Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fondant or Royal icing for Christmas cake?

Options
  • 20-12-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

It's my second year baking a cake. I've just marzipaned it and hope to ice it on Monday or Tuesday.

However, as a novice I'm not to sure what type or icing should I opt for Royal or Fondant. Royal seems to be the traditional yet fondant seems to be quite popular.

What do you think and why?

As always many thanks for your replies.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

kah22 wrote: »
    It's my second year baking a cake. I've just marzipaned it and hope to ice it on Monday or Tuesday.

However, as a novice I'm not to sure what type or icing should I opt for Royal or Fondant. Royal seems to be the traditional yet fondant seems to be quite popular.

What do you think and why?

As always many thanks for your replies.

Kevin

Peasonally I would recommend Royal. It's not quite as easy to do as fondant but tastes so so much better. Yum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I prefer to look of fondant, but it doesn't taste great. I suppose it depends on what decoration you're planning on doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Faith wrote: »
    I prefer to look of fondant, but it doesn't taste great. I suppose it depends on what decoration you're planning on doing.

+1 on that, since i started doing the kids and OH birthday cakes and Christmas cakes was using fondant like it was going out of fashion , till I realised its not that nice at all
    This Christmas i went for royal icing ,
    Lack of taste in fondant has me going back to traditional icing,

You could go with a mix of both I'd only use a thin layer of fondant on top and the rest in royal and maybe a ribbon around the sides ,
    Been a bloke it can look pretty ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Faith wrote: »

Have you ever tried making your own fondant? I have used Marshmallow Fondant before and it is much nicer to eat.

It takes flavour well so you can add things like orange oil or vanilla. I have never bothered with using mini marshmallows - the big ones are fine. I did the basic mixing with my Kenwood and there is a LOT of kneading. But worth it in my opinion.

The only thing is you do need all white marshmallows because obviously the pink ones affect the colour.

Advertisement