Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatric Nursing with a history of mental health problems

Options
  • 20-12-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,
    I am interested in applying to study psychiatric nursing next year, as a mature student (I am 32). I the past I have had some mental health problems resulting in hospitalization, but I have been well for a long time. I'm wondering would it count against me in the application process? Or anybody have any advice for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

If you are well and pose no danger to yourself or your patients then definitely not. You'll have to go through an occupational health screening (everyone does) but if you're well you should be fine. I will say that you might come across triggers or cases that upset you during your placements, this happens for everyone too...just be sure you have a good support system at home and some reliable coping strategies for when s*** hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sherlock1991

exactly you will just have to go through occupational health if anything your history will make you an even better nurse than the rest of us. DCU have an excellent support network and a couple of the mental health lecturers too have ongoing mental health conditions and are incredible people to be taught by cause they have so much insight. they have also had great advice for colleagues who have been in similar situations and are extremely private

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diego1983

Hi bluestarshine,
    I'm in a similar position to yourself re undertaking mental health nursing, with a history of mental health problems. I start in September. I just wondered how you have found the placement etc?
    any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bluestarshine

hi,
    I didn't actually start the course yet, Im starting in Trinity this year. I hope it goes well. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diego1983

Ok cool. Well the very best of luck with it! and thanks for the reply!

• Advertisement
Advertisement