Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Selection on Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I signed up for the free month trial at the start of December. I was always a bit sceptical about netflix.

I was totally wrong. I think its brilliant and I'm only using the Irish netflix. The interface is so user friendly. The catalogue of tv series is pretty good considering the how cheap it is. I'm working my way through Californication at the moment. I'll be keeping up the subscription. There's loads more that I plan on watching and hopefully they'll keep adding to the catalogue.

I'd like to try the US netflix. I saw how you can download the app to your browser to change your ip address on your pc / laptop however I don't like watching on a laptop. I prefer to watch it through the xbox 360. Is there some way to get US netflix through the xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

I prefer to watch it through the xbox 360. Is there some way to get US netflix through the xbox?

I had this before and I just had to change my DNS settings and the country to US. It doesn't work anymore so I guess the DNS servers are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I put HOLA on my tablet and connect it via HDMI cable to tv.
    Much better selection on USA Netflix.
    Chromecast wont cast USA Netflix to tv for me. Irish ok

Daith wrote: »
    I had this before and I just had to change my DNS settings and the country to US. It doesn't work anymore so I guess the DNS servers are down.

I just looked up a youtube video on that and the comments as recently as 1 month say that it was working. I can't try it until later. When did that stop working for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

I just looked up a youtube video on that and the comments as recently as 1 month say that it was working. I can't try it until later. When did that stop working for you?

Possible old DNS. I'll have another look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Exactly the same set-up I have myself.

is it the same for the PS4 as the PS3 , I have not really messed around with my PS4 yet, but as i already have it setup on my PS3 i am not bothered if it is awkward to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi -

I have chromecast and netflix - be interested to hear the steps for being able to cast US netflix...

Cheers,
    Mick
    I can cast US Netflix no problem? Using Tunnelbear as my VPN and it casts from phone, tablet and laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hi -

I have chromecast and netflix - be interested to hear the steps for being able to cast US netflix...

Cheers,
    Mick

Switch on VPN (Tunnelbear). Go to Netflix. Cast. I wasn't aware that there was an issue or I wouldn't have bought it.

It's working fine on my phone (HTC One) but has become very hit and miss on the tablet (Nexus 7). I was wrong about laptop - it won't cast from Chrome while on VPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

2smiggy wrote: »
    is it the same for the PS4 as the PS3

Yes. I have the US Netflix on my PS4

• Advertisement

Switch on VPN (Tunnelbear). Go to Netflix. Cast. I wasn't aware that there was an issue or I wouldn't have bought it.

It's working fine on my phone (HTC One) but has become very hit and miss on the tablet (Nexus 7). I was wrong about laptop - it won't cast from Chrome while on VPN.

With tunnel bear I can see the chromecast from Netflix on my nexus 4, but when I try to cast ant content, i get a content unavailable message. My nexus 10 can't see the chromecast at all when using tunnel bear

With tunnel bear I can see the chromecast from Netflix on my nexus 4, but when I try to cast ant content, i get a content unavailable message. My nexus 10 can't see the chromecast at all when using tunnel bear

My Nexus 7 used to work pretty well with it but an update to either the tablet or the Chromecast has messed it up. No issues with the HTC One though.

My Nexus 7 used to work pretty well with it but an update to either the tablet or the Chromecast has messed it up. No issues with the HTC One though.
    From reading it looks like it only works if the content you try to play is on both us and UK Netflix. Can you play say sky fall from the US Netflix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

You can`t clear your recently watched list?

That`s pretty lame...?

So for the US Netflix on the xbox 360 I tried changing the DNS setting as follows:

Primary DNS - 190.14.36.90
    Secondary DNS - 109.123.111.24

I was able to log in to US Netflix and I could see the whole catalogue but when I went to play anything it wouldn't work. Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is NowTv available in Ireland without tricking the computer into thinking it's somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So for the US Netflix on the xbox 360 I tried changing the DNS setting as follows:

Primary DNS - 190.14.36.90
    Secondary DNS - 109.123.111.24

I was able to log in to US Netflix and I could see the whole catalogue but when I went to play anything it wouldn't work. Anyone got any ideas?

The "MediaHint" addon for Chrome also works for getting US Netflix, but when I set it up on the iPad I had the same issue as you - can see the US catalogue but can't play anything.

I think some of the Netflix apps may have some additional security features to prevent proxying, whereas the browser version of Netflix has to obey whatever settings are in the browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

loyatemu wrote: »
    The "MediaHint" addon for Chrome also works for getting US Netflix, but when I set it up on the iPad I had the same issue as you - can see the US catalogue but can't play anything.

I think some of the Netflix apps may have some additional security features to prevent proxying, whereas the browser version of Netflix has to obey whatever settings are in the browser.

