Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobbler Closing at The Ormonde

Options
  • 20-12-2013 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Just back from Pat the Cobbler's at the Ormonde. A sign on the door explaining that he's closing down as of Christmas Eve. Pat told me he's been a cobbler for 50 years and was now calling it a day.

Just like to take this opportunity to wish Pat a very well-deserved and happy retirement. How many times did I leave his shop feeling more than a little guilty having just been charged some ridiculously low price (or sometimes nothing!) for the benefits of his skilled work. I've no doubt many others have the same story to tell. He told me a touching story of how over the years anxious school boys who'd ripped shoes/school bags etc would often come in to him and he'd save them an ear-bashing (or worse!) by mending their things for free.

Pat is a true gentleman and will be sorely missed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Agreed on above. Pat worked for years in Bran-Nu on Patrick Street in Dun Laoghaire where he learned his trade. A real gentleman who always has time to chat to his customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

He's a gent. Will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

FirstIn wrote: »
    He's a gent. Will be missed.

Not by me. He let me down badly recently, promising a repair to a boot by a date agreed. When I went back to collect them he hadn't even looked at them.
    Luckily the guy in Bray did the job the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

loobylou wrote: »
    Not by me. He let me down badly recently, promising a repair to a boot by a date agreed. When I went back to collect them he hadn't even looked at them.

You are the exception . Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

loobylou wrote: »

never let me down once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Fiveplusone

Never let me down either since he opened the business in Greystones

he certainly was one of the 'goodfellas',check out the poster behind him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Happy Retirement Pat!, Is there anything occupying the Ormonde Building now Besides the Funeral Parlour?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Happy Retirement Pat!, Is there anything occupying the Ormonde Building now Besides the Funeral Parlour?

Just memories.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭gibbon6

The end of a era. Pat is a really nice man who will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

gibbon6 wrote: »
    The end of a era. Pat is a really nice man who will be missed.

Wouldnt the old cinema be a great spot for mc.donalds?? Rather than the entrance road for the town .beside schools..etc

ok then.................yes it would

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maudi - did you Not fix the duplicate posting issue

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Maudi wrote: »
    Wouldnt the old cinema be a great spot for mc.donalds?? Rather than the entrance road for the town .beside schools..etc

Isn't The Ormonde between two primary schools (St. Patrick's & St. Kevin's) ? Plus I could think of better uses than a McDonald's! I do take your point though- the building is unique and surely has lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Maudi - did you Not fix the duplicate posting issue
    I don't think so, don't think so, don't think so... is there an app for that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

We normally get three posts. So we're moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

FirstIn wrote: »
    We normally get three posts. So we're moving in the right direction.

Quantity doesn't always beat quality... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Pat's a real gent, had great talks with him. His horse tips were horses**t but I really hope he enjoys retirement.

Given the great value and generosity, I'd doubt Pat's as well-heeled as our shoes but I'll be back on my feet now with this sole destroying news...TAXI!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

He was a gentleman and will be sorely missed. I brought my daughters Irish dancing pumps to him and he refused to let me pay him, he wouldn't take money for kids shoes. He was a real gem and I wish him all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pluto1

Will Pat's space be up for rent again....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Digging up an old-ish thread, but does anyone know of any other local cobblers?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Pat Vance in Bray has been around for years. He's down the road opposite the Holy Redeemer Church, I think it's Florence Road.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Digging up an old-ish thread, but does anyone know of any other local cobblers?

There are loads of old cobblers on Boards :eek:

Advertisement