Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Selection on Netflix

• 21-12-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

Having recently taken out a subscription (free for the first month) I find the selection on Netflix Ireland very poor. On a random search of films, actors, directors that I like (Woody Allen, John Huston, Kurosawa, Jack Nicholson, the Cohens, Anthony Mann) I find very few available eg Huston's Chinatown. And even modern greats, like LA Confidential, or just very good, like The Descendants, are missing. In many cases available films with actors like George Clooney, Pacino, Pitt, Streep are their second rate offerings. As for foreign language films forget it. My guess is that most of these are available in other locations like the US, but not here. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No, you're not missing anything. Apparently there are some legal / license issues that prevent them from providing the full catalogue over here unfortunately. Still, I find there's enough on it to justify the low subscription fee.

If you're watching it on the computer / laptop you can use a US proxy to access the full catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The American one doesn't have a whole lot more than the Irish one but it does give you a few more options. The Canadian one has more again. Getting onto those other country versions is quite easy with a simple browser addon. I won't go into detail about that because I don't think mods like it.

But generally I agree, When I first signed up for it I expected an archive of all the best tv/movies. In reality what you get is a fairly small number, everytime I browse it I come across the same 40-50 things over and over. It's a great service but they've a ways to go in terms of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

are you allowed to ask how to set up us netflix or is that a no no i was going to take out a subscription to the [local] netflix but was not impressed with the films on view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Thanks for the comments and advice. Basically I took out the subscription to watch films on the larger screen TV and I'm disappointed at the range provided. Apart from the kind of gaps I mentioned in my original post I notice that even long standing Christmas classics are not there. It is useful though for catching up on early or missed shows from a limited number of TV series like Modern Family, or The Good Wife. But no Curb Your Enthusiasm, Frazier etc. However films were my main interest and on that score I will be cancelling my subscription before the free month runs out.

Thanks, Zascar. I went to the site you suggest (I'm using my iPad) but I was informed that "my operating system is not supported just yet". I guess it doesn't work with Apple mobile OS. But my main interest is films on TV rather than on my mobile devices or laptop. It's not obvious to me from the site how I should go about linking into Netflix US for my television.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I don't think there is anything you can do vis-à-vis TV (I've tried).

I agree with you though.

Irish Netflix is pretty poor.
    We dropped it after 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I find myself watching the TV Shows more than anything else on there.

For example, I watched the 'Netflix original' show Orange is the New Black yesterday and found it to be really good. Same with House of Cards. Am starting to watch Weeds now too. I am on a free subscription, don't know if I will keep it up (paying for it) , even with the US proxy version though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

For €7 a month it's a great service. I ain't going to try and convince you to keep it because you are expecting every film that was ever released to be on it. I'm sick of these *****y threads popping up all the time. There's plenty of great tv shows and documentaries that more than justify the price.

For €7 a month it's a great service. I ain't going to try and convince you to keep it because you are expecting every film that was ever released to be on it. I'm sick of these *****y threads popping up all the time. There's plenty of great tv shows and documentaries that more than justify the price.

Not asking for every film ever made (please point out where that was asked)

Just parity with other markets is not too much to ask for I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I got a 1 year subscription of Netflix in April for my Birthday and I haven't used it at all really, I find the selection really poor, I have SkyGo so that generally has me grand in terms of content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Does anyone know do any of the proxy services work with chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not asking for every film ever made (please point out where that was asked)

Just parity with other markets is not too much to ask for I think.

Big problem they have here is Sky own the on demand rights for lots of movies.

Phoebas wrote: »

I tried using a vpn app on my phone connected to the US.

I can see their content on the Netflix ap, however when selected it won't cast to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I dont know what people expect for 7 quid a month in fairness. Its a pretty damn good service, I think. Reliable, and at least you know some of the money is going back to the production companies. If everyone was pirating TV, there'd be no shows being made at all because they wouldnt be able to afford to make them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I can see their content on the Netflix ap, however when selected it won't cast to the TV.

