Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cohabitation property in partners name but I have paid deposit and restored house

Options
  • 20-12-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello I need some serious help , I have been living with my soon to be ex partner for over seven years engaged etc its a gay relationship , we lived in his previous house his mother gave him the money to buy another house a year ago , I have paid the deposit on the house , I have done most of the renovation works to the house plaster painting plumbing decorating and furnishing , I have spent about 30k to date on the house from my own monies , He left the house for several months to persue somebody returned for a month and assaulted me and then left again , sending me a solicitors letter asking me to vacate the house as i finally fought back . giving me three weeks notice and has now extended it to jan 2014 . financially and for a home I rely on him , I was doing this large house up under the guise it was going to be my home and agreed to him seeing other people etc . now who ever the newbe is wants me out , all my legal paper work and reciepts regarding the house have been removed trying to source them again and have many of them , I also renovated the previous home . Do I have any legal stance its killiing me as I have invested every penny I own . does anybody have any suggestions as I really need them i dont even have the price for a deposit on a rental house .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Get a lawyer. Now.

You have a very arguable claim, either for an interest (i.e. part-ownership) in the house on the basis of you financial contributions, or for a division of assets on the basis of you having been cohabitants. But as to what this claim is actually worth, that requires a very full examination af all the facts, dates, amounts, etc. You won't get that done on an internet discussion board. You need legal advice personalised to your situation.

In the meantime, don't move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Really no better advice than given above. This is a complicated area of law. Popular fiction would have you out in the street, but in real life there is a whole area of law that prevents people from exploiting paper ownership. Speak to a solicitor, if you can't afford one then you can start off with FLAC (www.flac.ie) but at some point you are going to have to engage a solicitor yourself, FLAC might point you in the direction of someone that will defer fees etc. but you can do this yourself by ringing round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

You may have protections under http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0024/ but you need legal advice, as this matter is in my opinion a family law matter, if you can not afford legal advice you may be entitled to Family Law Legal Aid, http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/Publishing.nsf/Content/Law_Centres be aware of long waiting times.

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/650f3eec0dfb990fca25692100069854/4a26aacd8ac66f028025799d004e6a86/$FILE/Leaflet%20no.16.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9 daphnie22

thanks guys for your help , looking into the family law side of things now

Advertisement