Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do NOT use your AIB Bank Cards!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Sully wrote: »
    Couldn't be. They are not Indian. :pac:

I have been using my card in Point of Sale locations over the past few days and once at an ATM (no idea what bank, it was in a Centra). Thankfully, I have had no problems and my bank account has been double checked to ensure I haven't been double charged. I appear to be a lucky one.

As frustrating and annoying that this situation is, its the first time to happen and it hit on a weekend. Its not even a major outage. AIB Customers should count themselves lucky seeing as Ulster Bank customers have had a far far worse time over a much longer period.

Welcome to the world, not everything runs smoothly 24/7. Regardless of the location.

Exactly, it's just unlucky and unfortunate it has happened at this time of year, but hey, that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Ally Dick wrote: »
    AIB says their problems were caused by "a third party service provider". I'll translate that for yor you "Because of the bailout and the cost of IT, we at AIB have offered redundancy to our Irish staff and have outsourced our IT to HCL India. That's who we mean when we talk about a third party service provider. We took a chance on going the cheap route for our IT and this is when mistakes are made. However management are happy that HCL will be the ones fined for this, and to hell with the annoyance of the customer"

As far as I know the HCL arrangement has nothing to do with point of sale or ATMs for that matter...I'm guessing they are referring to TSYS when they refer to a third party...

Since you've raised the point about going the cheap route...the other side of that argument is that the bank, who
    we have bailed out, is obliged to reduce their cost base while also providing for the expected levels of availability. I'd suggest that if they weren't looking at outsourcing, I'd be asking why not, when most medium to large organisations are also looking to go the same route.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Since you've raised the point about going the cheap route...the other side of that argument is that the bank, who
    we have bailed out, is obliged to reduce their cost base while also providing for the expected levels of availability. I'd suggest that if they weren't looking at outsourcing, I'd be asking why not, when most medium to large organisations are also looking to go the same route.

You can be damn sure if they were spending a fortune on their IT systems, the media and the public would go absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Is this still affecting anybody else, couldn't withdraw from an AIB atm today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The issue is now fully resolved, according to a media statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Used my debit card at a BOI ATM in a shop about an hour ago with no problems so issue seems to have been sorted for now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Starting to think that the problem is with TSYS who are responsible for the ATM services run by all the banks

It's obviously not, considering only one bank is having the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

As far as I know the HCL arrangement has nothing to do with point of sale or ATMs for that matter...I'm guessing they are referring to TSYS when they refer to a third party...

Ulster bank problems were caused by an outsource employee in India wiping the schedule. In the cover up they said that the problem occurred in Edinburgh. AIB will argue that their IT is in Ballsbridge. The mainframe is located there alright but the people with the control over it are in India. Bank Of Ireland are at the same thing. No point in trying to save money if it wrecks your IT and makes Irish people redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Their twitter says the situation is resolved but I just tried to withdraw my rent there again in Dublin and its the exact same error as the one in Galway, record in the app shows the money being taken then refunded, card spends a ong time in the machine, this was from an AIB atm on the side of an AIB bank again aswell, have to go into them in the morning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Ulster bank problems were caused by an outsource employee in India wiping the schedule. In the cover up they said that the problem occurred in Edinburgh. AIB will argue that their IT is in Ballsbridge. The mainframe is located there alright but the people with the control over it are in India. Bank Of Ireland are at the same thing. No point in trying to save money if it wrecks your IT and makes Irish people redundant

Leaving aside your obvious predisposition to avoid off shoring work, do you not think it could also happen that an irish employee could bugger things up just as well as an Indian employee?

I recall reading at the time the rumour that an Indian outsource employee had made a tits of things, but I also believe that the severity and prolonged nature of the UB outage was a culmination of a number of issues not confined to offshore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Leaving aside your obvious predisposition to avoid off shoring work, do you not think it could also happen that an irish employee could bugger things up just as well as an Indian employee?

I recall reading at the time the rumour that an Indian outsource employee had made a tits of things, but I also believe that the severity and prolonged nature of the UB outage was a culmination of a number of issues not confined to offshore.

Offshore people don't have a clue about banking. Reckless bank executives think that all IT is the same. They don't understand that the business of a bank is "banking" and IT serves that purpose. When the work is outsourced, the experienced domestic people often leave. The reason it took Ulster bank ages to recover was because the Indian IT people didn't know the system well enough e.g order of posting, interest etc They also couldn't care less about a man at an ATM in Dublin hopping mad over not being able to withdraw money. They are 3000 miles away. Outsourcing and offshoring of bank IT are a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cheeky of them to say it was fully resolved last night when you see the chaos in their branches this morning, AIB ATMS are NOT working, I asked a guy at the customer service why they're declaring in the media that the issue is fully resolved when there's queues out the door to the desks in the branch with people just trying to withdraw money, his laughable response was that the machine was working but it was just "jammed"... Complete bullsh1t, I tried 3 AIB atms before going to the bank and none of them worked, same for the 100 people queuing out the door in the bank aswell.

I did have good customer service experience when a nice lady approached me at the back of the queue and asked me what I needed, said I just wanted to withdraw my rent and she took my details right there and brought me the cash from the back room in an envelope, nice of her and it saved me an hour or two of queuing but definitely not a sign that the issue is fully resolved as they're claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all, I was asked to post the following on behalf of AIB.
    AIB wrote:
    23rd December 2013
    AIB wishes to advise that we are no longer experiencing issues with our Debit cards on non-AIB ATMs. We are continuing to monitor the situation.

All customer accounts that were affected by the issues from Friday and Saturday should be corrected by Monday night 23rd December, including updating the correct pending transactions.

Updates are being posted on www.aib.ie, on Twitter @AskAIB & the AskAIB Facebook page.

AIB apologises to all customers for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

Thanks
    Tom
    Manager, Online Service Management

Advertisement