Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live? Best Schools?

Options
  • 21-12-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello Everyone

I know this is a big question and has many factors to account for, but I'm wondering if a few of you can give me some names of the top schools both inside and outside of Dublin City Centre?

Our family is exploring moving to the Dublin area for my husband's work. He'll be in the city centre, but willing to commute by train or DART. We will find a rental house for a year or so based on where our children will attend school.... as I'll be staying home with them, I would like to be fairly close.

So about us. Almost 4 year old and almost 6 year old - currently living in the UK so both are in school. Our little one is in Nursery 3 hours a day for 5 days. Son is in year 1 and already far ahead of his peers. I'm American and hubby is Dutch, so EU and EEA Family - not that it matters. I did read on another post someone said Skerrie has a lot of "foreigners" ... what does that mean?

Our children are not Catholic either so I'm not sure if that will pose a problem for admission to some schools. We're okay with them attending a parochial school, if that is our only choice and it's a good school.

When doing some searching, I've found the areas of Malahide, Skerrie and Dalkey pretty attractive, though I am only going off photos online. We would like to be close to the seaside and ideally within a village so we can walk to various amenities. But if there is a city centre location which is highly recommended, I'd like to hear about it. Someone suggested Ballsbridge or Chapelizod??

We're planning to come to Dublin for a long weekend to look around and see what areas are like.

Anyway, any tips, suggestions, ideas, etc. are all welcome.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Hepsie wrote: »
    Hello Everyone

I know this is a big question and has many factors to account for, but I'm wondering if a few of you can give me some names of the top schools both inside and outside of Dublin City Centre?

Our family is exploring moving to the Dublin area for my husband's work. He'll be in the city centre, but willing to commute by train or DART. We will find a rental house for a year or so based on where our children will attend school.... as I'll be staying home with them, I would like to be fairly close.

So about us. Almost 4 year old and almost 6 year old - currently living in the UK so both are in school. Our little one is in Nursery 3 hours a day for 5 days. Son is in year 1 and already far ahead of his peers. I'm American and hubby is Dutch, so EU and EEA Family - not that it matters. I did read on another post someone said Skerrie has a lot of "foreigners" ... what does that mean?

Our children are not Catholic either so I'm not sure if that will pose a problem for admission to some schools. We're okay with them attending a parochial school, if that is our only choice and it's a good school.

When doing some searching, I've found the areas of Malahide, Skerrie and Dalkey pretty attractive, though I am only going off photos online. We would like to be close to the seaside and ideally within a village so we can walk to various amenities. But if there is a city centre location which is highly recommended, I'd like to hear about it. Someone suggested Ballsbridge or Chapelizod??

We're planning to come to Dublin for a long weekend to look around and see what areas are like.

Dublin 14 , 16 and 18 would be very suitable (minus the seafront but thats just a bus or dart away) town is a luas ride away. The mountains are 5 mins away. You have marley park, dundrum town centre and loads of great schools. Dalkey would be very expensive imo

Malahide is over rated imo and overpriced. Take the family there for the day no bother but thats it. Skerries is farther away then you need be imo plus you have all the day trippers etc all through the summer and the road racing

South side all the way for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Dublin 4 and 6*, are leafy suburbs with good choice of RC, COI, and multi-d primary schools. Look up 'educate together schools' if religion is a problem, they are all multi-denominational. The multi-d's tend to have a more international population.
    These areas are near to the city centre with good transport links and lots of parks.

You'll probably want to stay away from deprived areas, although Dublin being small most areas are quite mixed near the centre anyway.

I've nothing against the northside, I've just never lived there so can't give an opinion. For preference, I'd go for Sandymount, Ballsbridge, Rathmines, Rathgar, Ranelagh, Harolds Cross kind of areas and the R's for preference :D

*Even numbered postcodes are on the southside, odd numbers on the northside. The lower the number, the nearer the city centre generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Skerries is a wonderful place to live, especially if you have kids. Malahide is very nice also. Check out the Dublin County North forum for more info on these towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You would really need to start applying for schools now if you're planning on having the kids in school for next September.

A lot of schools in certain areas are booked out years in advance. Dalkey, where I live is apparently very difficult to get your kids into any of the local schools at short notice.

Clontarf would be a nice area on the Northside that is still close to the city centre and has the coast and a park in Raheny, not sure of schools though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Advertisement

They're all secondary schools though, not much use to OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

True but the can be contacted to see which schools they recommend for primary.

Yeah that's true but I didn't get the impression they were planning on a very long-term stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It's often easier to get kids into primary schools in any other year than Junior Infants, due to people moving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hepsie

Thanks for all the tips and info... it's helping us along to understand areas, school policies, etc. Looking forward to coming to Dublin to look around in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

As an earlier poster said, do take a close look at Educate Together schools ... they're simply marvellous; family members of mine have had just wonderful experiences with them, and there's a super one in Dalkey, which children from several surrounding towns attend.

The site homepage is at: http://www.educatetogether.ie/ ... for more detailed information about their Primary Schools, go to: http://www.educatetogether.ie/our-schools/primary

Very best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The very best school in Dublin is Sutton Park School

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

If you're looking for coastal I'd recommend Clontarf. It's beside the sea, has a large park, is close to town and is well served by public transport. In terms of schools it has Belgrove, St Brigids, and Green Lanes. Belgrove and St Brigids feed well into the two main private schools in Dublin city centre which is probably a good reflection on both schools. Green Lanes is a smaller multi-denominational school.

Malahide, D4 / D6 areas, Howth, Sutton, Dalkey, and Killiney are all very good alternatives. Malahide is the furthest of these areas from the city centre, something to take into account if your husband doesn't like commuting. Same goes for Howth.
    subpar wrote: »
    The very best school in Dublin is Sutton Park School

Entirely subjective. It's very expensive and its leaving certificate performance in terms of students going onto 3rd level education is poor in comparison to other private schools.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very few people have experience (as a parent or student) of more than one or two primary or secondary schools, so threads like this are of their nature subjective. By far the most important factor in a child's success will be the home support and parental attitude to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would look at Swords or Portmarnock as well OP. If I had the choice myself I would probably go with Clontarf.

I agree with the previous poster. We are very involved parents and I realize that we play a huge part in our children's success. Having never been to Dublin other than a visit pre-children, it's a new world. but thanks for suggestions and the internet, we've got a great understanding of the area. Looking forward to our visit this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Here are a few to add to previous lists:
    Northside:
    Clontarf
    Howth
    Sutton
    Portmarnock
    Malahide
    Griffith Avenue
    Glasnevin
    Castleknock

Southside:
    Ballsbridge
    Donnybrook
    Sandymount
    Ranelagh
    Rathgar
    Terenure
    Dartry/Milltown
    Blackrock
    Mount Merrion
    Booterstown
    Monkstown
    Goatstown/Churchtown/Dundrum
    Rathfarnham
    Cabinteely/Carrickmines
    Dalkey
    Glenageary
    Foxrock
    Killiney
    Rathmichael

Think that's most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Best bet would be Clontarf I'd say, close to the city as well as the whole coastal part you wanted.

Steer clear of the north and south inner city if you have kids, wouldn't be a great place to grow up unless you have family there.

Theres also Swords, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan in North County Dublin but as it was pointed out, it means commuting. However, all except Lusk have a beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Eh, Swords has a beach? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Haha forgot that was in there, everywhere except Swords and Lusk :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Hepsie wrote: »
    Hello Everyone

Most of the areas mentioned would be quite expensive for property to rent/buy so make sure they are within your budget first. Have a look at daft.ie or myhome.ie

I'm feeling totally discouraged and blah. I've emailed dozens of schools (loads of Educate Together) inquiring about spots for our children and have received so many emails back telling me that they're completely oversubscribed and that they wish me luck in finding a space for the children. One had a wait list of 165 children for Junior Infants.

I'm wondering what options are for children to attend school when they all say they are full?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 XMASSmrstobe

Hi Hepsie,

Have you tried contacting the department of education? A quick Google about schooling in Ireland will explain that the vast majority of primary schools here are catholic run, the educate together are considered to be a very popular alternative option, and one of the few choices that most people have if they wish to peruse non-denominational education. Subsequently their rarity - and great reputations - mean that they are some of the most popular schools in the county.

Have you tried looking up some private schooling options - expensive but may be optional for one year. There are also several schools in the wider Dublin area that offer Montessori based schooling, which may be suitable: http://www.montessorialliance.ie/parents/primary-montessori-schools/

Finally, you mentioned that your youngest is not yet 4. There has been a big push in Ireland not to have children starting primary school until they are 5, this is particularly evident in the suburbs of Dublin, and some schools will not accept children that are below a certain age.

Are you active on some of the mothers forums? eumom, rollarcoaster.ie etc. may have more practical advice.

Best of luck,

Advertisement