Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinning- What should I look for from a chainsaw operator?

• 20-12-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭

I have about a hectare of mixed woodland that needs a 1st thinning. I will need to hire in a qualified person with the necessary equipment to cut down and prepare the timber for firewood for personal use.

I have the felling license.

What documentation should I request to ensure that the person is properly qualified and insured etc?

Also, is there a rule of thumb as to how I should pay him/her? Is it by the day, or the tree or what?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I have about a hectare of mixed woodland that needs a 1st thinning. I will need to hire in a qualified person with the necessary equipment to cut down and prepare the timber for firewood for personal use.

I have the felling license.

What documentation should I request to ensure that the person is properly qualified and insured etc?

Also, is there a rule of thumb as to how I should pay him/her? Is it by the day, or the tree or what?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I just had 9 acres thinned by saw. 18yr old spruce.
    Tidy job, could recommend in a heart beat. Did the other 5 acres myself.
    They are kilkenny based so not sure where you are.
    They charge per acre to thin, haul; stack.

If only an acre or so and you can handle your saw and have gear it's not that hard.
    PM if you want their details

on checks I asked to see insurance and details of employee certifcation for chainsaw use.

maybe do a simple one page contract in which they indemnify you for all risks arising out of their operations on site yada yada....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Check for there chainsaw cert up to cs 31 for thinning and Cs 32 for clear felling

And ask for proof of insurance should be a cert as well

The rates I'm not sure of but its usually by hectare or by metres cubed of timber

Do you have the stand marked out as to what stems/hectare you are taking out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

fergus1001 wrote: »

The rates I'm not sure of but its usually by hectare or by metres cubed of timber

Do you have the stand marked out as to what stems/hectare you are taking out ?

No I have nothing marked out, as the acreage is small. It might seem naive, but I would like to develop a relationship with an appropriate individual so that such questions can be asked & answered intelligently between us in a trustworthy fashion.

Otherwise I have to live on site with a weighing scales and frankly I have no interest in doing that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    No I have nothing marked out, as the acreage is small. It might seem naive, but I would like to develop a relationship with an appropriate individual so that such questions can be asked & answered intelligently between us in a trustworthy fashion.

Otherwise I have to live on site with a weighing scales and frankly I have no interest in doing that...

The marking out has nothing to do with how much the operator well not much its more of a guide so that you thin it to the correct stocking so that you get the maximum benefits of thinning

If you need help in this regard pm me I'm based in the midlands but regardless if you give me the average height of the trees ill steer you in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Fergus- PM sent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement