Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exams!!

• 21-12-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Im a first year with no clue what or how to study for these exams!!?! Especially for English...someone care to help?! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

I am in the same boat :( which poetry group you in? I am in B and haven't a clue where to even start studying for it, module was a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hi guys! I was in the exact same position as you last year, not a clue what to do for the EN152 module (which I never actually went to 1 class for, which may have added to the confusion). I was in the EN152A class (non-Irish poetry or something) and HADN'T A CLUE about anything on the course / materials etc.

I read up on 1 of the poets on the course (Langston Hughes) and the differences between two literary periods (we had covered so much of romanticism with that FECKIN DAFFODILS POEM IN EN150) the morning of the exam.

Managed to forget the first name of the poet, so couldn't even refer to him by name and managed a 62.

Read the lecture notes, do 1 / 2 readings if you have the time, keep a cool head and don't panic.

Honestly, all of my friends and I passed and we hadn't a clue. They don't tend to mark you very difficult in first year English (its only savior for me, because I absolutely detested it :rolleyes:)

If you need any other help / tips (although I can't really remember even doing English) feel free to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kragenmore

Managed to forget the first name of the poet, so couldn't even refer to him by name and managed a 62.

i was the same except i didn't realise i was wrong, kept referring to him as langdon hughes :o
    passed though! and that's without even knowing names of poems haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Does anyone know an alternative to Streamline Coaches for Saturdays? I'm on the Athboy-Maynooth route, and I have no other way of getting to Maynooth, and I'm REALLY worried. I've enough to worry about with exams, I don't f*cking need this bullsh*t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

^Would it be worth staying over on the Friday night? Whether with a friend, or there was that mail about cheap accommodation on campus. Might be good to have that late access to the library and not have to stress about transport before your exam? I think it said it was something like 24 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

The only other service I could find would be the Bus Eireann Athboy/Trim to the city centre then bus or train to maynooth. I'd second getting accommodation for the night if you're able.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Capt Picard

Hi Nuial,

I'm in my final year of my degree and the best advice I can give is keep it simple. My course assessment is largely comprised of essay writing in both continuous assessment and exams. As this is my 5th round of exams I think I have finally worked out a way that suits me best. People have different ways that works for them and this way suits me.

If my exam is one hour one question then I try to draw up the rough outline of an essay prior to the exam and to the best of my abilities I try to replicate it on the day. However, this is based on repetition of a given answer which should be only done if you are confident of the questions to come. If you are then you should try to remember it off by sections with prompt words and such. So that when it comes to the exam you are then focusing on specific prompt words that break up you essay. I'd normally go straight to the back page and write these out at the beginning of the exam along with other important things I want to remember to refer to and prompt me as I go through the essay. Very similar to a mind map.

If however your exam is say a two hour or more and you can not be sure of the questions to come then my advice is again to keep it simple. Overloading on too much reading can lead to a panic, but then too little also does this so a balance is necessary. I will say to just remember key themes and points, it will come down to writing on the spot with them in mind and will be (with the help of adrenal) easier than you think. This way you can answer any question thrown your way. The same rule applies though, i'd always scribble out your prompts in the back page even before you look at the questions!

Others have different routines I just find this way suits me for my type of exams. The quality of your writing is never to be marked as a handed in essay would, in terms of grammar, punctuation and spelling as they take into account the pressure of exams and time allotted but none the less do try to be as coherent as possible. I think your argument and ability to show what you read and know is most important.

Again keep it simple, just know the main points and apply them to your question and you'll do well. The very best of look to you, they are over before you know it and what a feeling that is! All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Hopefully this can help in some way Nuial!

http://issuu.com/malcallan/docs/mals_study_guide_

Advertisement