Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy Park

• 20-12-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Does anyone walk here regularly?

We took our dogs and kids there last weekend for a walk. I noted on the sign at the entrance that dogs are allowed to be off lead in the park up to 11am (I think!) and for the last hour of the day.

We were there at lunchtime, so during the time when dogs should technically be on lead. We purposefully tend to avoid in places where there are loads of dogs offlead as we have one dog who can be reactive to other dogs and another who can be a little nervous of other dogs. Also, as our dogs are greyhounds by law they are not allowed off lead in a public place so at weekends when we know places are likely to be busy we prefer to take them to places where other dogs are also going to on lead as its not fair for them to be stuck on the lead while all others are running rings around them!

Anyway, it became apparent as soon as we entered the park that no one was bothering to adhere to the rule and almost every dog was off lead. A good number were 'under control' in that they were pottering about near their owners, chasing balls etc. and that didn't bother me too much but there were also a good number who didn't appear to me to be 'under control' in the sense that they were coming over to our onlead dogs and their owners weren't able to get them back without coming over and removing them.

So I'm wondering is it a case that a lot of the walkers in Bushy Park don't bother to abide by the rules in relation to when dogs need to be on lead? Are there wardens there and do they ever enforce the rule?

I get that its a nice space for a dog to run but there are set times to do this and if someone wants to run their dog why wouldn't they take them somewhere where they are permitted to do so and show some respect for those people who would prefer for whatever reason not to have dogs charging up to their dogs and kids while the owner meekly tries to get them back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Vel wrote: »
    So I'm wondering is it a case that a lot of the walkers in Bushy Park don't bother to abide by the rules in relation to when dogs need to be on lead? Are there wardens there and do they ever enforce the rule?

Dublin City Council employ wardens in the summer/brighter months who drive around each (DCC) park in the city for a few mins a few times a day. The dog warden will make the occasional appearance also - outside of these times it's 'safe' to let the dogs off lead and even if the warden catches you alls you have to do is politely apologise, put the dog back on and let them off when the warden leaves. Our park has part time wardens too who open/lock up and occasionally pick up rubbish - as long as the dogs aren't bothering anyone they don't care if they're off lead.

Should the dogs be on from 11-last hour yes - do I let my dogs off outside these times? Of course I do - I know exactly where I can let them off in our park where they're not going to bother any one/other dogs. The park is as much mine as anyone else's so if everyone can enjoy it without bothering each other what's the harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

tk123 wrote: »

The park is as much mine as anyone else's so if everyone can enjoy it without bothering each other what's the harm?

You may have missed this part of my post ;): 'A good number were 'under control' in that they were pottering about near their owners, chasing balls etc. and that didn't bother me too much but there were also a good number who didn't appear to me to be 'under control' in the sense that they were coming over to our onlead dogs and their owners weren't able to get them back without coming over and removing them'

I presume you don't let your dogs bother other park users when they are off lead outside the permitted times, and if not then as above I don't really have a problem, but I'm afraid on the day we were there there were a lot of owners who weren't so considerate.

Your comment about the park being as much yours as everyone else's I find a bit strange though! Yes, maybe so, but it isn't anyone's to do as they wish and I wonder why people would choose to flout the rules when they are, to me anyway, fair in that they allow for both on lead and off lead.

I can't get my head around why people who wants to let their dog have a good run but have zero control over them, thus allowing them to bother other people can't do it somewhere other than in a park during a time when dogs are supposed to be on lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Some people are just idiots thou? When our dogs our off lead they'll play together out of the way of everyone else, maybe have a swim/paddle in the river if we have a clear 'field' (the park is smallish bit everyone calls the grass 'fields' lol) with nobody that they might annoy..other side of the scale is idiots who just let the dogs off and dog and owner are basically on their separate walks around the park - this drives me mad! These are the ones who'll stand arguing with the dog warden for 30 mins about how they're paying his wages etc etc (ffs!) and being tools - I don't honestly think anything would make them be responsible for the dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I used to walk my dog there when he was young, but as he is RB he was always on lead and the amount of dog that would CHARGE up to him was ridiculous so I stopped bringing him (not fair to him at all). The last time I was there, walking a friend's little dog, who was elderly and minds his own business, he was almost knocked over by a lab, whose owner was on the second pitch, near the little club house. Calling him to no avail.
    Now this dog was not at all aggressive, but super boisterous and way too much dog for the fellow I was walking, I had to grab his collar and stand there like an eegit for the owner to come over and get him, mumbling about how he's only playing and still a pup. Indeed. I wasn't going to dispute that, but it's hardly the point.
    I find Tymon Park much better for walking undisturbed, and Dodder Valley best of all.

Advertisement