Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would it be bad for the NFL if Seattle don't make it to the Superbowl?

• 20-12-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Picking Seattle as opposed to Denver as an example as I think they're been more consistent over the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the parity in the NFL and compared to soccer, it's much better.

However this season seems like it has had more unpredictability than most.
    Most teams in the playoff hunt are winning one week, losing the next.

On some level, you still need to have a few teams maintain good form throughout the season. Otherwise, you'll just have a prevailing view of the entire league being mired in mediocrity. That would then lead to a sever devaluing of the regular season.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, I don't understand why you think it would be bad. If they are not good enough to win the playoff games they don't deserve to go to the Superbowl.

to my mid the playoffs is a brand new competition and the regular season only serves to decide who plays at home, the slate is wiped clean in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

"Any given Sunday"

It would make no difference if Seattle or Denver dont make it. As adrian522 said its all about getting to the playoffs. The NFL is unpredictable & the margin for error in the playoffs is tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ive never read a more incoherent OP in my life. Its rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I agree to an extent in the sense that I don't want a bad team that had no business in the playoffs "get hot" and win the thing, but apart from the NFC East winner (and maybe the NFC North winner) I definitely think all the NFC playoff teams are worthy. On the other hand I think it would be a shame if NE, Denver or KC didn't represent the AFC because the other teams just don't look like they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Maybe it's just me then.
    I like to see some carryover from regular season form into post season form.
    Otherwise it feels like the regular season was a little pointless and you could just have picked some teams at random.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

vetinari wrote: »
    Otherwise it feels like the regular season was a little pointless and you could just have picked some teams at random.
    Remind me of the Simpsons:
    "the road to the superbowl is long and pointless...I mean... When you think about it"

"heh heh, football's so great!"

Remind me of the Simpsons:
    "the road to the superbowl is long and pointless...I mean... When you think about it"

"heh heh, football's so great!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Would it be bad to have the team of players with themore fail drug tests in recent years not win the superbowl?? no doubt it

If you're referring to the Seahawks, a lot of the drug test failures were for non performance enhancing drugs.
    (Am a Patriots fan btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

If you're referring to the Seahawks, a lot of the drug test failures were for non performance enhancing drugs.
    (Am a Patriots fan btw)

It s amazing the amount of players suddenly on adderol since under the CBA the league can't say what they're taking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If the Seahawks are good enough to get to the Super Bowl then they deserve to be there.

OT: But I was talking about the weed convictions.
    Adderol is a PED.

Matthew8's point is what I was trying to make.
    The Ravens getting hot now and getting through to the Superbowl would render the first half of the season meaningless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No it wouldn't, by that logic, putting the Seahawks and Broncos into the superbowl would render the playoffs meaningless. Win your playoff games or you dont deserve to go to the superbowl. It's not complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

No. The NFL will be popular regardless and if Carolina got a rematch with Seattle, an upset wouldn't shock me. Officiating, esp. the way they apply the targeting rules is a much bigger issue. Tackle Drew Brees by the front of his collar, get a penalty. Break a punters jaw and crack his vertebrae with a cheap shot, nothing. PI calls and non-calls not being consistent or correct (det v balt last mon nite) also. Seattle's schedule from week 3 to the bye, only good team they played was the Colts and they lost. They rely on their home field advantage a lot, and they will probably get to the super bowl because of it as they can wrap up the 1 seed this weekend by beating the Cardinals at home, a team they owned the first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If the Seahawks are good enough to get to the Super Bowl then they deserve to be there.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If the Seahawks need a drug regime are to get them to the Super Bowl then they don't deserve to be there.

Fyp....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Guys...Guys, this is a moot point...SEATTLE WINS IT ALL!

Close this mod, discussion over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The playoffs are essentially a new season. Anything can happen. The last eight Super Bowl winners have had an average seed of #4 and over the last 8 years, only one #1 seed has actually won the Bowl (New Orleans).

I don't think it would be bad for the NFL if the Seahawks don't make the Bowl. In fact, I think the unpredictability it's what makes the sport so good.

I don't think it would be such a bad thing for a team with this many drug related suspensions to not win the superbowl. I'm a bit biased that way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

LOL at people giving the Seahawks crap about PEDs. They are widespread throughout college and the pros. Even big high school programs. Naive to think otherwise. It's remarkably easy to get away with these days. You really have to be careless or an idiot to get caught. Not a seahawks fan btw

• Advertisement

osl wrote: »
    LOL at people giving the Seahawks crap about PEDs...You really have to be careless or an idiot to get caught.

So which do you figure the hawks are?

Can't say i know the ins and outs of Seattle's cases. If its weed that's pretty idiotic. If they screwed up cycling on and off PED's that's pretty careless I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

osl wrote: »
    LOL at people giving the Seahawks crap about PEDs. They are widespread throughout college and the pros. Even big high school programs. Naive to think otherwise. It's remarkably easy to get away with these days. You really have to be careless or an idiot to get caught. Not a seahawks fan btw

Every team faces the same volume of testing, yet the Seahawks have a worrying number of positives. Therefore it is natural to conclude that drug use must be taking place at a higher level than other teams. I hope they are dumped out in the playoffs, because a SB won by them would be tainted imo.

Putin wrote: »
    Every team faces the same volume of testing, yet the Seahawks have a worrying number of positives. Therefore it is natural to conclude that drug use must be taking place at a higher level than other teams. I hope they are dumped out in the playoffs, because a SB won by them would be tainted imo.

Or they aren't as organised in regards to their PED program in comparison with the rest of the league. Here is the list of suspensions for substance abuse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_and_coaches_suspended_by_the_NFL
    The redskins have been as bad if not worse, but they rarely get mentioned. There is an even enough spread throughout the league anyway. They are the 2 worst it seems, but that's just variance imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Once Seattle achieve home field status for the playoffs id imagine they make it to the SB and win it, perfect playing conditions for them in New York for the SB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Once Seattle achieve home field status for the playoffs id imagine they make it to the SB and win it, perfect playing conditions for them in New York for the SB

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

well said booty:cool:

well said booty:cool:

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Back in June I put $30 on Seattle to win the superbowl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement