Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80's anyone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

For the season that's in it then..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lillycool

One of my favourite Christmas song ever.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcgz08EVKzI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Does anyone else think that the 80's was the best decade for underground music? There was so much stuff going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Does anyone else think that the 80's was the best decade for underground music? There was so much stuff going on.

When you say underground, do you mean unsigned, original, last days of "pub rock" all genres scene? If that is what you mean, then yes. I'm hoping that scene might come back. But I've been waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

to start off this thread you need this....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Kettleson wrote: »
    When you say underground, do you mean unsigned, original, last days of "pub rock" all genres scene? If that is what you mean, then yes. I'm hoping that scene might come back. But I've been waiting a while.
    I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here.

What I meant was that there was stuff happening like the emergence of rave culture in the latter half the 80's, which would then explode at the start of the 90's. You had some amazing independent and alternative rock bands that really broke down genre barriers, such as Swans. Extreme metal was starting to take shape and you had the emergence of death metal, black metal and grindcore. Punk rock got more aggressive and morphed into hardcore.

There was a lot of cool music bubbling under the mainstream in the 90's and 00's too but the 80's just edges it for me. I also think the 80's was a cool decade for pop music too with bands like The Cure and Tears for Fears.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here.

What I meant was that there was stuff happening like the emergence of rave culture in the latter half the 80's, which would then explode at the start of the 90's. You had some amazing independent and alternative rock bands that really broke down genre barriers, such as Swans. Extreme metal was starting to take shape and you had the emergence of death metal, black metal and grindcore. Punk rock got more aggressive and morphed into hardcore.

There was a lot of cool music bubbling under the mainstream in the 90's and 00's too but the 80's just edges it for me. I also think the 80's was a cool decade for pop music too with bands like The Cure and Tears for Fears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub_rock_(United_Kingdom)

example of: Stranglers at the Hope and Anchor.

Interesting your comments about punk morphing into hardcore. For me the live music scene changed totally from the mid 80's onwards when major labels started cottoning on to mass sales. And from what I seen, it was the metal and hard core bands that kept gigging live in small pub venues after that time. Very rare nowadays to walk onto a pub and get anything other than cover bands.

I might start a pub rock thread.

http://youtu.be/CBKb0iZSTfo

I was going to say "'Now then, now then, Ows about that one guys and gals", but I better not.

Swans Ways' first appearance on TOTP and probably their last. A tasty number nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Rap and Hip Hop was forming in the 80's. I find it interesting how House and Hip Hop were once bedfellows in the short lived but influential genre called Hip House before they both went very separate ways. I reckon it was largely down to the fact they were both products of urban youth with access to the same, at the time limited number of, beat making hardware.
    Well anyway, perhaps not exactly what people think when they think 80s music but here is an 80's Rap mix:
    http://www.mixcloud.com/iamstop/passion-of-the-crates-80s-rap-15-dec-2013/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

@kettleson, Yeah I know what you mean. I usually put The Crown in the funk/boogie category but I guess it woulda worked with the first few tunes.
    As for the other two, I was deliberately steering away from the more know track like those, Planet Rock, White Lines, Apache (Sugar Hill Gang also). That 'It Takes Two Track' actually wasn't part of the plan, lol. It snook in on the sly. I tried it out when I was planning the mix but decided against it and thought I put it to one side. Turns out I left it in the stack for the mix.
    Come time to record the mix and it's on the platter and ready to go before I realized it wasn't supposed to be there so I just said 'feck it' and let it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Yeah. I think there was a great sense of freedom that wasn't previously there on that scale. A lot of the early punk bands were pretty limited.

Double Nickels on the Dime would have been a great record to hear as a teenager then. 3 white “Punks” playing with a funk-influenced style covering Van Halen and B.O.C, at the same time there’s a track that – to me - sounds like the Magic Band, and a Spanish Guitar interlude.

I love that they wrote “Take that, Huskers!” on the liner notes as a nod to Zen Arcade… illustrates a sense of camaraderie that has been lost a little in music today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Advertisement