Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Advanced unlimited speed

Options
  • 21-12-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Just came back from abroad to the parents' house for xmas and had a look at their bimestral Eircom bill: "Broadband Advanced Unlimited - 49.58" and the connection speed on the router is 6144/512 (kbps)

When I look on Eircom's website is seems the connection speed for this package should be "up to 24Mbps".

Any ideas why are we connected at 6Mbps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Two reasons:

1) It's a long line. DSL is (unfortunately) degraded rapidly as you get further away from the node in the exchange.

2) You could be on an 8Mbit/s port on an older DSLAM in the exchange. Check that out with eircom. Could you get the router stats and see if it's quoting ADSL2+ (G.992.5) or just bog standard ADSL ?

I've also seen a couple of cases where the ISP upgraded the service to ADSL2+ and the end user still had an ADSL-only modem. Possible if it's an old modem and they didn't check.

If they're in an e-fibre enabled area, I would strongly suggest ditching the ADSL2+ service and going for FTTC from any one of the ISPs.
    If UPC cable's available, that's an even better option from a speed point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Thanks for that. Here's a grab of the router config

X811YIq.gif

Do you know if it supports ADSL2? We're about 1KM from the exchange and Eircom Fibre won't be avail until next year. I've tried getting the aulfella to change to UPC but "I don't want me eggs in one basket" :rolleyes:. I'm trying to get the most out of the Eircom package he already has.

Thanks again.

DMT would indicate it's ADSL classic.

You need either a new modem (if its an old modem that doesn't support ADSL2+) or if you're on an old DSLAM port in the exchange ask eircom to move you to an ADSL2+ port.

Your modem is from 2005... Might be time for a replacement!!

If UPC is available you're mad to be stuck on ADSL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Your modem is from 2005... Might be time for a replacement!!

Is that not the expiry date, e.g. its from 2004?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Yeah, it's a warranty date, so it's older than that.

Your line attenuation determines the speed of your line. Put your downstream attenuation into this calculator to see what kind of speed you can get if you can upgrade to ADSL2+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

OK, so the router is the problem. Seems Eircom Fibre will be available here in January and they will install a new router for us.

Does anyone know if the Fibre router Eircom supply is a bag of sh!te? I'd like to be able to VPN into it from abroad and access RTE, BBC, etc.

The modem they supply for FTTC (efibre) is fine. You can always use your own router plugged into it if you're in need of kind flexibility.

Also multiple companies can provide you with their equivalents : Vodafone, eircom, digiweb and UTV internet all do it.

Each company supplies different equipment but they're all compliant with eircom wholesale's very specific spec. They're planning to roll out vectoring, a noise cancellation technology that allows higher speeds. So don't bother buying a modem.

If you've only to wait to Jan, maybe see if any of your friends or family has an old ADSL2+, modem that they don't need if they've upgraded to efibre or cable.

Plug that in (configure it if it's not eircom) and you'll get faster service on your current line.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The modem they supply for FTTC (efibre) is fine. You can always use your own router plugged into it if you're in need of kind flexibility.

Also multiple companies can provide you with their equivalents : Vodafone, eircom, digiweb and UTV internet all do it.

Each company supplies different equipment but they're all compliant with eircom wholesale's very specific spec. They're planning to roll out vectoring, a noise cancellation technology that allows higher speeds. So don't bother buying a modem.

If you've only to wait to Jan, maybe see if any of your friends or family has an old ADSL2+, modem that they don't need if they've upgraded to efibre or cable.

Plug that in (configure it if it's not eircom) and you'll get faster service on your current line.

Not necessarily. His package is a legacy one, Part of the 1/3/7 instead of NGBs 8/12/24. So if he hasnt been swapped to 8Mb still it may be a legacy exchange where "Broadband Advanced" is the best package. Sales should be able to tell him.

Can't really answer that without knowing which exchange it is.

At this stage selling those 1, 3 and 7 Mbit/s packages should be embarrassing ! It's no wonder they don't mention them on the website.

I got 12mbit/s on a 3G USB dongle yesterday. 1 Mbit over a wired connection is a joke.

Advertisement