I find the addon Hola to be better and more stable than Mediahint, they also have an Android app which isnt quite as reliable but it still works pretty well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I find the addon Hola to be better and more stable than Mediahint, they also have an Android app which isnt quite as reliable but it still works pretty well

Hola really need to sort out an iPad app ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

recently got the Canadian Netflix and it was awesome. Then i saw what it was like in Brazil... They have so much on the Brazilian one! Even some great classics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I have the irish netflix for a few months now, and find it ok, im using my PS3 mainly for the kids, so is it only the DNS on the PS3 I need to change as I think the kids are bored now with the selection on the irish version is there more choice for them on the us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Always Sunny is still on the Irish Netflix isn't it? There's hours of entertainment right there, one of the best comedies ever.

Between that and Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights, Californication, Sherlock and a lot of other shows I have gotten huge amoints of viewing out of it. There's still things like Mad Men that I watched a season of and liked but never went on that are on the future list and stuff I'm currently making my way through like Chuck and Cheers. Unsure if all are on the Irish one but last time I was home I went on and was quite impressed by the movie selection and ever expanding overall collection.

It's one of those things that even if you watch 1 season of TV and 1 film a month you are getting value for money imo and with the amount on there I watch like 3 or 4 times that amount most months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Having read this I am going to attempt to switch my Wii over to using US Netflix later, but I have one question - is there anything we get on Irish Netflix that you DON'T get on US Netflix? Or indeed is there any easy way for me to compare catalogues?
    Thanks

Is sherlock (bbc latest version) on the irish netflix?
    Liam O wrote: »
    Always Sunny is still on the Irish Netflix isn't it? There's hours of entertainment right there, one of the best comedies ever.

Between that and Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights, Californication, Sherlock and a lot of other shows I have gotten huge amoints of viewing out of it. There's still things like Mad Men that I watched a season of and liked but never went on that are on the future list and stuff I'm currently making my way through like Chuck and Cheers. Unsure if all are on the Irish one but last time I was home I went on and was quite impressed by the movie selection and ever expanding overall collection.

It's one of those things that even if you watch 1 season of TV and 1 film a month you are getting value for money imo and with the amount on there I watch like 3 or 4 times that amount most months.

No Sherlock isn't on Irish Netflix. I checked it last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

DM addict wrote: »
    Having read this I am going to attempt to switch my Wii over to using US Netflix later, but I have one question - is there anything we get on Irish Netflix that you DON'T get on US Netflix? Or indeed is there any easy way for me to compare catalogues?
    Thanks

How are you going to do this? I use Netflix through a Wii and wouldn't mind seeing what the US one is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

There's some advice further up the thread which I'll try when I get home. I'll post and say how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

nc6000 wrote: »
    How are you going to do this? I use Netflix through a Wii and wouldn't mind seeing what the US one is like.

On the wii you can have multiple wireless profiles change DNS to open US DNS servers on one of your copnnections and then switch to that wireless profile - load up netflix and you're done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I was able to get it working on the iPad through the netflix app by changing the DNS settings so doubt there is any security preventing you from accessing us netflix. Did that some time ago and so far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

No Sherlock isn't on Irish Netflix. I checked it last night.

It is on the USA version though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is sherlock (bbc latest version) on the irish netflix?

No. It is on US Netflix though.

• Advertisement

From reading it looks like it only works if the content you try to play is on both us and UK Netflix. Can you play say sky fall from the US Netflix?

Interesting - Skyfall just hangs when trying to cast it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

netflix in the UK has removed 400 titles, so this might trickle down to ireland....lol, we'll have nothing left to watch then. very poor selection, lots of very old and pretty awful movies. no current blockbusters, no next day tv episodes after they air....no boxsets etc.

its very poor value imo.

jenjenten wrote: »
    netflix in the UK has removed 400 titles, so this might trickle down to ireland....lol, we'll have nothing left to watch then. very poor selection, lots of very old and pretty awful movies. no current blockbusters, no next day tv episodes after they air....no boxsets etc.

its very poor value imo.

You do understand that titles are removed and return regularly?

And whatever about the merits of the Irish selection I don't think less than 25c a day could ever be described as bad value.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

no current blockbusters, no next day tv episodes after they air....no boxsets etc.
    No current blockbusters? You expect movies that have just aired in the cinema to be present? That's unrealistic - that would, for one thing, collapse DVD / Blu-Ray sales which currently the same price as two months subscription.

Next day TV - Be nicer if it was more up-to-date but there's business reasons why it's tricky. For what it's worth they were first in delivering 'Breaking Bad' and are, for example, completely up-to-date on "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" with the US airings from December.