Yeah, similar experience here. Shame that.

anyone who cant find something good go watch on the Irish netflix is either a liar or just someone who likes to complain. I regularly switch between the various stores and can always find something to watch. The selection may appear small but there's thousands of films on the Irish store and I'm assuming that all those calling it a rip off realise that there's more there then what just pops up. Calling a service that offers unlimited films and TV for under €2 a week a rip off is spouting utter nonsense. I bet that the same people would complain if the service cost €20 euro a month but had every film ever made.

anyone who cant find something good go watch on the Irish netflix is either a liar or just someone who likes to complain. I regularly switch between the various stores and can always find something to watch. The selection may appear small but there's thousands of films on the Irish store and I'm assuming that all those calling it a rip off realise that there's more there then what just pops up. Calling a service that offers unlimited films and TV for under €2 a week a rip off is spouting utter nonsense. I bet that the same people would complain if the service cost €20 euro a month but had every film ever made.

Who called it a rip-off?

Honestly.... Please quote that post.

We can all agree, Netflix is good.
    Whether we retain it or chose to unsubscribe.

But us paddies get the short end of the stick compared to other markets.

Please don't put words in peoples mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Who called it a rip-off?

Because Sky have the rights to show them here, not the fault of Netflix

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not just us - the UK selection is exactly the same. Same reason: Sky buying all the rights.
    Even so, there's more than enough there to keep me entertained. The fact they're producing their own shows, which are of a high quality (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Arrested Development) is great. They also focus a little on smaller films (obviously cheaper ones) which suits me because I've often seen the bigger releases anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yes it's true, Sky do own most on the rights which is one of the reasons the Horizon app is so restrictive I think too.
    I use SkyGo and that has a bunch of programmes I want and I use the individual TV3/RTÉ apps if I want to watch Irish content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I installed Hola on Nexus tablet.
    I can watch Netflix America, Canada and other countries. My Chromecast will NOT cast USA Netflix, but I can watch it on the tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeah, similar experience here. Shame that.

I can cast US Netflix no problem? Using Tunnelbear as my VPN and it casts from phone, tablet and laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

garroff wrote: »
    I can watch Netflix America, Canada and other countries. My Chromecast will NOT cast USA Netflix, but I can watch it on the tablet.

Just installed that hola app . cheers! !

Who called it a rip-off?

Every time this comes up people call the service a rip off. Time after time we get the same tired complaints and whinging.

The Irish netflix is fantastic. Granted it may not have the latest blockbusters but there's a huge selection of films and Tv there and at less than €2 a week you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just as a FYI, you dont have to pay for a proxy/VPN service or anything to get access to the US netflix. You can just change your IP settings to use a DNS server which directs all netflix requests to the US site. Can do this on your TV/Wii or whatever device you are using. Just search for videos on youtube that will show you how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Aeneas wrote: »
    Having recently taken out a subscription (free for the first month) I find the selection on Netflix Ireland very poor. On a random search of films, actors, directors that I like (Woody Allen, John Huston, Kurosawa, Jack Nicholson, the Cohens, Anthony Mann) I find very few available eg Huston's Chinatown. And even modern greats, like LA Confidential, or just very good, like The Descendants, are missing. In many cases available films with actors like George Clooney, Pacino, Pitt, Streep are their second rate offerings. As for foreign language films forget it. My guess is that most of these are available in other locations like the US, but not here. Am I missing something?

One of my favourite things about Netflix are the foreign films. Not sure if they are on the Irish version of it but there at least 5-10 brilliant South Korean films on it.

I thought the point about films on demand was that YOU got to choose what you wanted to see, not what someone else decided for you (TV does that well enough). This implies a wide range of choice, including an extensive back catalogue and the best films of recent years, none of which Netflix in Ireland provides. Pretty weak in fact for anyone interested in the cinema. I'm sure I could find something worth watching from its list but that's not why I would subscribe. I would be prepared to pay more for a really good film service, but this is not it.

