Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving a dog away

• 21-12-2013 12:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

I love my dog but his behaviour has become too much lately , not only has he begun pooping and peeing in the house , something he didn't do for the first six months I owned him , he has become increasingly aggressive towards guests , I should mention all changed when I got him neutered , worst thing I ever did , I know someone who breeds irish wolf hounds and they say they would never neuter a dog as it screws with their hormones , my property is enclosed so the dog was never able to wander , the vets promote it unconditionally as its handy money for them

I had my girlfriend in the house the other day and he butted her chair so hard , she spilled some of her tea on her clothes , ive restricted his movement around the house but he just barks like mad when I lock him in the utility room

my question is this , if I find a new home for him , will it be traumatising for him or is that just sentimental tosh , if the new owners fed him and treated him well , would he be right as rain and happy almost immedietly

he,s an English bulldog , a great charechter when good but he is causing me trouble

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you had the dog checked out by a vet to see if there's something wrong with him?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've not come across a single episode of a male dog becoming more aggressive after straightforward neutering: I think it's all too easy for confirmation bias to happen. Dog is a silly, floppy, eejity pup, owner gets dog neutered at just the time the pup is also turning into a rebellious, challenging teenager, and the neutering is blamed for it. I can pretty much guarantee that your dog would be doing exactly the same stuff if his testicles were still in situ.
    Anyway, this dog sounds like he needs some boundaries set for him, with appropriate techniques used to stop him from misbehaving. You'd achieve a huge amount in the space of one visit from a good behaviourist or trainer OP... are you up for doing this?
    Suddenly starting to toilet inappropriately when he didn't before is indicative of the dog either having an underlying medical issue, or he is unduly stressed about something that's happening in his life.. perhaps being left alone, or being scolded for stuff he doesn't know why he's being scolded for, makes him anxious enough to lose control of his bladder and/or bowel.
    Rehoming him is an option, but it's not easy nor ethical to pass your problem on to someone else, when there's a good chance you could sort these problems out. Why not deal with it yourself, with help from someone who knows how to help you?
    If you do decide to go down this route, be very careful, there are a lot of cowboys calling themselves trainers and behaviourists. If you let us know where you are, perhaps someone can recommend someone who's qualified in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I neutered mine made no change to them both were still boisterous but I'd agree with vet always better to neuter.You say he's a British bulldog he must have butted the chair really hard to spill tea from her hand, did he do it aggressively or juts clumsiness .Going to the toilet in the house suddenly when he used not before I'd be very worried about that try and get him to a vet ASAP.

I think you are giving up on him very easily just give time and patience and get control of him.

Sounds like very small problem tbh but definitely get him to a vet.

Beautiful dog I always wanted one but too expensive for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 sport_nut

andreac wrote: »
    Have you had the dog checked out by a vet to see if there's something wrong with him?

yes , I even changed his food as he was eating grass like crazy for a while , his stomach is sensitive but he,s on a food now which is for dogs with sensitive stomachs , he has stopped eating grass

I got him when he was old ( relatively speaking ) , got him off a foreign family who were returning to their own country , they clearly had no house rules whatsoever but he was house trained and does the whole kicking his feet back when he poops , like I said he only began going to the toilet in the house after I got him neutered , he was two months shy of seven when I got him castrated so this probably added to the problem , apparently it does nothing bar reduce the chances of testicular cancer and you need to do it under a year if you want to change their personality , this guy is not remotely changed in terms of aggression

he also snaps a little if I try and move him from my living room chair to his own , we sit together in the living room but hes up on my chair every chance he gets , I love him dearly ( I love dogs ) but hes making me unpopular with other people and stinking up the house , left an ugly stain on the living room carpet the other day , up to now he would only poop in the kitchen , I have the backdoor open all the time so its not like he cant head out

DBB wrote: »
    I've not come across a single episode of a male dog becoming more aggressive after straightforward neutering: I think it's all too easy for confirmation bias to happen. Dog is a silly, floppy, eejity pup, owner gets dog neutered at just the time the pup is also turning into a rebellious, challenging teenager, and the neutering is blamed for it. I can pretty much guarantee that your dog would be doing exactly the same stuff if his testicles were still in situ.
    Anyway, this dog sounds like he needs some boundaries set for him, with appropriate techniques used to stop him from misbehaving. You'd achieve a huge amount in the space of one visit from a good behaviourist or trainer OP... are you up for doing this?
    Suddenly starting to toilet inappropriately when he didn't before is indicative of the dog either having an underlying medical issue, or he is unduly stressed about something that's happening in his life.. perhaps being left alone, or being scolded for stuff he doesn't know why he's being scolded for, makes him anxious enough to lose control of his bladder and/or bowel.
    Rehoming him is an option, but it's not easy nor ethical to pass your problem on to someone else, when there's a good chance you could sort these problems out. Why not deal with it yourself, with help from someone who knows how to help you?
    If you do decide to go down this route, be very careful, there are a lot of cowboys calling themselves trainers and behaviourists. If you let us know where you are, perhaps someone can recommend someone who's qualified in the area.

of course he,s " stressed " , he had his nuts removed , neutering leads to emotional trauma

• Advertisement

How old is he and how long do you have him?

sport_nut wrote: »
    of course he,s " stressed " , he had his nuts removed , neutering leads to emotional trauma

Sorry, but no it doesn't lead to emotional trauma. Who told you this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Honestly the only thing he feels after being neutered is less attracted to the ladies. If he started toileting indoors after being neutered I'd get a vet to check him over, bring a urine sample if you can.

Otherwise get a qualified behaviourist in. The reason for the change in behaviour is likely something easily solved.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, but no it doesn't lead to emotional trauma. Who told you this?

well if this is indeed true , im very relieved to hear it

kylith wrote: »
    Honestly the only thing he feels after being neutered is less attracted to the ladies. If he started toileting indoors after being neutered I'd get a vet to check him over, bring a urine sample if you can.

Otherwise get a qualified behaviourist in. The reason for the change in behaviour is likely something easily solved.

behavioural therapists are 100 euro per session , I don't have the money to spend a grand or even half that on several sessions

im thinking of buying a good kennel and keeping him outside nearly all the time , bulldogs are house dogs but im sure he would survive

we,d still see each other for walks etc

• Advertisement

Deleted: a detailed and genuine response to the OP's concerns. But am not prepared to waste my time nor effort if all the OP can respond with is facile crapology.
    Good luck OP.

Ah, okay, If this is the best you can do in response to a genuine attempt to help you, I'm out.
    Good luck to you.

Thread closed. Research shows that OP is trolling.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement