Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly cat with compressed disc injury

• 20-12-2013 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My cat had an accident the other day we think somebody may have kicked her she more than likely has a compressed disc and is down in beaufield vets. She is 14 years old. Has anyone else pet have the same issues? if so what does treatment involve and do you think it is worth it at 14 years?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Hi guys,

My cat had an accident the other day we think somebody may have kicked her she more than likely has a compressed disc and is down in beaufield vets. She is 14 years old. Has anyone else pet have the same issues? if so what does treatment involve and do you think it is worth it at 14 years?
    Thanks

I haven't got any help for you, but I hope that your cat's injury turns out to be less extreme than they sound. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

One of mine had a herniated disc a year ago. Strict crate rest and steroids were recommended by the vet, I had a dog crate which she had to live in for 6weeks. The next option would have been surgery, but thankfully wasn't necessary.
    Don't give up just because the cat is 14!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Surgery at that age is not worth the risk. Can this be managed with painkillers? My dog has something similar and is the same age and will be on painkillers daily for the rest of his life

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭westliferule

Thanks guys,

I am not giving up on her just because she is 14 the vet is due to ring tomorrow and let me know what they are going to do she wasn't any better this morning so they don't really know and they aren't 100 per cent sure it is her disc.

Advertisement