• Advertisement

I would be prepared to pay more for a really good film service, but this is not it.
    How much more would you be willing to pay? Because that's the central nub. If Netflix doubled their price, allowing them to say double the size of their catalogue it might make a more attractive collection for you but put other people off. Hard to strike that balance unfortunately.

I thought the point about films on demand was that YOU got to choose what you wanted to see, not what someone else decided for you (TV does that well enough).

That's the problem. People have the wrong idea of what Netflix and other such services offer

I thought the point about films on demand was that YOU got to choose what you wanted to see, not what someone else decided for you (TV does that well enough). This implies a wide range of choice, including an extensive back catalogue and the best films of recent years, none of which Netflix in Ireland provides. Pretty weak in fact for anyone interested in the cinema. I'm sure I could find something worth watching from its list but that's not why I would subscribe. I would be prepared to pay more for a really good film service, but this is not it.

So basically you have unrealistic expectations about the service and don't understand what Netflix is all about.

Netflix is about having access to a huge back catalogue and it deliver in spades. There are thousands of TV shows and films on there and there really is something for everyone. You'll find some great cinema there that's unavailable anywhere else.

If you want an on-demand service with access to all the latest films then that's what the iTunes rental store is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Anyone looking for more recent 'Blockbuster'-type films should join NowTV - All of Sky's content they've acquired through Sky Movies is on it. But be warned, you're paying more (£8.99 a month) for a more restricted service (limited number of devices you can add/watch on, HD only goes as far as 720p and is only available on some devices, £8.99 only includes films, etc). I've a subscription to both Netflix and NowTV, only because NowTV had an offer at the time. While I've started to use it quite a bit in the past while, I wouldn't pay £8.99 for it. It's still quite fiddley to use, and the catalogue just isn't as vast as Netflix. Also, many of the modern films coming out are pure tripe so I find myself only using it now and again when something good pops up.

I'm happy to pay for Netflix as there is always going to be a few gems worth watching, and their commitment to creating original content is refreshing. Their acquired content is improving also, with more recent flicks showing up. Taking on Sky's mega movie-monopoly isn't an easy task, but is slowly going somewhere (Exclusive Disney deal will kick in in 2015/2016, so all Disney/Pixar/Lucas/Marvel films will be exclusive to them, deal with MGM to get The Hobbit films, etc). While the Irish Netflix is somewhat lacking for films, their TV catalogue is excellent. There's some fantastic series available in there, which well justifies the monthly cost. Seeing as this is the Television forum, OP I suggest checking out:

Orange is the New Black
    Breaking Bad
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Top of the Lake
    Rectify
    House of lies
    Arrested Development
    The Fall
    Mad Men

To name but a few.

I use US netflix mostly for the tv shows. I'm spoilt for choice at the moment with,

The West Wing, Sons of Anarchy, Twin Peaks, Battlestar Galactica, The Wonder Years, The X Files, Breaking Bad, OITNB, Lost, Prison Break, Parks & Recreation, Supernatural, Family Guy, 24, Dexter, Alias, Mad Men, Luther, Sherlock, American Horror Story, The Office, Frasier, Law & Order, Star Trek, Malcolm in the Middle, American Dad, Archer, That 70s Show, My Name is Earl, Saved by the Bell, 30 Rock, Scrubs, Cheers, Shameless, Peep Show, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Freaks & Geeks, Futurama, Trailer Park Boys, Louie, Heroes, The Tudors, CSI, Rescue Me, Medium, House of Cards, Ripper Street, Greys Anatomy, Buffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Dman001 wrote: »

Orange is the New Black
    Breaking Bad
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Top of the Lake
    Rectify
    House of lies
    Arrested Development
    The Fall
    Mad Men

To name but a few.

