Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Waits

• 20-12-2013 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

I really like Tom Waits when he is sitting in front of a piano or has an acoustic out, he can write a song and has a very unique voice.

My favourites would be "I hope that I don't fall in love with you", "Take it with me" and his version of Waltzing Matilda.

However, I don't really have an ear for obscure experimental music of which he has volumes. Can anyone recommend some more songs based on my favourites above? I have been trying to find similar info online unsuccesfuly and don't know any Tom Waits experts to help me.

Also, does he ever play Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

He played a gig in the Phoenix Park back in 2008, but I wasn't prepared to pay €100+ to stand in a marquee tent in a field of mud (I heard the acoustics were absolutely terrible...). He hasn't toured since and has no plans to, according to his website. I saw him once years ago in Paris and it was amazing.

You should do a search on Youtube/Grooveshark etc.; most of his stuff is up there. From the songs you've mentioned I'd say definitely check out The Early Years for some really melodic renditions of songs that went on to feature on later albums — but in acoustic versions, and back then he really sang, rather than, well, growling... :D

Full discography here. Check out the 1970s albums (and Heart Attack and Vine) if you prefer the softer, more jazz/blues-influenced stuff to the later sound. The Heart of Saturday Night is one of my all-time favourites, not because it's particularly original or anything but because it's just a bunch of beautiful songs.

And of course a woman of your interests (;)) should check out the legendary live double Nighthawks at the Diner for the opening track, "Emotional Weather Report". I wager you'll stay 'til the end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

much prefer his later crazier stuff to his boozy piano music. Saw him in the Phoenix Park (it was actually in 2008) and he was incredible.

Good starting point for his "artier" material would be the Rain Dogs album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I'd say you'd like Mule Variations, lots of relatively straightforward ballads and accessible 'noisier' stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

loyatemu wrote: »
    much prefer his later crazier stuff to his boozy piano music.
    Agreed; much more interesting, "artistically" speaking. But the boozy piano stuff suits my mawkish mood sometimes... hey, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy, y'know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

I really like Nighthawks, my first Waits album, but I'd recommend two others for you:-

Closing Time, his first album, not only has "I hope I dont fall in love with you" but also the excellent "Martha", which is probably my favourite Waits song.

The other highly recommended 70's album is Small Change where I think he perfected the barroom crooner persona of the 70s albums. Most of his output beyond 1983's Swordfishtrombones has much to recommend but probably not what you are after just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Downtown train is a great song. Hard to believe Rod Stewart's cover version is the one everyone knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

Thanks everyone, you're all great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Would prefer his later stuff but would also recommend The Heart of Saturday Night if you like the piano kind of stuff. The Alice album from 2002 also has some beautiful stuff on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

parasite wrote: »
    I'd say you'd like Mule Variations, lots of relatively straightforward ballads and accessible 'noisier' stuff

Brilliant album, this is a gem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Great musician, fantastic actor, he is a creepy looking ****er, loved him in Seven Psychopaths, he has a rabbit and the role of Renfield in Dracula suited him greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I loved the conversation between him and Iggy Pop in Coffee and Cigarettes. Also, if you get the chance, watch the film Wristcutters: A Love Story. A pretty cool and weird as hell film that he plays a role in.

As regards his music, I agree that Rain Dogs is a good starting point. There's so much variaty on it and so many great songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmUsorkwA4g
    Best version of "Tom Trauberts Blues" imo

Massive Fan here (hence the name)

Heres my fave ballads(apart from the ones mentioned)

Soldiers Things(Swordfishtrombones)
    Alice(Alice)
    Blind Love(Raindogs)
    Time(Raindogs)
    All The World Is Green(Blood Money)
    If I Have To Go(my fave Tom ballad, from the Bawlers disc of "Orphans")
    Kentucky Avenue(Blue Valentine)
    Blue Valentine(Blue Valentine)
    Little Rain(Bone Machine)
    Who Are You(Bone Machine)
    Long Way Home(from the Bawlers disc of "Orphans")
    Widows Grove(from the Bawlers disc of "Orphans")

All of "Closing Time" and "The Heart Of Saturday" are very accessible

The last night in Phoenix Park was one of the best gigs ive ever been to(the night before was great but the last night was off the charts, fantastic setlist)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

A bit of a shout out here for his most recent album "Bad as me".

"Pay me" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Also the last song on the album "New Years's Eve" manages to be touching and funny at the same time.
    Both songs would suit the type of song in the OP.

Regarding the Phoenix Park gig, I'd never heard that the sound had been criticised. If I live to 100 and am asked on my deathbed to name my 10 greatest nights ever, I think that gig will be included. (It was an all-seated gig btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I meant to mention "Pay Me" and "New Years Eve" as well, great songs, "Pay Me" is lovely.....and "Im Still Here"! if I wasn't so hungover id list out my "Toms Bawlers" playlist on ITunes

"Jersey Girl" theres another......and "Train Song"(the Big Time version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Come on along with zee Black Rider. We'll have a gay old time.

Advertisement