Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network ?

Options
  • 20-12-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is correct forum , so mods pls move if not .Is it possible to connect two smart tv's with my desktop and stream content to them from the pc . Using windows 7 and connect to internet via Vodafone dongle ,which is hooked up to router and then connected via cat 5 to the tv's , cheers in advance .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

madred006 wrote: »
    ..and connect to internet via Vodafone dongle

Streaming content you already have on your PC to the TV's - yes.

Streaming video content from the internet via a Vodafone dongle - I doubt the vodafone dongle has enough bandwidth for that.

Those 3G dongles are terrible, and barely good enough for basic web browsing, never mind streaming video from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Streaming content you already have on your PC to the TV's - yes.

Streaming video content from the internet via a Vodafone dongle - I doubt the vodafone dongle has enough bandwidth for that.

Those 3G dongles are terrible, and barely good enough for basic web browsing, never mind streaming video from the internet.

Agree dongles are crap only have 3 months left on contract . Is it difficult to set up network are there any good guides available cheers .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you have a router already? If so then all you need to do is wire the PC and TVs to the router. Then connect the dongle to the PC, go into network connections, and bridge your 3G BB connection to your LAN connection. This will allow the LAN to use the 3G. It may work straight away from then, or you may need to set up a static route in the router, thats a little more complex.

Even without bridging the 3G, you can still stream locally with everything else. Windows Media Player can be set up as a media(DNLA) server to share to the TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

ED E wrote: »
    Do you have a router already? If so then all you need to do is wire the PC and TVs to the router. Then connect the dongle to the PC, go into network connections, and bridge your 3G BB connection to your LAN connection. This will allow the LAN to use the 3G. It may work straight away from then, or you may need to set up a static route in the router, thats a little more complex.

Even without bridging the 3G, you can still stream locally with everything else. Windows Media Player can be set up as a media(DNLA) server to share to the TVs.

Cheers yes I have a Vodafone router 556a .So I am better to put the dongle directly in to the pc , presently have it in the router , and connected via Ethernet which I think might be causing a clash somewhere along the way , thanks for your help .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh, no need so. That router will do all the work for you. Just cable everything and set up media sharing in WMP. Done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement