Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a memory stick

Options
  • 20-12-2013 1:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just looking for a good fast memory stick. I need to get alot of memery onto it as fast as I can. What should I be looking for?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Fast typically means USB 3.0
    Does your PC/laptop support USB 3.0 ?
    You can buy a USB 3 PCI board to upgrade a desktop machine.

I'd consider something like this 64Gb USB 3 drive for €37.21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Thanks but I need to get a load of stuff off my wifes computer to stick onto my work computer. Cant really be messing with memory boards. Kinda looking for a fast memory stick that will download the stuff fast

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

why dont you just connect both systems to the same network and trandfere it via the lan Network

Thanks but cant do that either. Just looking for a good fast memory stick .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How much data? Are DVD-R an option ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

how about telling us how much data you want to transfer?
    and your PC model/specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

why dont you just connect both systems to the same network and trandfere it via the lan Network

Why not? Download, winscp/

Thanks guys its about 9gigs I need.
    Its an old dell pc I want to take it from. Just need a good memory stick

Thanks guys its about 9gigs I need.
    Its an old dell pc I want to take it from. Just need a good memory stick

you say you don't want to install a new card so USB 3.0 is out of the question.

Here's s good one (16gb):

http://www.memoryc.com/usbproducts/usbflashdrives/16gbsandisjcruzerbladeusbflashdrive.html

it has a transfer speed of 480 Mbits/sec, it will take about 25 minutes or so to transfer 9Gb, that's if your PC supports USB 2.0, USB 2 are backward compatible so it will work with USB 1.1, but the duration will increase in that case.

Argos has them for €10.99:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1168824/Trail/searchtext%3EMEMORY+STICK.htm

If your looking for super fast speeds, then USB 3.0 card will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

If its multiple small files i.e. 'MyDocuments' , then your speed is mostly limited by the operating system.
    It may be faster to create a single zip file before transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

johndoe99 wrote: »
    you say you don't want to install a new card so USB 3.0 is out of the question.

Here's s good one (16gb):

http://www.memoryc.com/usbproducts/usbflashdrives/16gbsandisjcruzerbladeusbflashdrive.html

it has a transfer speed of 480 Mbits/sec, it will take about 25 minutes or so to transfer 9Gb, that's if your PC supports USB 2.0, USB 2 are backward compatible so it will work with USB 1.1, but the duration will increase in that case.
    It reads at about 15.69mbps and writes at about 4.65mbps. Be very careful how sites word their products "transfer speed" as opposed to their products "write speed". Have been caught out before.

I got a 64GB Sandisk Extreme recently, and it copies from my computer (USB2 port) to the USB key at 27MB/sec to 28MB/sec. Have a look here at a graph of the speeds of different USB2 and USB3 sticks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Just looking for a good fast memory stick .
    You just need a 16GB USB stick. On an old PC the bottleneck is likely to be the PC's USB circuitry or even the files you want to transfer (lots of small files have a greater overhead than a small number of very big files).

EDIT: as already pointed out

• Registered Users Posts: 4 milky00

What do you think of Toshiba?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Always loved Toshiba memory sticks.
    Not the fastest in the world, but almost always better than expected, and reliable too.

was out in HarveyNorman today, i picked myself up a Cruzer Blade 32Gb , for €17.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

johndoe99 wrote: »
    was out in HarveyNorman today, i picked myself up a Cruzer Blade 32Gb , for €17.

That's a good price for 32Gb, but I think it's that cheap due to the poor write speed.

I have a Cruzer Blade 8Gb and while it's fine for me (I just use it occasionally to play films/TV shows via my Saorview box) the write speed is very slow (2-3 MB/s).

So, if like me, you don't mind the speed issue then it's a good buy.

Also I formatted the drive as soon as I got it as the SanDisk SecureAccess software it comes with has gotten terrible reviews and I really didn't need it at all. I think deleting the appropriate files will do the job too, though formatting just feels more thorough.

Advertisement