Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals being dumped in rural areas

Options
  • 20-12-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

A terrier bitch and 3 weaned pups dumped at the top of our road 3 days ago. Neighbour found them under a hedge and took them home. No joy on finding the owner, SPCA and MADRA full and unable to assist. Neighbour found a home for the bitch and 2 female pups, I took the male pup who is just lovely and somewhat trained (I think).

My boy comes home from school yesterday and says that a friend in school told him that she had seen people throw a kitten into a hedge and drive off. My sons friends family then recovered the kitten.

My opinion on this type of behaviour is too strong to express here. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Sickens me when I hear tales like this... if you can do this sort of things to animals..... what are these people like with human relationships. Fair play to you Oldtree. I would home 20 dogs if I could afford it. The 2 I have are my limit unfortunately.

And when people are prosecuted for cruelty, derisory sentences usually apply.... makes me so angry......

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

Plenty of this going on, there are numbers to call and reports you can make, but the slowness of services to get back to you is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

osprey wrote: »
    Plenty of this going on, there are numbers to call and reports you can make, but the slowness of services to get back to you is a disgrace.
    Unfortunately the government services (pounds) don't really operate any kind of emergency service and everyone else is a charity limited by resources and money.

It's an ongoing problem in Ireland because Governments are continually afraid to use more than light touch legislation where animals are concerned because the farmers, studs and greyhound lobbies kick up a stink when you dare to tell them what to do.

We tend to wax lyrical about the reputation of our meat and our studs, but we're known as complete joke across Europe where animal welfare is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

seamus wrote: »
    Unfortunately the government services (pounds) don't really operate any kind of emergency service and everyone else is a charity limited by resources and money.

It's an ongoing problem in Ireland because Governments are continually afraid to use more than light touch legislation where animals are concerned because the farmers, studs and greyhound lobbies kick up a stink when you dare to tell them what to do.

We tend to wax lyrical about the reputation of our meat and our studs, but we're known as complete joke across Europe where animal welfare is concerned.

I agree with that 100% There were horses nearby last year that weren't seen to until three days after I made the calls. One of them had a transport palet stuck around its neck. All worked out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Seems to be a common occurence at Xmas time, see here.

Very sad and a puppy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

seamus wrote: »
    and our efforts at planning control, environmental protection, clean potable water, etc, etc......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

This type of ****e makes my piss boil i have a terrier here that was found on the road in an awful state. He is a long haired type his hair all matted starving with the hunger took me a full year before he would trust me. These type of pricks never think of how it effects the poor animal not joking if i caught someone dropping off an animal i would leaving them where i found them. Fair play to ya oldtree for helping them dogs.

My 15+ year old collie passed just before xmas, it was very sad as he was my constant companion for over 10 years. I got him when he was a 5/6 year old working dog from a neighbour farmer that had passed, and knew him already. So I felt that as i was used to a working dog and that they would be the least likely to be adopted, I went looking for one, none in madra or spca or pound and I was pointed towards done deal that there are loads of collie pups on there (for free!) It was true and I checked the mayo/galway section and there was one 4 year old collie, an unwanted farmers dog free to a good home. Picked him up the next day and he has a lovely nature, good obedience, loves the kids and is a bundle of joy. He had been on done deal for over 50 days when I saw him. It was very good of the farmer to put him on there and then wait for me to come along

Always sad when your dog passes on. About the only thing I shed a tear at nowadays.... apart from cooking a good onion soup!

I have 7 collie/jack russell pups with me for a couple of weeks. Fostering them after being abandoned over Xmas. Its carnage but little moments of joy. Shan't be keeping any though.... they are all off soon to new homes.

TT

Well done, don't know how you manage 7 pups, my terrier/collie pup is chewing everything esp my slippers for some reason :D

• Advertisement

This is about as still as they get.... straight after their meal

6FQr9X.jpg

TT

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TopTec wrote: »
    This is about as still as they get.... straight after their meal

6FQr9X.jpg

TT

Great pic, well done.

Advertisement