Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greedy elements of society ruining the spirit of the GAA

• 20-12-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=206685
    Three supporters have taken out personal injury claims against Limerick GAA after the Munster final pitch invasion.

The claimants are understood to have suffered "falls or slips" as around 30,000 Limerick supporters spilled onto the Gaelic Grounds pitch on Sunday, July 14th to celebrate the Treaty County's first Munster SHC win in 17 years.

The pitch invasion was one of the iconic scenes of the 2013 GAA year but the Association at national level is now certain to make moves to stamp out such incidents following the revelation that Limerick are being sued.

County Board secretary Mike O'Riordan told The Irish Examiner: "The pitch invasion at the Gaelic Grounds after the Munster senior hurling final has produced a number of claims against the stadium - obviously this is very disappointing after what was a memorable day.

"To see the scenes after the game was fantastic in particular the crowd swarming on to the pitch. It really epitomised all that is good about the GAA.

"What will happen now is that for big games in the Gaelic Grounds, the front row of seats will have to be occupied by stewards and there will have to be more stewarding.

"The cost of insurance is already substantial and this will only force up the cost to us."

I was completely against the barriers in front of Hill 16 but I can see where the GAA are coming from. Our games could do without these kinds of people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Just read it myself, it's disgraceful. They slipped or fell, nothing but their own inability to walk caused this. It is their problem and they shouldn't have been on the pitch in the first place. They shouldn't be able to sue for this, that is the problem.

You can understand the GAA wanting to protect themselves from these sort of claims but I maintain the problem is the people who'll sue, not the invasion itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Agreed it's the people, but it's also the laws in this country that allow them to sue, and the vast amounts of money that they can get out of it.

A lot of other countries would simply say that it's your own fault foir going on the pitch, you took the risk, so pay for it, and along with this the payouts are much smaller.

These cases here lead to much higher premiums, costs are simply passed on to ordinary people in every aspect of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

and people still cant understand why the GAA are trying to ban pitch invasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Disgusting to be honest. I experienced something similar at our club open day. A member from a nearby club who don't have a Family Day attended and 1 yr after the event put a claim in on behalf of his daughter who was 3 at the time saying she suffered a blow from a hurley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

and people still cant understand why the GAA are trying to ban pitch invasions.

I think the problem most people have is that HQ claim that it is in the interest of "safety and wellbeing of patrons" when in reality there are no real health and safety risks. If they came out and admitted that it is because of insurance and they are trying to avoid lawsuits which would be costly to the association then people might be more understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

How could someone win in a case like that? It's ridiculous!

A few people ran onto the pitch straight at full-time, mostly younger children... the rest of the crowd came on at a fast walk, I don't think there was any chance of people being injured... no more than in the ordinary course of life in a busy city or something.

What kind of injuries are they talking about? It's the mentality I don't understand..... That day, pitch invasion and all, is one of the best days of my life. And if it gets stamped out that would be a huge loss to the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm all for the restrictions on pitch invasions.
    But I just wonder if these sort of cases would have been taken 5 or 6 years ago when invasions were common place.

Is there now a mentality of " well I got hurt on the field, someone should have been there to prevent me being on the field, therefore it's their fault and I'll sue"

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Ruining the spirit of the GAA? They are ruining much more than that, leeches such as these 3 good for nothings are what is destroying society. People who want nothing more than a handy few bob without doing anything for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Oakboy wrote: »
    Ruining the spirit of the GAA? They are ruining much more than that, leeches such as these 3 good for nothings are what is destroying society. People who want nothing more than a handy few bob without doing anything for it.

Absolutely, the law is the most crooked institution in this country, FFS its at the stage where kids cant run in school because of our rotten courts and judges. They've ruined the country, and then we see articles in the paper telling us kids are fat, well quelle fcuking surprise. If you don't want to get injured don't go on the pitch and let the rest of us enjoy ourselves you miserable wa*kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

could the gaa not say they were trespassing??

Can imagine that the GAA bringing 30k people to court for trespassing.

Surely they should have some t&c s on the back of the ticket issuing responsibility to the individual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

members of the association cannot sue the GAA

it'd be like suing yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I'd say these people are no more members of the GAA than they are members of the north Korean weightlifting team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Yes they can. Why wouldn't they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know the details of the cases involved, but people could have a very valid case for a case, if they were pushed or tripped and broke something and they definitely weren't at fault but were out of pocket for work or something else, they surely they'd have to take a case? Also, if they were treated on site, then they would have had to have a case, medical treatment can be very expensive in Ireland.

Personally I like the tradition of going out on the pitch and lifting the players on the shoulders, but this was very very dangerous and more and more people were getting hurt, having a blanket ban in place is the most logical step imvho

Advertisement