Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is spiced beef pressed after cooking

Options
  • 20-12-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

hi, I just read a few recipes for cooking spiced beef and pressing with a heavy weight afterwards.
    Is this to remove moisture ?
    If so , does the meat last longer and for how longer than if it was'nt pressed ?
    and finally , does this apply to all meats that are to be eaten cold?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Pressing is mostly used to create a pleasing and suitable shape for slicing....and it does with Tongue and other cuts, not really needed at all with Spiced beef tbh...it is already a slice friendly shape and does not need compressing, enjoy your Spiced beef over the Xmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've never heard of pressing spiced beef, and it's a regular Christmas thing in our house. In fact, I've got a piece in the fridge which is going to get cooked shortly for sandwiches and snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We don't press it here either. Just simmer it, then let it cool completely in the pot of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I have another one to cook yet and I just might try pressing it just to see, might remove that slight crumbly effect it has.....but also means I cannot scoop up said crumbs while slicing.....decisions...decisions....:)

Oh someone posted about using cheesecloth to cook it in, I did and it held all the spices to the meat, looked and tasted better.

Advertisement