Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till Issues

Options
  • 20-12-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a question

My friend just rang me asking what grounds do a job have to make an employee pay back shortfalls in a count on a till?

My friend and another employee in a shop counted the till and it was exact. The manager then counted and it was 165 euro short.

The manager has said its being taken out of their wages, can she do this?

Shesin a bit of a state now thinking the shop is accusing her of stealing

Thanks
    Ghogie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They do have a legal basis for it, however I'd certainly be questioning what happened between when the till was first counted and when the manager counted and who had access to the till in the meantime.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_slip.html
    Where your employer suffers loss through your fault, for example breakages or till shortages or your employer supplies a service as part of the job, for example, a uniform, deductions may be allowed. In these cases a deduction (or payment by the employee) is only allowed where:

•It is allowed for in your contract
    •It is fair and reasonable
    •You have received a written notice of the deduction - a full week's notice if the deduction arises from your mistake
    •The amount of the deduction does not exceed the loss or cost of the service
    •The deduction takes place within 6 months of the loss/cost occurring

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BBOC

Did your friend not need a supervisor to sign off on the total when they were given the read from the till at the first count?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Depends if others were using the till, they cant hold one employee responsible if others have used it I would imagine.

Advertisement