Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got stung by 02 for a 100 euros.

Options
  • 20-12-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Went over mobile broadband plan by 4 gb and there charging me a hundred euro's, knew I had went over but at no idea they were charging 20 euros per gb, just wondering they gave me a form to get signed by the bank which I never did so do they legally have any right to access my bank account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Ignorance is bliss! Not O2s fault OP, you should of read the T's & C's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

got stung by yourself for not reading your contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

davo2001 wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss! Not O2s fault OP, you should of read the T's & C's!

O2 are charging an excessive amount of money per GB above the cap.

O2, like most telcos, to some degree, profit from consumer ignorance, about the somewhat hidden and frequently multi-layered complex out-of-bundle charges.

Whilst, the consumer must bear a degree of the responsibility, O2 should also act responsibility.

If O2 really cared, they would have auto-text messages set up when someone exceeds their bundle, with a warning as to the cost. This is very easy for them to set up.

Instead, O2 profit while the OP who clearly did not understand the out of bundle costs is out of pocket at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Having been ripped off by these people too it amazes me everytime their PR gurus try to pretend that this 'caring company' cherish the customer when in reality, they are actually lurking in the undergrowth waiting for the customer to make a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Comreg are negligent in this respect also, they should require the notification text and regulate out of bundle charges to some reasonable multiple of the bundle charge. The situation where one byte of data can cost anything up to 100 times another byte of data does not reflect underlying costs and is ripe for consumer exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

scam

emobile offers 500MB data allowance on some of their billpay plans

i had them turn off network data and just use wi-fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If provider charges as per the terms and rates of contract signed by the consumer then there is only one party responsible for the charge and it isn't O2. Assuming you are not a child, you used the service, you pay for what you used.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fungus wrote: »
    O2 are charging an excessive amount of money per GB above the cap.

The same argument could be made for the cost of every telephone call you ever make,

The cost you pay is far far farrrr higher then the price it costs the teleco to route the call and this always has been the case,

Why aren't you starting threads about that every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Cabaal, nobody is saying that there are not other rip offs out there. My focus is simply on consumer protection, transparency and adequate information supply to help prevent data bill shock.
    Comreg are negligent in this respect also, they should require the notification text and regulate out of bundle charges to some reasonable multiple of the bundle charge.

Absolutely. Comreg are there to protect the consumer and should do more to prevent data bill shock. There needs to be more regulation around consumer notifications when out-of-bundle data charges get triggered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Well said Fungus. Good posts.

I can't believe that some people are falling on the O2 side here.

The fault for data bill shock is not entirely the consumers, mobile operators, like O2, should not engage in excessive profiteering from consumers who are unaware of out of bundle data usage.

The whole industry needs to do more to prevent data bill shock.

The small guy needs more protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 senorG

While it is the OPs own fault for going over the limit, the charge imposed is mean spirited and unfair.

If it helps, the same happened me and I got a 50% reduction on the overcharge via o2s online chat facility on their website (you might have to threaten to cancel).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭lau1247

Szero wrote: »
    I can't believe that some people are falling on the O2 side here.

I can't believe some people are so naive and intend to blame others whilst clearly know that it is in the wrong

The fault for data bill shock is not entirely the consumers, mobile operators, like O2, should not engage in excessive profiteering from consumers who are unaware of out of bundle data usage.

The fault is entirely the consumers in this scenario, O2 set the terms which OP agreed to. Even OP said he/she knew that it went over, surely the responsibility lies with the OP to either stop using it or at least find out how much it cost before proceeding to use more (Then this would have never happened).

They are a company, at the end of the day they are here to provide a service and they intend to make a profit for the service. If they are not aiming for profit then no one would bother provide the service at all?? People need to get some common sense and grow up.

The whole industry needs to do more to prevent data bill shock. The small guy needs more protection.

I actually agree with you on this part, it is a nice tool to have but unfortunately it is not one that serves in the best of interest from the telecom company point of view so I doubt they will do anything about it until they are forced to.

There are a lot of software out there that allows tracking of data usage so there really is no reason for anyone to overuse unintentionally.

You can argue left, right and centre but at the end of day ultimate responsibility lies with the user.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 41 senorG

lau1247 wrote: »
    I can't believe some people are so naive and intend to blame others whilst clearly know that it is in the wrong

The fault is entirely the consumers in this scenario, O2 set the terms which OP agreed to. Even OP said he/she knew that it went over, surely the responsibility lies with the OP to either stop using it or at least find out how much it cost before proceeding to use more (Then this would have never happened).

They are a company, at the end of the day they are here to provide a service and they intend to make a profit for the service. If they are not aiming for profit then no one would bother provide the service at all?? People need to get some common sense and grow up.

I actually agree with you on this part, it is a nice tool to have but unfortunately it is not one that serves in the best of interest from the telecom company point of view so I doubt they will do anything about it until they are forced to.

There are a lot of software out there that allows tracking of data usage so there really is no reason for anyone to overuse unintentionally.

You can argue left, right and centre but at the end of day ultimate responsibility lies with the user.

The fault is the consumers - no argument.

The rip off is O2 charging an outrageous price for the extra data. This forum is about 'rip-offs' and this certainly is.
    Whatever about the OP the fact is that a large portion of their customers wouldn't know a MB from a GB (thinking of my parents for example) ... they would have no idea where to look for data tracking software or how to use it. Just because the cost is written in the small print of a contract doesn't make it fair. O2 know people are going to make honest mistakes and are ripping them off for it. 15gb cost €20 the next 4gb cost €100! Plain indefensible.

The glee some people here seem to have in slapping down the OP amazes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

senorG wrote: »
    The fault is the consumers - no argument.

The rip off is O2 charging an outrageous price for the extra data.

exactly..100 quid for 4GB is a rip-off

and this is the rip-off forum

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Comreg should act on this ripoff - gross overcharging. At the least a warning text should be received. I had a new phone and inadvertently went into voicemail for a few seconds and due to that I had exceeded my plan and had to put another e20 on for fe?k all - i only wanted to have text which in my plan was costing e5 but it ended up costing me e20 - a total ripoff Also you should be able to turn voicemail off without going through the service provider.

Advertisement