Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing weird ingredients

Options
  • 20-12-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. My dad is planning some sort of mad starter for Christmas and has asked if I could source:

Pickled Ginger
    Pickled Ginger Juice (I assume this comes with the pickled ginger?)
    and Pickled Crab meat

Does anyone know a place that would definitely stock these? I think one of those chinese shops should have the pickled ginger but the pickled crab meat has me particularly flumoxed.

Fallon and Byrnes?

Would I be shot if I posted this on the cooking forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You can probably get them all in an Asian market. If you are in Dublin I would recommend the Asia Supermarket off Drury St. They definitely have the pickled ginger and I would image they might have the rest. Though, I think you can also buy pickled ginger in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I second that. I'd say you'd get them in the Asian Supermarket in Drury St. Has a huge variety of stuff and their fresh vegetables are great quality too. If you can't get the stuff locally you should try them. Got some lovely fresh ginger roots the other day - they seem to have a high turnover so their stuff is always fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I would also try any of the eastern european stores. Germans and eastern europeans love pickled everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Did he also ask you to get a skirting board ladder, some striped paint, a glass hammer and a bucket of haw? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Thanks folks. I got the ginger in the Chinese shop across the road from my gaff. I'm beginning to think there's no such thing as pickled crab. They hadn't heard of it in Liston's or Fallon and Byrnes so if they don't have it it's unlikely that anyone else will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Would it maybe be crab meat in brine? Is it in brine in the little tins? You could buy a tub of crab meat and brine it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

By any chance is he planning on Paul Flynn's crab creme brûlée (recipe link below)? In that case he meant 'picked' crab meat rather than 'pickled'.

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/0926/657-crab-creme-brulee/

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

By any chance is he planning on Paul Flynn's crab creme brûlée (recipe link below)? In that case he meant 'picked' crab meat rather than 'pickled'.

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/0926/657-crab-creme-brulee/

I don't think so (even though that does look nice).

He wanted 30g of pickled ginger and 30g of pickled ginger juice (grams of juice?). Anyway, he says regular crab will be fine.

Advertisement