Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X10 Not Working. Ideas?

Options
  • 21-12-2013 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I recently got a siemens spc alarm installed, which is working just fine and I'm happy with so far.

However, I also got some x10 devices, which are not working so great. I got 2 double dimmer switches, which can't be installed, because the switches are in solid wall and are too big. There are only 2 double switches in the house, so nowhere else to put the dimmers.

I got a switch for the central heating and also a CM12 control module, which is hooked up to the alarm panel and set up as an output on the spc anywhere app and also can be controlled on the siemens keypad. Problem is that it simply doesn't work. The installer showed it working on the panel and when I tried later using the app, it didn't do anything. The panel also didn't do anything when I tried and I tried every which way possible. It worked the next morning with the app, but hasn't worked since and that was 2 days ago. I would like to use X10 for a few things, mainly for security, but don't want to be throwing money away either.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I better to connect the control module to the computer and work it from there, as a separate system to the alarm? The control unit is designed for the computer, but it clearly can work with the alarm, but simply doesn't do it for me. I'm not having any luck with it at all :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Maybe a brief explanation of how X10 works...
    It basically sends out signals over the mains cabling. This message is sent blindly and the device has no way of knowing if the message was received or not.
    Like sending a text years ago before we had delivery reports.
    If the device with the address the signal was sent to is connected and receives the signal it switches accordingly .
    There are some devices that cause interference on the mains and reduce or block these signals getting through.
    Sometimes it can be a matter of switching off and unplugging devices and test the units again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I came across a forum where a guys DeWalt drill was interfering with the signal, so he could not remotely open his garage door with X10.

I've switched to horizon and i am now trying to figure out how to configure the ip address on the router. This stuff is not really my comfort zone. I've managed to get everything connected again, with the exception of the alarm, so it won't dial out, or connect wirelessly. I'll do a bit more digging regarding how to change/forward ip, but I don't know why the alarm won't dial out, as it is connected directly to the horizon box.

I'm dreading connecting the tv, because I have read on here that LG smart tv's and horizon don't really go hand in hand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With the phone line are you definitely using port 1 only? Is the phone and the digi both connected to this port?

For the IP connection to the alarm how far have you got and what setting have you done.?
    With the TV etc hard wired into the horizon box you shouldn't have any problems with the IP connection there.

KoolKid wrote: »
    With the phone line are you definitely using port 1 only? Is the phone and the digi both connected to this port?

For the IP connection to the alarm how far have you got and what setting have you done.?
    With the TV etc hard wired into the horizon box you shouldn't have any problems with the IP connection there.

The tel 1 port is being used by both the telephone and the alarm cable, using a digi splitter, so no change there. The phone is working properly.

I have got nowhere with the ip stuff.

I plan to hardwire the tv to the box, so that's ok. But there is a thread here about horizon and LG smart TVs not being compatible :eek:
    I hope this is not a problem with my tv.

My pc is only picking up 40meg out of 200meg wirelessly, so I will have to hardwire that again I think to get the full speed.

On the phone connections double check the plugs are tight. That should be very straightforward with no settings to change.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    On the phone connections double check the plugs are tight. That should be very straightforward with no settings to change.

I will check that in the morning. Dying sick all day. I did cut the wire to shorten it, but i made sure i got a good reconnection. I have done this before with phone cable without problems. I will check this again though.

still nothing happening. Alarm wont dial out, but at least I have an alarm, which I didn't before last week. I will wait until January for the installer to call out and sort it. I will be ordering an x10 Din Rail for the hall lights and a couple of plug in appliance modules. I hope it all gets sorted early in the new year.

I also have the problem where the UPC horizon does not work with my LG smart tv. I am waiting for the firmware update from them.

One of the kids set the alarm off Christmas morning and it dialled the preset numbers :confused:

It wasn't working and suddenly it was? Anyway, hope that's just sorted itself for good.

The X10 supplier won't ship my order until the new year. I kept the order small and simple and I am hoping it all works when the installation is complete.

Advertisement