Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidently deleted my Wordpress site on Register365 host...

• 21-12-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I did my annual stupid thing :pac:

I'm with Register365, on AdvancedHost

Earlier in the week, was messing about with Wordpress installs.

Finally settled on a Wordpress install, all good, had website up for the past week.

Earlier today was in space-out mode, was logged into my Register365 control panel, and noticed that eventhough I manually deleted redundant MySQL databases of the previous Wordpress installs, they still appeared in the "1 Click" install section, so decided to tidy it up.

I stupidly un-installed a Wordpress install which was curing the path of my current website (but a different database name)

So, the MySQL DB is still there, but it deleted all the web data/files (ie. there's nothing when I log into FTP now).

I logged a ticket with Register365, but am I right in saying that my work is gone?

I managed to get some of the text back from Google Cache (but tbh it was the child themes etc. that took the real time, not the bits of text).

And yes, next time i'll back up. I WAS going in to back up the website, hence clear up the redundant stuff, but managed to delete an active folder :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

JohnCleary wrote: »
    So, the MySQL DB is still there, but it deleted all the web data/files (ie. there's nothing when I log into FTP now).
    How did you make the changes to the child theme? Did you use the Control Panel File Manager or FTP the files from your local machine.

Long shot: If you used FTP you should have the files locally (but I expect that you know this; I ask because it wasn't mentioned in your post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

daymobrew wrote: »
    How did you make the changes to the child theme? Did you use the Control Panel File Manager or FTP the files from your local machine.

Long shot: If you used FTP you should have the files locally (but I expect that you know this; I ask because it wasn't mentioned in your post).

Copied the parent theme css files and worked remotely :(

I know the exact time the files got deleted, and for over a week prior to that there was no modifications made to the site, so *maybe, just maybe* Register365 have a backup. (I have logged a ticket)

I'm staying optimistic, I refuse to let this turn me into a bah humbug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Again, one for next time, but get yourself set up with version control somewhere — either on your own computer, or hosted like Bitbucket if you want the work to be private. It means that as well as taking back-ups, you can rebuild from scratch if needed.

For now, I'd say try to get in touch with R365 asap — you don't know how long they keep server backups for, so they might be able to restore it today, but if you don't hear from them til a week's time, it might be too late. Actively chase that ticket if they're being slow.

Advertisement