Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB meter door cabinet broken

Options
  • 20-12-2013 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi my ESB meter cabinet door is broken and just swinging open and closed in the wind the hole time. Will the ESB come out and replace the door free of charge? Or is it just my responsibly?

Can I just buy the door itself in an electrical suppliers and replace it myself or can I just save myself the hassle if the ESB will do it for free.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Well if you phone them they will tell you whether it's their issue to resolve or not. Call 1850372372 to report the fault.

While waiting to have it fixed you should secure it closed (try jamming something against it) because rainwater entering the meter box can cause damage, and can even be a fire hazard. This is the wrong time of year to have an open meter box.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

martineire wrote: »
    swinging open and closed in the wind the hole time.

Thanks

tape it up or something:pac: while you're waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

wholesalers sell them for about 20 euro a pop, i'd imagine that the esb will charge a lot more to come out and replace it, and im unsure if they even do.
    I f you have trouble sourcing one drop me a pm.

they're not a standard fit either ime

only the door dimensions are the same

so you need to bring the old door with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Probably simpler to fit a latch of some type

Other than that drill a hole in the door with a downlight holesaw level with the numbers on the meter
    Mastic some toughened glass inside the door
    Then screw the door closed
    Then the Esb meter reader just has to look through the glass and not open door

I have some glass if you want some(old 500w halogen light)

• Advertisement

the glass is a good idea for a problem door

i don't think they can pull you for tampering with the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The ESB need access to their equipment installed in the cabinet so sealing up the door wouldnt be an option there, also in an emergency situation of a fire brigade call out and if they need to isolate power to the building the cabinet is where they do so, now granted it would not take much time to smash a door to gain access but in terms of an emergency every second counts and often seconds could mean life or death in emergency situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭ALS

Had the same problem last year and rang Esb on that number above , they gave me another to ring and it was replaced the next day , no charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Zen65 wrote: »
    Well if you phone them they will tell you whether it's their issue to resolve or not. Call 1850372372 to report the fault.

While waiting to have it fixed you should secure it closed (try jamming something against it) because rainwater entering the meter box can cause damage, and can even be a fire hazard. This is the wrong time of year to have an open meter box.

Z

Mine was broken off once, then one day I was passing and noticed it was replaced without me having to do anything. I guess the meter man reported it.

Advertisement