Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

state pension query

Options
  • 20-12-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone could help as pensions are not my forte...

My dad turned 65 in October 2013. He hopes to continue working for another while, hopefully until October 2014 all going well. This may longer than his 66th birthday but will depend on his health as his job is quite physical. He is aware that there is a change coming from the 1st of Jan 2014 with respect to the payment of pensions. Should he be applying for anything in advance in case he needs to retire before turning 66?

Is he entitled to claim for the state pension for the next yr while is working? which i would presume would be taxed during this time, if he was entitled.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

He is entitled to his state pension even if he continues working. It is taxable income. Easiest thing is to inform Revenue who can adjust his tax credits to exactly match his pension so he will not have to file a tax return. Once he turns 66 he should infirm his employer as he is no longer liable to PRSI from that date! His employer also pays much reduced PRSI from that date so also in their interests.

Advertisement