Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Selection on Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

It turns out it's very easy to change to the US catalogue on the Wii.

All you have to do is change the primary and secondary DNS in the internet connection settings.

It means that my profile has been reset, which is a shame as I've had Netflix for a while now, and so it had some decent info for recommendations. However the increased choice is excellent.

If anyone wants more details on how to do it, PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

DM addict wrote: »
    It turns out it's very easy to change to the US catalogue on the Wii.

All you have to do is change the primary and secondary DNS in the internet connection settings.

It means that my profile has been reset, which is a shame as I've had Netflix for a while now, and so it had some decent info for recommendations. However the increased choice is excellent.

If anyone wants more details on how to do it, PM me.

your profile will still be there when you switch back to the Irish version. The "My List" feature only works on your home Netflix though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Has anyone then found a decent way of changing it for Android tablets? I'm on Android 4.4 and it seems SetupDNS doesn't work on the latest OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ixoy wrote: »
    Has anyone then found a decent way of changing it for Android tablets? I'm on Android 4.4 and it seems SetupDNS doesn't work on the latest OS.

Hola Unblocker works for me. That's free. If you want to pay, TunnelBear is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I just changed my netflix settings on my western digital play media player, to the US version and I'm not really sure what difference there is....

Can anyone enlighten me as to whats better about the US and Canada version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I just changed my netflix settings on my western digital play media player, to the US version and I'm not really sure what difference there is....

Different content on all the different countries version of Netflix. IF what you want to watch is on it, its better, if its not, its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Much bigger selection. Shows like the X Files, Walking Dead, Sherlock are all unavailable on the Irish Netflix. Lots more films and documentaries too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think you need to log out and log back in to see all the extra content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

You do understand that titles are removed and return regularly?

And whatever about the merits of the Irish selection I don't think less than 25c a day could ever be described as bad value.

25 cents a day? Well, well, aren't we quite the Rockerfeller.

It's worth no more than 7 cents a day and I refuse to go higher...

Canada seems to have the best conent imo.
    Watched Moneyball and The Descendants on there recently.

mickeyk wrote: »
    I think you need to log out and log back in to see all the extra content.
    yeah did that thanks... but as I am only new onto Netflix, i was unable to really tell the difference...

• Advertisement

We had the US Netflix set up through our PS3 until last night when it suddenly reverted to the Irish one (when we were 20 mins from the end of a film that's not on the Irish one)! Could anyone pm the DNS codes they're using as the ones we had don't work now :(

change DNS to 109.123.111.24

Just also thought that i would upload how to change the DNS Settings to watch the US Version on A WD Media Player for anyone else interested...

- got to setup
    - system >change timezone to eastern time (us & Canada)
    - network settings>network setup>change DNS to 109.123.111.24
    - turn off for 10 secs
    - turn back on and you should now be able to access the us Netflix

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

IPAD:

Settings / select your connected wifi / change DNS data to:

109.123.111.24, 190.14.36.90

( TIP: before this change, just take a snapshot of the screen - HOME & SLEEP buttons simultaneously and this will save a reference setup snap in your pictures library )

Job done.

To confirm the American flix, just search for "Intouchables". If the film shows up, then you're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The ratings system should tell you if you are on the American version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

If you can watch the X-Files, it's the US version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

cena wrote: »
    They have taken some kids stuff off like barney and little bear. Kids liked them in this house

And Bob The Builder and Thomas And Friends. Which is what it was used for mainly in this house. Less sure if it's worth the money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Netflix emailed me to say the price is going up by 1 euro but current customers won't see the increase for 2 years.
    I don't mind as long as they improve the irish content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dman001 wrote: »
    Anyone looking for more recent 'Blockbuster'-type films should join NowTV - All of Sky's content they've acquired through Sky Movies is on it. But be warned, you're paying more (£8.99 a month) for a more restricted service (limited number of devices you can add/watch on, HD only goes as far as 720p and is only available on some devices, £8.99 only includes films, etc). I've a subscription to both Netflix and NowTV, only because NowTV had an offer at the time. While I've started to use it quite a bit in the past while, I wouldn't pay £8.99 for it. It's still quite fiddley to use, and the catalogue just isn't as vast as Netflix. Also, many of the modern films coming out are pure tripe so I find myself only using it now and again when something good pops up.

I'm happy to pay for Netflix as there is always going to be a few gems worth watching, and their commitment to creating original content is refreshing. Their acquired content is improving also, with more recent flicks showing up. Taking on Sky's mega movie-monopoly isn't an easy task, but is slowly going somewhere (Exclusive Disney deal will kick in in 2015/2016, so all Disney/Pixar/Lucas/Marvel films will be exclusive to them, deal with MGM to get The Hobbit films, etc). While the Irish Netflix is somewhat lacking for films, their TV catalogue is excellent. There's some fantastic series available in there, which well justifies the monthly cost. Seeing as this is the Television forum, OP I suggest checking out:

Orange is the New Black
    Breaking Bad
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Top of the Lake
    Rectify
    House of lies
    Arrested Development
    The Fall
    Mad Men

To name but a few.

I'm signed to to Now TV for the free trial. The selection pales in comparison to Netflix (although there are some more recent movies there....no TV shows though as that is a seperate subscription!)

I won't be renweing after a month, the picture and audio quality also isn't anywhere near as good as netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

EyeSight wrote: »
    Netflix emailed me to say the price is going up by 1 euro but current customers won't see the increase for 2 years.
    I don't mind as long as they improve the irish content

Really enjoy Netfix but I'd be surprised if the content improved due to this price increase . Read up abit about in the states , looks like the CEO got a big fat pay increase . In 2 years time we might have Hulu here and some sort of competition to Netflix . Seems all these companies are increasing their prices , Sky is going up by a euro next month . UPC issued 2 price increases last summer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

And Bob The Builder and Thomas And Friends. Which is what it was used for mainly in this house. Less sure if it's worth the money now.

are you talking about the series' ? I was thinking that alright that over christmas it would only bring up the hour long features rather than the series. Sometimes though you just have to do a search for stuff rather than just relying on what's on the front screen. I loved the Thomas & Friends - mostly because it was only the first 4 series where they still used the actual model trains, and it didn't have the extremely irritating theme tune/song. (and Ringo Starr used to narrate :-) )

biggest upset in our house was Cars2 being taken off recently - it was played permanently for about 6 months! I nearly know it from start to finish :rolleyes:

I think the kids selection is great though - as soon as they started putting ads on Disney junior we switched off and its Netflix all the way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yeah, the series.
    Cars2 was also popular.
    The little fella is still quite young, so is fussy about what he watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Yeah, the series.
    Cars2 was also popular.
    The little fella is still quite young, so is fussy about what he watches.

Hey Arnold is gone to. I loved watching that show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think it's worth keeping in mind that stuff like Cars will back in a very short while. Netflix has tonnes of Disney content. Owing to the nature of digitals rights and what not, lots of stuff disappears from the time to time but reappears again very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

garroff wrote: »
    I installed Hola on Nexus tablet.
    I can watch Netflix America, Canada and other countries. My Chromecast will NOT cast USA Netflix, but I can watch it on the tablet.
    Just installed Holo on my tablet and am delighted. I have a subscription to US unblock and before I cancel it just wanted to check if this a good idea. Im watching canadian netflix at the moment, Homeland first season, never thought id see it on netflix.

Thanks for the holo tip guys,

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Watch the documentary "Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010) " on American Netflix.
    Fantastic.

Living in the Arctic tundra.
    If you know of any documentaries like this please let me know.

• Advertisement

garroff wrote: »
    Watch the documentary "Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010) " on American Netflix.
    Fantastic.

Living in the Arctic tundra.
    If you know of any documentaries like this please let me know.

40 best documentaries on (US) Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If you use an American based dns ,does the speed/quality of your connection depend on that dns server or does it only use the foreign dns to initiate the download ?

If you use an American based dns ,does the speed/quality of your connection depend on that dns server or does it only use the foreign dns to initiate the download ?

I assume the DNS just redirects your Netflix traffic to a proxy/VPN type service (the DNS address mentioned further up the thread belongs to PlaymoTV who run just such a service).

Has anyone ever been cut off for using the US Netflix or similar? Someone told me a while back not to do it.

Karsini wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been cut off for using the US Netflix or similar? Someone told me a while back not to do it.

Cut off by who? Doubt netflix would cut you off, they might, if they wanted to, bump you back to Irish version, but don't think they would want to lose their 7 euro a month.

• Advertisement

Cut off by who? Doubt netflix would cut you off, they might, if they wanted to, bump you back to Irish version, but don't think they would want to lose their 7 euro a month.

I suppose it depends on whether they see it as a TOS violation or not. But if they aren't cutting anyone off, then it's obviously not an issue.

Karsini wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on whether they see it as a TOS violation or not. But if they aren't cutting anyone off, then it's obviously not an issue.

I've not heard of anyone being cut off, not to say it's never happened though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I seriously doubt they care whether people are accessing the US version or not. The only difference is that they do not own the rights to these shows in the UK and Ireland.. Unless they were forced to stop people they are more than happy to take your €84 a year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

lertsnim wrote: »
    Big problem they have here is Sky own the on demand rights for lots of movies.

I can't remember exactly where I read it but I'm pretty sure that Sky's claim to exclusivity rights (whereby they can air content up to 24 months before any other broadcaster) expires in 2016. They make rights agreements with the distributors for the most part and the studios directly for the content which is deemed to be in high demand but that has a shorter shelf-life AFAIK. Netflix are currently in a rights battle with Sky to acquire the rights as of 2016 onwards and from what I remember are in a prime position to basically oust Sky from the streaming market.

I'm open to correction and if I can find the article(s) I will post them here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sam Mac wrote: »
    For example, I watched the 'Netflix original' show Orange is the New Black yesterday and found it to be really good. Same with House of Cards. Am starting to watch Weeds now too. I am on a free subscription, don't know if I will keep it up (paying for it) , even with the US proxy version though.

Both of these shows were excellent. We have started watching Lillehammer aswell which is enjoyable and is another netflix original. Hemlock Grove on the other hand was awful. Also got to look at the entire back catalogue of Dr Who and am currently working through Breaking Bad.

€6.99 per month with no adds? That is cheaper than a TV licence by a long way.

Season 2 of House of Cards (all episodes together) is available from Feb 14th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Season 2 of House of Cards (all episodes together) is available from Feb 14th.
    Spacey, class! Have been waiting on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

For me House of Cards is the best show I’ve seen for years. Well worth checking out for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've been told that the original British version of House of Cards is even better than the US version and worth checking out - it is available on Netflix.

I found Lillehammer ok, Hemlock Grove I really wanted to like but 5 and a half episodes in I just gave up, it was awful. I do find that I run out of things to watch and have to go searching but I started watching Spooks from the start at the weekend. I have never seen an episode before and I am hooked...there are several seasons on Netflix so no doubt that will keep me busy for a while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Brotherhood is a good show and worth a watch, full series is on netflix irl.

Watched spooks last year myself, was hooked from the start but it did lose it's way a bit in later seasons IMO. The last season was missing off netflix so I had to borrow a box set to finish it, not sure if they have put it up at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    €6.99 per month with no adds? That is cheaper than a TV licence by a long way.

Too bad you'll be hit with the Broadcast license anyway even if all you watch is Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Daith wrote: »
    Too bad you'll be hit with the Broadcast license anyway even if all you watch is Netflix.

I have a TV too but don't pay any cable fees etc so netflix is the only TV we get.
    My point was to highlight what you get for your money in Netflix as opposed to what you get for twice the price with your TV licence.

But not trying to go off topic on a TV licence thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have a TV too but don't pay any cable fees etc so netflix is the only TV we get.
    My point was to highlight what you get for your money in Netflix as opposed to what you get for twice the price with your TV licence.

But not trying to go off topic on a TV licence thread.

No absolutely it's great value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

miamee wrote: »
    I started watching Spooks from the start at the weekend. I have never seen an episode before and I am hooked...there are several seasons on Netflix so no doubt that will keep me busy for a while :D

Spooks is one of the best tv shows to come out of the UK, I watched from the start and it was a killer every year wondering would it be back.

That is the great thing about Netflix it has saved me thousands on box sets I would have bought over the last two years.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Brotherhood is a good show and worth a watch, full series is on netflix irl.

Excellent show.
    miamee wrote: »
    I've been told that the original British version of House of Cards is even better than the US version and worth checking out - it is available on Netflix.

It is better and well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

For those that have american/Canadian netflix, The West Wing, entire series is there. Damages and The Good Wife are also quite good. Friday Night Lights, Madmen, Scandal and The Tudors I found really good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

For those that have american/Canadian netflix, The West Wing, entire series is there. Damages and The Good Wife are also quite good. Friday Night Lights, Madmen, Scandal and The Tudors I found really good too.

Not to mention the X Files, Walking Dead, Sherlock and The Fall. I love Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Anybody have codes for canada netflix, need it for the console not hola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brijay wrote: »
    Anybody have codes for canada netflix, need it for the console not hola

Funny, I don't think we are allowe discuss it, but I will just say that I have only ever come across DNS coses (i.e. for the PS3) for the US version - never the Canadian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Some amazing South Korean thrillers on the US Netflix. Just google a US DNS and set it to that.

Advertisement