Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Lights

Options
  • 21-12-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

Just to pick up on a point i another thread, does anyone think that the sequencing at some of the lights is crazy?

I was pulling down onto the main Cork Road from Claremont (side of the old Glass Factory) on Saturday evening last at 6:45pm.

The lights were staying on for ten seconds, allowing three to four cars through. There was a tailback all the way to Paddy Brown's Road.

On a similar note the new lights at Ballytruckle - coupled with the strangling of the Folly to one lane only - are causing havoc. The traffic was going from the new lights to the top of the Folly yesterday (Friday).

There is also still a filter light for the now-closed ABB entrance on the Cleaboy Road which is still coming on. There are others, but I can't think of them now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭thomasm

Put this on the traffic mess on quay thread a few mins ago

"I have noticed from about 4 pm onwards the lights at the tower hotel to go down the mall change to a sequence that's only allows 3-4 cars at a time go through. Causes some delays"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

thomasm wrote: »

"I have noticed from about 4 pm onwards the lights at the tower hotel to go down the mall change to a sequence that's only allows 3-4 cars at a time go through. Causes some delays"

Thanks Thomas. I lifted it from that thread actually.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i find its not the lights that are the problem!!! but the slow arse fool at front that does'nt accelerate fast enough causes the problems, to be fair there are some dopes on the road who should'nt be allowed own a car, yes i drive for a living

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's not just from 4pm, was on a bus at 1pm and it was happening.

The inside lanes on the quays should be all bus lanes to actually encourage use of public transport in the city as the cc are doing SFA at the minute only making things worse. Just wait until the other roundabouts go in and things will get even worse.

i find its not the lights that are the problem!!! but the slow arse fool at front that does'nt accelerate fast enough causes the problems, to be fair there are some dopes on the road who should'nt be allowed own a car, yes i drive for a living

Still though - ten seconds? You'd hardly get the car in gear!!

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    Still though - ten seconds? You'd hardly get the car in gear!!
    to be fair if your at front of the que you should have the car in gear and just foot on brake waiting for green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

7upfree wrote: »

I was pulling down onto the main Cork Road from Claremont (side of the old Glass Factory) on Saturday evening last at 6:45pm.

The lights were staying on for ten seconds, allowing three to four cars through. There was a tailback all the way to Paddy Brown's Road.

I find this very hard to believe..in all my years of driving i have never seen the traffic backed up as far as paddy browns road especially on a Saturday evening.

I find this very hard to believe..in all my years of driving i have never seen the traffic backed up as far as paddy browns road especially on a Saturday evening.

Well, it was. 6:00pm Mass in St. Paul's had finished which added to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think that's the problem with drivers in general. Whether it be roundabouts or traffic lights - never ready. Coming up to a roundabout and there is a car a good distance from their exit, but because its within line of sight they sit and wait for the car to come when its perfectly safe to move on.

I was always told that if you are 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the traffic lights queue, be ready to roll and don't sit in neutral with the handbreak up. Thus when the light goes green, you are good to go. If the people at the back pay attention, it gives them time to get in gear and be ready to roll.

Overall, traffic lights in the city can be poor depending on the time of the day. The one outside the Tower Hotel in particular doesn't let many cars out at a time in the evening.

Sully wrote: »
    I think that's the problem with drivers in general. Whether it be roundabouts or traffic lights - never ready. Coming up to a roundabout and there is a car a good distance from their exit, but because its within line of sight they sit and wait for the car to come when its perfectly safe to move on.

I was always told that if you are 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the traffic lights queue, be ready to roll and don't sit in neutral with the handbreak up. Thus when the light goes green, you are good to go. If the people at the back pay attention, it gives them time to get in gear and be ready to roll.

Overall, traffic lights in the city can be poor depending on the time of the day. The one outside the Tower Hotel in particular doesn't let many cars out at a time in the evening.
    that annoys the crap outta me too, sometimes i feel like ramming the truck up there ass but i know that would get me no where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭thomasm

Sully wrote: »

I like the UK system where it goes to orange first to let you know green is coming. Helps avoid the above situation and could not be to hard to implement here

I like the UK system where it goes to orange first to let you know green is coming. Helps avoid the above situation and could not be to hard to implement here
    some people are so thick here that they would prob think its gonna go red again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Or in most Asian countries ive been to they have a countdown timer to let you know how many seconds until the light go's green..although Bangkok's traffic isnt quite the same as Waterford's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

to be fair if your at front of the que you should have the car in gear and just foot on brake waiting for green

that's not good for your clutch though.

Or in most Asian countries ive been to they have a countdown timer to let you know how many seconds until the light go's green..although Bangkok's traffic isnt quite the same as Waterford's :)

Good idea that. And the UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

The counsel have really messed up the traffic going down the Folly in a big way, first of all they got rid of the two lanes and then they changed the traffic light system, it really is messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

The traffic lights at Summerland are the worst ever. Traffic always flows much smoother there when the lights are out of action for maintenance.
    Noticed the one at ABB last week as well. Surprised it hasn't been taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I spent 20 mins at the Credit Union junction today, so long I was able to safely take a photo.

Green / red / green / red , nobody moving.

the car in front wasn't sure of the area and only wanted to turn right, so I couldn't escape, tried a u turn but it was jammers behind me.

ZesXHKSaNvDc6jnhuMs1BOP8sqpxrIrjC_f-2-49pxQ=w721-h541-no

The only way through town is over Ballybricken, down Thomas St, Down Gladstone St and down the quay, passing off al the improvements!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I spent 20 mins at the Credit Union junction today, so long I was able to safely take a photo.

Green / red / green / red , nobody moving.

the car in front wasn't sure of the area and only wanted to turn right, so I couldn't escape, tried a u turn but it was jammers behind me.

ZesXHKSaNvDc6jnhuMs1BOP8sqpxrIrjC_f-2-49pxQ=w721-h541-no

The only way through town is over Ballybricken, down Thomas St, Down Gladstone St and down the quay, passing off al the improvements!

But that probably didn't happen;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I was going to start a thread about this last week after being stuck on the quay for over 20 minutes.. but I calmed down.

The traffic lights from the Tower Hotel Junction heading on the Cork Road until the Tramore junction are shocking. Letting 3-4 cars through at a time will never clear the quays. Of course, once you get past the junction at the tower hotel, you have at least 2 more sets of lights that will further increase your blood pressure. They really should have the lights green for longer to help clear the quays.

Personally, because driving through the city center is such an ordeal (even when there is only a little traffic) makes me less likely to go into the city center shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I don't mind them tinkering with the traffic on the quay so the council can beg for a new bridge or what ever hair brained scheme they are following,

but the traffic is making using the kennelleys bus no use, its quicker walking from the bridge hotel to the tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Not always a good idea, I've seen drivers up North start moving on red and yellow before they get to see the green. Our light system is safer as no one is moving until the green light shows.

I remember reading a old thread which one post did mention Dublin's first ever set of lights installed many years ago which originally had red and yellow before green but this was dropped shortly afterwards because of concerns that drivers were moving before the green light showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I remember as a kid when the very first set of traffic lights were fitted in Waterford at the car stand (the foundry to you kids) now I don't think you could count the number .
    The car is becoming the enemy in our cities whether we like it or not.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I remember as a kid when the very first set of traffic lights were fitted in Waterford at the car stand (the foundry to you kids) now I don't think you could count the number .
    The car is becoming the enemy in our cities whether we like it or not.

I think the City planners are a bigger one.;):)

Advertisement