I don't know what people expect for €6.99 a month - it wouldn't even get you into a single film in the local cinema. Too much downloading for free has seriously warped people's expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I have actually noticed an improvement in Irish Netflix content recently, using it a lot again. Netflix are absolutely brilliant for squeezing every drop out of crap internet speeds like mine. Perfectly watchable (occasionally 720p, though that's rare, consistently 480p and with no buffering all) on 2 tvs with an internet speed of 3mb at best! Whilst that isn't perfect quality in this day and age, any other forms of streaming, legal or otherwise that I've tried are unwatchable here, so I'm more than happy with Netflix.

its very poor value imo.

Just because you don't understand how Netflix works doesn't mean that you can criticise them.

Films and shows routinely disappear from the service for a variety of reasons, but more often than not they reappear a few weeks later. Rights issues can be a nightmare and as such you have to expect that at times films will disappear.

As for the lack of blockbusters, well that was never an area that Netflix was interested in. The service is all about offering a back catalogue of titles and that's where it delivers. Where else will you find HD versions of The Friends of Eddie Coyle or Big Trouble in Little China or Life Firce all those great classics from cinemas golden age? I wonder if Netflix had all the latest and blandest 200 million dollar epics, would you be okay with pay 30-40 euro a month for the service?

What's the crap about next day TV? For gods sake they did it with Breaking Bad and the Killing but you cannot expect them to do it for every show. Hell it still takes UK and Irish broadcasters months to get some of the latest shows so why would you expect it from a service such as Netflix?

What do you mean by boxsets? Last time I used the service there were entire runs of hundreds if TV shows. Perhaps we have a different definition if what a boxset is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

its very poor value imo.

You were expecting next day tv episodes for a couple of Euro a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

We had the US Netflix set up through our PS3 until last night when it suddenly reverted to the Irish one (when we were 20 mins from the end of a film that's not on the Irish one)! Could anyone pm the DNS codes they're using as the ones we had don't work now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

nc6000 wrote: »

I got this working easily enough by manually setting up a 2nd wireless connection and putting in US DNS addresses.

The US version of Netflix has considerably more content on it. All the episodes of Cheers, Frasier, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Lost, Malcolm in the Middle etc and way more films too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Hi all.
    Just wondering if there is any way to view netflix on more then 2 devices at any given time, without taking out a second subscription?

Super hoop wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Just wondering if there is any way to view netflix on more then 2 devices at any given time, without taking out a second subscription?

you can already do this - I have it on about 8 devices.

Super hoop wrote: »
    Hi all.

You can upgrade your plan to let you view using up to 4 devices at the same time. It is about 50% more than the 2 device subscription.

you can already do this - I have it on about 8 devices.

I think he means viewing it on more than 2 devices at the same time.

psinno wrote: »

is this restricted? I know on Spotify if you're listening and someone starts using it on another device, your stream pauses. Haven't noticed it in Netflix though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

psinno wrote: »

Sorry, yeah I ment viewing on more than 2 devices at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

is this restricted? I know on Spotify if you're listening and someone starts using it on another device, your stream pauses. Haven't noticed it in Netflix though.
    Yep a message pops up if you try watch on more than 2 devices at one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

They have taken some kids stuff off like barney and little bear. Kids liked them in this house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm genuinely stumped as to how anyone can regard Netflix as poor value. I pay about 30 quid a month for UPC, which I watch a couple of hours a month, another thirty for Sky Sports, which gets used every couple of months for hours on end (Heineken Cup weekends are heaven) and seven quid a month on Netflix, which I've used to watch Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, House Of Cards, Arrested Development a fistful of films and God knows what else. On the list for the future is Doctor Who, Orange Is The New Black and the second season of House Of Cards. That's not including the two months my fiancee spent with a broken metatarsal, during which she hoovered up about ten different period dramas. Netflix isn't a replacement for Xtravision; it's a replacement for boxsets. Battlestar Galactica cost me sixty quid to buy and took about three months of leisurely watching to finish: sixty quid would have bought me nearly nine months on Netflix, to watch it and whatever else I wanted. It's ridiculously good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

DM addict wrote: »
    Thanks

I don't know how to compare catalogues but I know I switched my PS3 back to the Irish IP at one stage, I think we had more recent seasons of Modern Family than were available in the US.

I left it on the Irish version for a long time as they had all the shows I was following at the time but have now switched back to the US and the movie selection is much wider and more recent in the US.

It's a pity there is no easy way to flick back and fourth on the PS3. The whole netflix experience on the PS3 is generally pretty poor compared to the Browser, very difficult to browse by genre and the genre lists they generate on the home screen only suggest about 8 titles per randomly selected genre-row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Annoyingly I see South Park is off the Irish one :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement