happy coming down the that every monring all the time.

Ok firstly a quick trip to the vet to rule out a medical reason.

I suspect he hasnt "really" or properly been house trained properly.

To be honest with you givng him treats when you come down in the morning isnt helping him as he doesnt know why he is being rewarded, he makes no connection between a clean kitchen and a treat.

Have you considered crate training? personally i have never tried it but it seems to help alot of posters on here with such issues...

If its not a medical issue then he is doing this out of habit, he's in a routine and he thinks that its ok to do this each night as he's being doing it so long.

Ask for some advice on crate training here on boards I think it will help you alot in this situation!

Best of luck... sorry i cant help with crate training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Okay, lots of questions...

Has he been like this as long as you've had him?
    What was your method of house training?
    Did you give out to him for pooping/peeing in the house?
    Does he freely poop/pee on walks with you?

Is it the same area he goes all the time?
    Have you tried feeding him in the area where he poops/pees in your house? Or moving the bed closer to that area?

If he sleeps down in the kitchen regularly I would highly recommend crate training him. He should wait to poop/pee in the morning then as a dog does not like to do his/her business in an area of sleeping/eating.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

You should go out with him at night to make sure he is going to the toilet. Sometimes one of my dogs gets distracted and doesn't toilet so i go out with him on lead to make sure he goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Make sure to watch that he has actually gone to the loo as he mustn't be doing it outside. It means standing outside and watching and bringing him out again if he hasn't. But after a week or so he should get into the habit. Came across these hilarious bad dog pics. He could be doing a lot worse :eek:

http://distractify.com/fun/fails/dogs-who-are-shamelessly-proud-of-what-they-just-did/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Hi thanks for the all the advice i will try get him a crate & see how that goes ,hes not always in the house he has a warm kennel out the back with bed & blankets & doesn't seem bothered being out there ,i just feel sorry for him out there. Other half grew up with dogs & they stayed in a kennel out back he thinks im to soft :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 sport_nut

nala2012 wrote: »
    You should go out with him at night to make sure he is going to the toilet. Sometimes one of my dogs gets distracted and doesn't toilet so i go out with him on lead to make sure he goes!

I do that with my dog but as the weather is rotten , he just runs back in

Advertisement