Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rottweiler breeders

• 21-12-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

could anyone recommend a rottweiler
    breeder ?
    who might shortly have pups for sale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

A Christmas puppy? I don't advise buying a puppy at Christmas for many reasons, including likely being bought from a puppy farm and a Christmas puppy normally gets discarded once the novelty has worn off.

Please read through the forum for information regarding buying a pup, especially at Christmas. Read this recent thread for the most relevant information: Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Check with andreac. I believe she breeds and shows Rotties. And I agree with the above poster. No reputable breeder would even think about selling you a puppy for Christmas. And in any case, most will have waiting lists for prospective owners and will be checking you and your living circumstances VERY carefully.

Do your research, get to know decent breeders, and above all - ensure the breeder hip-scores the parents and carries out the necessary health checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

sorry guys i've had rotties before
    my own died a couple weeks ago
    the breeder i got her from has emigrated
    and he was registered with the rottweiler
    club of ireland
    so i'm not a complete novice

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Skulduggery

badshot wrote: »
    club of ireland

Hi badshot. The assumptions made above about you and your knowledge about dogs beggars belief. The tone of both were IMO condescending and it appears now greatly misplaced. I'm all for the good fight when it comes to animals but boys you might want to stop jumping to conclusions about posters before you have more info.

Sorry to hear about your dog, I lost one of my Danes a couple of weeks ago. Let me know how you get on, I would also be interested in a Rottie. I have a half breed at the moment(amongst other dogs) but would also like to get a full breed(not as a Christmas present). I'll keep an eye out too, I'm in the Kildare area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Hi badshot. The assumptions made above about you and your knowledge about dogs beggars belief. The tone of both were IMO condescending and it appears now greatly misplaced. I'm all for the good fight when it comes to animals but boys you might want to stop jumping to conclusions about posters before you have more info.

Sorry to hear about your dog, I lost one of my Danes a couple of weeks ago. Let me know how you get on, I would also be interested in a Rottie. I have a half breed at the moment(amongst other dogs) but would also like to get a full breed(not as a Christmas present). I'll keep an eye out too, I'm in the Kildare area.

Frankly, I don't care what you think. Had you bothered to read my post, I suggested the name of someone who might be able to help, did I not? The OP wasn't clear, and gave no indication that he was accustomed to the breed. I gave advice based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If you've problems with the posts why don't you report them?

Posters can only go on the limited information given and 'pups wanted shortly' the week before Christmas rings alarm bells to the experienced posters on this forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Please refrain from such back-seat moderation, and report posts you have a problem with rather than taking matters into your own hands, as per the forum charter.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Skulduggery

If you've problems with the posts why don't you report them?

Posters can only go on the limited information given and 'pups wanted shortly' the week before Christmas rings alarm bells to the experienced posters on this forum.

I suppose my point is, it doesn't take a lot to ask some questions first about the OPs experience with dogs/cats whatever, before making comments.

BTW I'd rather be experienced with dogs than be an "experienced poster", whatever that means. Also, if the OP was looking for a full breed Rottie for Christmas, they were hardly going to put a post up on Boards on the 21st December?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I suppose my point is, it doesn't take a lot to ask some questions first about the OPs experience with dogs/cats whatever, before making comments.

BTW I'd rather be experienced with dogs than be an "experienced poster", whatever that means. Also, if the OP was looking for a full breed Rottie for Christmas, they were hardly going to put a post up on Boards on the 21st December?

By 'experienced posters' I mean posters who have vast experience with pets, be they dogs, cats, birds, rodents etc.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for somebody to look for a puppy on the 21st of December. Most people fall into one of two categories

1/ They get a puppy on a whim, without any forethought or research
    or
    2/ They do a lot of research and put a lot of thought into the purchase of a new family member, this can take anything from 6 months to a couple of years.

Again - the poster has to volunteer information, and looking for puppies 'shortly' the week before Christmas, however it was worded, would ring alarm bells with experienced owners/posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

By 'experienced posters' I mean posters who have vast experience with pets, be they dogs, cats, birds, rodents etc.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for somebody to look for a puppy on the 21st of December. Most people fall into one of two categories

1/ They get a puppy on a whim, without any forethought or research
    or
    2/ They do a lot of research and put a lot of thought into the purchase of a new family member, this can take anything from 6 months to a couple of years.

Again - the poster has to volunteer information, and looking for puppies 'shortly' the week before Christmas, however it was worded, would ring alarm bells with experienced owners/posters

In fairness, I think he has a point. Why not ask the questions first and gain the information rather than jumping to conclusions and making assumptions?

The OP said nothing about wanting the puppy for Christmas. He said "shortly", not immediately, ASAP or any term pointing towards the next 72 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay all,
    This is going way off topic. I do not want to see any more discussion about who made what assumptions, that's for another thread, or for PMing the mods on.
    No more discussion of anything other than what the OP was looking for from now on, please.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

badshot wrote: »
    club of ireland

Did you try the breed club? When I was getting my (retriever) pup I called the breed club and they gave me details for breeders based on my location / when the pups would be ready.

Advertisement