I've only watched 4 series from that list and loved them all. I've been looking for something new to watch, so will try the others. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

I accept the point that I expected too much from Netflix Ireland. And should have done my homework in advance. But I can always, and probably will, unsubscribe before the free month expires. The range of TV series available from Netflix US, mentioned above (many -most? - of which are not available here) illustrates the difference. I would be happy to pay the US subscription rate for the range and quality of US coverage. And what is the US rate?: $7.99 per month.

I accept the point that I expected too much from Netflix Ireland. And should have done my homework in advance. But I can always, and probably will, unsubscribe before the free month expires. The range of TV series available from Netflix US, mentioned above (many -most? - of which are not available here) illustrates the difference. I would be happy to pay the US subscription rate for the range and quality of US coverage. And what is the US rate?: $7.99 per month.

Install a browser addon called Hola and you'll be able to view the US Netflix selection. Hope thats OK to post here, if not, please delete.

It's east to get US netflix on an Irish account. I have US on my X1, Uk on my ipad and all regions on my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Student2014

Trying to suss out getting US Netflix on an ipad/Apple tv??

I changed the Primary and Secondary DNS on my playstation to do this before, same trick for ipad/Apple tv??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Trying to suss out getting US Netflix on an ipad/Apple tv??

I changed the Primary and Secondary DNS on my playstation to do this before, same trick for ipad/Apple tv??

For iPad, I'm not sure, for AppleTV, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Student2014

evilivor wrote: »
    For iPad, I'm not sure, for AppleTV, yes.

Seems to have worked. Any examples of shows or films not available here so I can make sure that it's working? Thanks

Seems to have worked. Any examples of shows or films not available here so I can make sure that it's working? Thanks
    'Flight' starring Denzel Washington is on US Netflix but not the UK/Ireland selection.

The Walking Dead and The X Files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I must say, the irish one is good for a couple of months and then useless because they rarely update it.
    If i couldn't use the Canadian or USA version i'd cancel the subscription. It is an amazing service, but the Irish updates suck

BTW i could swear Chinatown used to be on it, but one day it got taken down

EyeSight wrote: »
    BTW i could swear Chinatown used to be on it, but one day it got taken down
    Could well be. Netflix merely lease content from the major studios, giving them a licence to show it for a set period of time. That's why certain titles will vanish after a while and new ones added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

I don't think there is anything you can do vis-à-vis TV (I've tried).

I agree with you though.

Irish Netflix is pretty poor.
    We dropped it after 2 months.

Agree, all the films are the one I wouldn't be bothered watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think Netflix for Ireland and the UK was first announced in Oct 2011 to launch in 2012. I remember thinking yes, finally, the Irish consumer base would have access to legal content or than iTunes(?). I'm OK with finding stuff by alternate means, and have done for years, but I'm happy to pay for a good service, too.

I can see why some people may be a little disappointed in the Irish selection. There is a lot of crap on it, but I think that reflects entertainment in general as much as it does the licensing limitations, and believe me, I'm far from being a fan of stuff being locked down due to marketing, licensing, etc and to a degree, when selection is poor it will push people to look elsewhere. From the US one I've watched Freaks and Geeks, Twin Peaks (I've yet to finish) and few other bits. The core TV catalogue is better, no doubt. The Irish one some decent stuff as well, though, and they provided a few things the day after broadcast in the US, which was welcome. Yes, you can still access elsewhere, but hey. I dip between the two. I haven't watched the Godfather, yet, iirc, it's not on the US one. The Conversation is on both, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Like others I switch between the us and Irish versions. The service is great for the price and I get good value out of it. I used to buy the kids DVDs regularly and don't think I've bought a single one since we got Netflix so it saves me money in a way. In the past few months I've watched various tv shows like walking dead etc., and streaming through the Apple TV it is a pleasure to use and very reliable. If you can't find anything to watch on it then you are just too fussy, there is lots of good content on both versions.

Irish Netflix in Apple TV, USA Netflix on PS4. Best of both worlds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

lertsnim wrote: »
    Irish Netflix in Apple TV, USA Netflix on PS4. Best of both worlds

Exactly the same set-up I have myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement