Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Selection on Netflix

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

garroff wrote: »
    I installed Hola on Nexus tablet.
    I can watch Netflix America, Canada and other countries. My Chromecast will NOT cast USA Netflix, but I can watch it on the tablet.

Never heard of Hola before, cheers for the heads up, it's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

I've changed my mind a bit about Netflix since my first post.
    I still think the film selection on Netflix Ireland is poor. I'm not so much interested in the latest blockbusters as good well made drama. Check any list of the best 100 films against what is available on Netflix and you will find that only a handful, if even that, are available on the site. But then as someone pointed out my expectations on this score were probably too high. Even so, a film site that is missing most of the classics of the cinema as well as the best in contemporary film is seriously deficient. I also think it is bad value compared with what you get for the same subscription in the US and Canada (as many of the posts above confirm. Why else would people go to the trouble of finding workarounds to get the US site?).
    All that said, it has some good points. The quality of the picture is for the main part excellent, even here in non-fiber-optic land. It's convenient for catch up on TV series like Modern Family, The Good Wife, or Louis Theroux. Some of its own programming, like House of Cards, is first class. And when there is nothing attractive on TV (too often even with Sky's huge list of stations. Anyone for another look at Jamie Oliver? or reruns of Graham Norton?) you can usually find something entertaining or diverting.
    So I have not cancelled my subscription. But then I guess those guys at Netflix knew that all the time, which is why they entice you in with the free month in the first place.
    Plus, I think the future of television and home entertainment will look something like Netflix. As broadband speeds and quality improve very soon the competition between UPC and Sky over how many programmes you can record on their respective boxes will look old fashioned, and films on TV (a staple of the medium) will cease to be important, because everything will be available for streaming all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

I use this blog to see what movies and TV Shows are added daily as sometimes I feel you can skip over them. Find it useful. Normally the first of every month there is a decent amount added and then throughout the month a few movies and shows are added.

Step Brothers is now on it :)

http://netflixirelandcompletelist.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

But there's no "catalogue" anywhere. Every season on that blog is listed as if its a seperate title. Just seems redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

seiphil wrote: »
    I use this blog to see what movies and TV Shows are added daily as sometimes I feel you can skip over them. Find it useful. Normally the first of every month there is a decent amount added and then throughout the month a few movies and shows are added.

Step Brothers is now on it :)

http://netflixirelandcompletelist.blogspot.ie/

Thanks for that. I see there the unit has been added. Always meant to give that a try.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I see there the unit has been added. Always meant to give that a try.

For the first two series it's bloody good fun but alas it then focuses far too much on the boring wives tales and gets to a point where the boys are searching for the spear that pierced christ's side and things just go way downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

Find it strange that you can't get most English Tv shows on Netflix Ireland. I'm using Zenmate on Chrome at the Moment to watch the american one but watching on the laptop isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Tails142 wrote: »
    Just as a FYI, you dont have to pay for a proxy/VPN service or anything to get access to the US netflix. You can just change your IP settings to use a DNS server which directs all netflix requests to the US site. Can do this on your TV/Wii or whatever device you are using. Just search for videos on youtube that will show you how.

If you do switch to a US DNS server or use a VPN I presume then that the content is streamed from the US rather than a cache based in Europe (Dublin or London probably)

Any performance problems with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

D1stant wrote: »
    If you do switch to a US DNS server or use a VPN I presume then that the content is streamed from the US rather than a cache based in Europe (Dublin or London probably)

Any performance problems with that?

There's no performance difference. The physical location of the content doesn't change, just what you have access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There's no performance difference. The physical location of the content doesn't change, just what you have access to.

there is a difference, its being streamed via a proxy in the US (or wherever). This is the case whether you're using VPN or DNS based services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

loyatemu wrote: »
    there is a difference, its being streamed via a proxy in the US (or wherever). This is the case whether you're using VPN or DNS based services.

I know that it's streaming via a proxy but when I say there isn't a difference, I'm referring to performance difference and I haven't noticed an ounce of a difference between accessing the US one and the Irish one via an Xbox.

What difference have you noticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

loyatemu wrote: »
    Unless you're using a crappy vpn, there should be no difference. Maybe an extra couple ms buffering but not much more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I have no performance issues using any of the different Netflix versions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I just watched a doc on Bill Withers called Still Bill, and it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All 8 seasons of House added to the US Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

groovie wrote: »
    I just watched a doc on Bill Withers called Still Bill, and it was great.

20 Feet from Stardom and Being Elmo are also excellent if you like a good documentary.

20 Feet from Stardom and Being Elmo are also excellent if you like a good documentary.

Being Elmo is a great documentary.

I really would love to see a Being Elmo 2 this could be really interesting following his resignation from Sesame Street and what went with that. Can't see an offical Doc happening anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

+1 on Being Elmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I have watched 20 Feet From Stardom, and it is great. Must check out Elmo soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Irish netflix has improved in recent weeks with shows like homeland, sherlock, sons of anarchy season 5 etc. - a respectabe catalogue being built there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

donfers wrote: »
    Irish netflix has improved in recent weeks with shows like homeland, sherlock, sons of anarchy season 5 etc. - a respectabe catalogue being built there

Yes agree, also with Gavin and Stacey, the Royle family and Suits plus lots more only thing missing for me is The West Wing my all time favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

+1 on Being Elmo
    groovie wrote: »
    I have watched 20 Feet From Stardom, and it is great. Must check out Elmo soon.

I enjoyed Being Elmo.

Although this taints it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Anyone having problems syncing audio and video on Netflix through Chromecast?

It seems to be out a fraction of a second, but enough to make viewing less than satisfactory.

Fargo the series is now being shown weekly on Netflix Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Anyone having problems syncing audio and video on Netflix through Chromecast?

It seems to be out a fraction of a second, but enough to make viewing less than satisfactory.

Yes, having same problem & your right, very annoying. Have you figured out a solution by any chance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Watched the entire series of Orange Is The anew Black over the past 2 nights on Netflix. Highly, highly recommend it.

Great programme, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah it is a decent enough series. Season 2 is out in June

Advertisement