Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Computer, Data Transfer, Skydrive...

Options
  • 20-12-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Have a query that maybe someone can advise on. I've been using a desktop computer since 2008 that runs Windows Vista. I have a Skydrive directory on the computer where I store all my photos and important documents which is obviously synced up online (approx 50GB) and then music/videos are elsewhere on the computer.

Have just taken delivery of a new Windows 8 laptop which is going to become my main computer in the house.

What in anyone's experience is the best way to move the Skydrive-backed-up data? If I log into my current skydrive account on the new computer will it automatically start syncing? Granted I have unlimited broadband, but it seems like a fairly inefficient way to copy things across. On the other hand I'm afraid if I copy the skydrive data manually to the new computer and log into my Skydrive account from there then maybe it'll recognise the two separate sets of idential files as different ones and start backing up from the new computer.

Have looked a reasonable amount online and haven't been able to answer the question!

Would appreciate any advice thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why the hell did you use a white font man? Its like you dont want an answer...

Skydrive has no LAN sync. If it were dropbox it'd transfer it locally by itself, a lot faster than over your internet connection. Copying them all over should work, but it'll update the meta data(date created, modified) on each file so will need some re-indexing and uploading. I'd just let the new PC download em over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Nice one thanks! I have this weird thing in work where we're on XP and IE8. The text box if you start a thread or reply to another for some reason shows as a white background! (I have my skin on boards set as the black/yellow one). The only way around is to set font to black while typing and then swap it back to normal colour after. I just keep guessing the wrong one for "normal" colour!!!

Advertisement